Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

smoked corners help

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 08:46 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default smoked corners help

i bought smoked corners off ebay and from day 1 they filled up with water and im tired of changing bulbs. i took them out today and im tryin to dry them out. Finally got them mostly dry. Whats the best way to keep the water out of them?
Old 06-14-2007, 08:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/732113-tail-light-condensation.html
Old 06-14-2007, 08:54 PM
TECH Regular

i got corners off ebay when i bought my halos...i havent had any problems with the water. but other guys have said they used some sealant on them and no problems...i'd search and check what other guys have to say.
Old 06-15-2007, 12:38 PM
TECH Regular

thanks for the replies...

i sealed them -- what is the best way to dry the sealant. I dont have 24 hours to wait. Blowdryer? Leave out in the sun?

Thanks
Old 06-15-2007, 01:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just used clear silicone in a tube from the auto parts store. You are talking about the blinker lights....the ones below the headlights? If that's the case, the culprit with those things are that the big bulb, that plugs in from on top, doesn't make a good seal, so that any water runnind down in front of the headlamps lands up right on top that poorly sealing bulb and gets right into the them. I used the silicone stuff on every surface, meaning...when you have the bulb out and it's facing up, I siliconed that surface, then plugged the bulb in, and sealed all the way around the plug from on top as well. Worked on my car...no problems with leaks there anymore at all.

My friend just got the same ones for her car and she has the same problems, so I'll pick her car up later today and repeat the procedure.

To get most of the water out and stuffed a lint free paper towel in there. After that I got a blowdryer and positioned it blow into the big bulb hole. Dried up no problem.

I'd do that at night when you come home for the day, dry it out, then silicone it and leave it sit over night and you should be good.

Manny
Old 06-15-2007, 01:24 PM
TECH Regular

hey manny, thanks for the info

i used black rtv sealant -- but i only did it this morning and im hopin it'll dry up enough to be able to wash my car. i have it outside but there is too much cloud cover. i'm thinkin about takin a blowdryer to it

also, with the sealant, did u just put a line of bead around the opening or what? thanks again
Old 06-15-2007, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok...so we are talking about the front corner lights, the ones right below the headlights, right? If that's the case, then yes, I used clear silicone on every mating surface, inside and out. That stuff stays soft, so if the bulb burns out, it's pretty easy to remove it and open it up to replace the bulb.
Old 06-15-2007, 02:57 PM
TECH Regular

cool, thanks a lot.
Old 06-15-2007, 02:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Another vote for clear silicone. Haven't had a problem since.
Old 06-16-2007, 02:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MannyZ28
Ok...so we are talking about the front corner lights, the ones right below the headlights, right? If that's the case, then yes, I used clear silicone on every mating surface, inside and out. That stuff stays soft, so if the bulb burns out, it's pretty easy to remove it and open it up to replace the bulb.
when u say every matin surface, exactly what r u referring to??
Old 06-16-2007, 03:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Yahelou
when u say every matin surface, exactly what r u referring to??
If you have the big plug that houses the blinker light in your hand and pointing up, there should be a rubber gasket on that plug below the bulb, I put silicone on that thing, then plugged the socket into the housing and put silicone all the way around the socket just to make double sure no water will get into it.