Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Claybarring - Will any claybar work?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 01:52 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Claybarring - Will any claybar work?

I noticed the arts and crafts store also has claybars. Is it safe to use those on the car? Is that the same type of clay that comes in car detailing kits? I mean, clay is clay, right? They were pretty cheap and inexpensive.
Old 06-20-2007, 02:17 AM
Launching!

I can't say for sure but I wouldn't count on it. Just stick with the stuff made for automobiles.
Old 06-20-2007, 04:24 AM
((((((Administrator))))))

NO!!!!!!!!!!!

The clay bar kit you buy at like Autozone has a spray lubricant:

https://store.mothers.com/product_in...products_id=26

"You've heard about clay bars — professional detailers, body men and your car buddies all talk about how well it works. Now use the clay bar everybody wants. Created to lift the particulate debris and contaminants that washing can't, our exclusive Paint Saving System will remove embedded grains of metal, tree sap, airborne environmental deposits and paint overspray. Better yet, our clay bar isn't hazardous to your paint — it's just firm enough to pick up the bad stuff, without being too aggressive. Use Mothers® Clay Bar to get rid of paint-fouling grime and pave the way for complete waxing.
#07240 includes 80 gram Clay Bar, 16 oz. Showtime® Instant Detailer, 4 oz. Carnauba Cleaner Wax.

I'm sure the automotive brands clay bar is probably better than any hooby store. Because I'd bet its more pure/cleaner, imagine some trash in the clay bar and your grinding it into your paint when you use it.

Just don't be a cheap *** (no offense) and buy one from an auto store. The best brand I've used is Clay Magic.

Peace,
Craig.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

hobby clay is vastly different from automotive detailing clay ..

Meg's
Mother's
Clay Magic

are the ones you will find in your local stores ..

Tropi-care has clay bars .. grab one from them, and go to town .. you can also pick up some detailing spray amd MF towels from the .. everything you need
Old 06-20-2007, 10:56 AM
Launching!

what can I use as a substitute for detailing spray? I go through crazy amounts of spray when claybarring..
Old 06-20-2007, 11:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just claybar the car while its still wet after you wash it down with a degreaser like dishwashing detergent. worked greeat for me and i wasted no detaling spray. be sure to do a small section at a time, and put running water over that section to make sure all the stuff you got off doesnt somehow get stuck back to the car.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Mix up some soapy solution (making sure its paint friendly of course) and put it in an old spray bottle. Quick and easy.

Another note for anyone doing this - Im sure some people just go out to the dollar store and buy a couple of unmarked bottles and use those. If you do - LABEL THEM! That way you know whats what and you arent mixing compounds/chemicals that could cause damage somewhere they dont belong. /rant
Old 06-20-2007, 12:46 PM
TECH Resident

werd up, thanks guys!
Old 06-20-2007, 03:36 PM

Meguiars or Mothers. Modeling clay will scratch your car, It's too abrasive.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:13 PM
Teching In

Ive detailed cars and have used clay bars before on cars before and on my own SS. All I can say is my paint is as smooth as a baby's A$$ from the combination of the clay bar and the wax afterward. But it can scratch your paint but its how hard you rub it into your paint. You just gotta do it hard enough to get he grime off
Old 06-20-2007, 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

A claybar is NOT just a bar of clay that you can buy at the arts and crafts store! Most modeling clay is just dug up out of the ground from a clay deposit, grit and all, because grit is not important for hobby uses. Automotive claybar has been refined to remove grit.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ling_650vette
Mix up some soapy solution (making sure its paint friendly of course) and put it in an old spray bottle. Quick and easy.

Another note for anyone doing this - Im sure some people just go out to the dollar store and buy a couple of unmarked bottles and use those. If you do - LABEL THEM! That way you know whats what and you arent mixing compounds/chemicals that could cause damage somewhere they dont belong. /rant

^^^ what he said...

If you are going to use soapy water as your clay lube, make sure you use a good car shampoo, not something like dawn .. Meg's gold class, mothers, tropicare, something good.

please don't clay with dawn .. hard on the paint .. hard on the lay bar.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Of the "Boxed" clay bar kits I recommend the Mothers. I used the Meguires before and the claybar provided with the kit fell apart. Plus the Mothers spray smells good like Big Red bubble gum.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

^^^^what he said!

my first claybar experience was with Mothers and it was so darn easy to use, had great results, and my garage smelled like Big Red for 2 days....
Old 06-21-2007, 10:06 AM
TECH Junkie

I'll put my .02 in on the Clay Magic kit.

They had the Mothers and Clay Magic @ Auto Zone when I got it. Didnt know squat about Clay Magic, and it was $5 cheaper. So after some research I found it was a good name and I rolled with it.

Worked amazingly! The results as most people know speak for themselves after you do a good polish/wax. Especially on the flat portions of the rear. I dunno WTF it is, but that place is a breeding ground for filth! I found myself for the next day or two just feeling the smoothness of the paint. I was amazed. Even detailing brand new cars, I had NEVER felt paint that smooth.

For the price difference, you wont regret it if you go w/ the Clay Magic vs Mothers. But next time, I'll probably just purchase a bigger clay from someone like Tropi-Care so I can have a dedicated tub instead of a plastic bag for storage lol.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Put on that lip yet??

Quick Reply: Claybarring - Will any claybar work?