Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

My new exhaust, yup it's appearance related...

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 10:22 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default My new exhaust, yup it's appearance related...

I am posting it here in the appearance section to I'll stop getting PM's everyday about what my exhaust looks like (basically wanting to know how I can have it so low in the front and not have problems) and because I think it looks nice

This is basically a how-to for guys who want to be as dropped as I am but still have a performance exhaust, here's the story...

It started with me buying Hawaii Mark's LT's (to replace the headers and y-pipe that were mangled after the wife drove the car) and went to Strictly Performance to pick up the y-pipe (Mark had left it there)...

I didn't realize Hooker's had the huge 3-bolt flange's for connectors and my car being as low as it is I knew it would get ripped off... :help:

SO, Rob recommended me to his exhaust guy (to get them modified to work). I ended up not going with the Hookers (due to ground clearance) but have a really cool custom setup that they did for me...

I had them cut off the ball flanges from my MAC headers (the headers are 3" but neck down to 2 1/4"... I dremeled it out some but 2 1/2" is all I could get it to and the y-pipe is only 2 1/2" anyways...). They replaced them with V-Band Clamps so it is a STRAIGHT 3" shot from the header into my new, mandrel bent 3" y-pipe...

It then goes into a Flowmaster dual 3" to 4" collector, then into my 4" Mufflex system with Spintech muffler and dual 3" out

Should be pretty high flowing (I had ported the MAC's before I installed them as well) and still retain some torque. Definetly more than enough for the F13 on a 112 + 2 that I am about to throw at it

The best part is there are NO LEAKS, NO VIBRATIONS, NO RUBBING, and NO KNOCKING INTO THE FLOOR !!!

Anyways, without further ado here's some pics:

NOTE: Yes, the under side of my car needs attention... Places that were "clearanced" will get paint, the rear end will get it's leak fixed when it gets gears as will the tranny's when it gets a stall converter...

Old 06-14-2007, 10:22 PM
Banned

Here's some pics on the ground for clearance references (it is a LOT better than before, trust me):

Yes, I hit curbs... The front bumper will be repainted (again) with the hood... Then if I scrape the bottom more it's getting taped off and black rubber/undercoating sprayed on

Old 06-14-2007, 10:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks really good! thanks for the info, im currently debating on how i want my exhaust to be since i just lowered my z with the eibach prokit and there isn't much room to play with. how does a 4inch catback sound too... nice and deep? over all good write up though!!
Old 06-14-2007, 10:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by drummydummy
looks really good! thanks for the info, im currently debating on how i want my exhaust to be since i just lowered my z with the eibach prokit and there isn't much room to play with. how does a 4inch catback sound too... nice and deep? over all good write up though!!
Yeah, with the Spintech it's pretty throaty... Best part of this exhaust is when you have a cam though. I had a simlar setup (Hooker LT's instead of MAC's) on my 1994 Z:

...and with just an LT4 Hot Cam kit it sounded INCREDIBLE! It just ECHOES in the Spintech and TRULY sounds like and old big-block car that's cam'd with duals
Old 06-14-2007, 11:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Clearance looks great! I have just never liked the way them big box mufflers look from the rear. But they do sound nice.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jakson
Clearance looks great! I have just never liked the way them big box mufflers look from the rear. But they do sound nice.
Me neither but you can't beat the sound
Old 06-14-2007, 11:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Maybe if you painted it with some hightemp flat black it would look ok. My TDs are hightemp flat black, and it looks better so they arn't so noticable from the sides since they sit so damn close to the ground
Old 06-14-2007, 11:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

nice almost looks like a stock mac except it doesnt hang low.
Old 06-15-2007, 12:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

looks great man, but to put all that money into custom exhaust i would have had everything coated so as to avoid anything getting rusted.....
Old 06-15-2007, 02:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 01FormulaTA
looks great man, but to put all that money into custom exhaust i would have had everything coated so as to avoid anything getting rusted.....
Yeah, it sucks I don't still live in Florida... My friend Chris (Whistler) does great ceramic coating

He's a sponsor on here though if you ever need anything
Old 06-15-2007, 02:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jakson
Maybe if you painted it with some hightemp flat black it would look ok. My TDs are hightemp flat black, and it looks better so they arn't so noticable from the sides since they sit so damn close to the ground
Do you mean the pipes or the muffler?

I do like the stealth look (hence my black BMR boxed SFC's, black LCA, black, Panhard rod... I even painted the Koni's black )
Old 06-15-2007, 11:17 AM
On The Tree

I noticed that you took off the rear tunnel cross brace. Have you noticed any differences in the handling of the car?
Old 06-15-2007, 12:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by blackraven
I noticed that you took off the rear tunnel cross brace. Have you noticed any differences in the handling of the car?
That flimsy thing doesn't usually stay on any of my cars past a month (the amount of time it usually takes me to put an exhaust on a new car)

Never felt a difference !
Old 06-15-2007, 12:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

damn, that clearance you have is making me jealous. i only have 1.5" under my cat on the drivers side. very nice job.

if you care aabout rust or looks then you can just use high temp silver paint. I did that to clean up the looks of my used mac mids and it make a world of difference.

Old 06-15-2007, 12:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fast01z28
damn, that clearance you have is making me jealous. i only have 1.5" under my cat on the drivers side. very nice job.

if you care aabout rust or looks then you can just use high temp silver paint. I did that to clean up the looks of my used mac mids and it make a world of difference.

How well has the paint held up? I can easily remove the y-pipe and just may paint it that color...
Old 06-15-2007, 02:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DEMONBIRD
Do you mean the pipes or the muffler?

I do like the stealth look (hence my black BMR boxed SFC's, black LCA, black, Panhard rod... I even painted the Koni's black )
I was talkin about your muffler in an attempt to try and hide the big box I was just saying how my TDs are painted black so they arnt as noticable from the sides. Your pipes are tucked up pretty nice, so you dont have to worry about it.
Old 06-15-2007, 02:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Are your clamps bleed air clamps for aircraft? i've seen some just like that on the jets i've worked on.

JG
Old 06-15-2007, 08:10 PM
On The Tree

whats the name of the exhaust shop that did the work? im about to do a 05 bumper conversion on my gto, and want a shop to bend up some 2.5" duals, and use my loudmouth mufflers, along w/ an h-pipe.
Old 06-16-2007, 01:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by sneaky7980
Are your clamps bleed air clamps for aircraft? i've seen some just like that on the jets i've worked on.

JG
V-band clamps are what they are called... Not sure what is used on aircraft. I know the Camaro Concept Convertible is sporting them as well (towards the back at least)
Old 06-16-2007, 01:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by HellaciousA
whats the name of the exhaust shop that did the work? im about to do a 05 bumper conversion on my gto, and want a shop to bend up some 2.5" duals, and use my loudmouth mufflers, along w/ an h-pipe.
Shoot me a PM or e-mail and I'll get you the phone number...

Quick Reply: My new exhaust, yup it's appearance related...