Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Getting down to the wire, still trying to decide on stripes and colors...

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 05:33 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Getting down to the wire, still trying to decide on stripes and colors...

Thanks to everyone whose put up with me on these decision posts before... I am about to pull the trigger and really like a lot of these options.

I'm looking to hear your opinions because 90% of them are usually great observations that get me to see things in new lights BEFORE I make purchases as opposed to AFTERWARDS

SO, here's how my car sits now:

I'm getting the hood painted for my birthday. I will definetly be adding cowl stripes:

with these emblems (denote engine size like the first gens had, not horsepower... I will have about 400hp to the wheels WITHOUT the nitrous) I bought:

and I am thinking about adding the side "spears":

but with NO writing like this car:

The point is to imitate these cars:

SO, I'm debating what color to do the stripes (also picture them with matching spear stripes)...

Solid Black:

Black w/ Silver Outline:

Charcoal w/ Silver Outline:

Or maybe a charcoal with a dark outline like the Comp T/A's had:

or just a metallic charcoal like on this car:

Or say f@ck the spears and go Hockey Stripes:

QUICK SYNOPSIS OF THIS NOVEL I JUST TYPED:

I am DEFINETLY putting COWL SIDE STRIPES on my car... Trying to decide if I want to add SPEAR side stripes, or HOCKEY side stripes or NO side stripes...

If NO side stripes what color for the cowl?

If SPEAR side stripes what color for the cowl and spear?

If HOCKEY side stripes what color for the cowl and hockey sticks?

Color options are:

BLACK

CHARCOAL METALLIC

SILVER

BLACK w/SILVER OUTLINE

CHARCOAL METALLIC w/SILVER OUTLINE

SOME TYPE OF CHARCOAL WITH A DARKER AIRBRUSH OUTLINE LIKE THE COMP T/A

WHAT DO YOU THINK?

Thanks!
Old 06-25-2007, 11:58 AM
Shirley Temple Drinker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Match your zo6's, charcoal striping exactly like that black camaro up there, that things beautiful. your car will look like this one
http://g11.evyl.org/GMMG_Open_House/...l_Camaro_b.jpg
Old 06-25-2007, 12:01 PM
Restricted User

I like the last option (hockey stripes and cowl stripes) the best.

The Dick Harrell stripes look great too though.

My suggestion would be to find a silver that matches your wheels. That would give you the best look I think.

No outlines, that's too much.
Old 06-25-2007, 12:55 PM
On The Tree

No outlines, no hockey stripes.
I like:
Cowl stripes and side spears in a solid color. I'm leaning towards black, becuase I wouldn't want charcoal to appear too bright against the paint (they look great on the black car, but I think the black paint mutes the stripes).
Old 06-25-2007, 01:04 PM
Launching!

I have to ask where to get those 346 badges? I've got to have some.
Old 06-25-2007, 02:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dotstereo
No outlines, no hockey stripes.
I like:
Cowl stripes and side spears in a solid color. I'm leaning towards black, becuase I wouldn't want charcoal to appear too bright against the paint (they look great on the black car, but I think the black paint mutes the stripes).
I'm a little worried a lighter grey (to match the wheels) would contrast too much as well...
Old 06-25-2007, 02:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 01T/A88IROC-Z
I have to ask where to get those 346 badges? I've got to have some.
Ebay, pieced them together for under $7 total... Just search for "number embelm"...
Old 06-25-2007, 03:10 PM
TECH Addict

Id have to say black with spear with no outlines
Old 06-25-2007, 03:15 PM
TECH Resident

I'd have to say flat black spears also, I do think your car would look better with darker rims too.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:27 PM
TECH Addict

i think the DH spears work so well on the those cars because of the fender flares... the thick part of the stripe narrows down where the fenders tapers back in. Without the flares i think it just looks kinda goofy.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:11 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by unSStoppable
i think the DH spears work so well on the those cars because of the fender flares... the thick part of the stripe narrows down where the fenders tapers back in. Without the flares i think it just looks kinda goofy.
They can work on our cars without the flares. The key in my opinion is to ensure the rear of the stripe is up high on the rear fender. I have seen a couple that looked kinda off because the stripes sat too low on the rear fender. You pretty much are going to need to have the stripe up high enough that it covers the antenna hole or comes really close. The black car that is in the top post pulls it off well.

I wouldn't put it any lower than that though. I have dark charcoal DH stripes on the way.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:39 PM
Banned

no stripes on the sides
Old 06-25-2007, 04:41 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by unSStoppable
That's exactly what I was going to say. I think charcoal stripes would look good, but they'd have to match the wheels. If you think the wheels are too light, then go with black stripes. I wouldn't suggest having multiple shades of charcoal gray on your car...otherwise it will look like you just threw some decal stripes on there that were "pretty close". I say no to the DH stripes and hell no to the hockey stripes.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Demon, I'm gonna level with you 100%. I think the Sunoco stripes will look great, but the DH style stripes look like total ***, IMO. It really looks like the guy making those stripes didn't give one crap about accuracy. They don't look anything like the REAL Dick Harrell stripes. I really think they will lower the over all look of your car.

While I do agree that they look awesome on DH cars, I really think the versions shown on normal cars just look assy.

I really believe that Camaro's look 1 million times more classy and, for lack of better terms, smooth, without any graphics on the side. Even the hockey stripes just don't look rite on our cars. Just keep it clean and simple, cause ultimately thats what turns more heads, rather than a cluttered, stickered up car.

You have a nice looking car and I would hate to see it wrecked by decals that just fall short. Good luck with the choice.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Has anyone tried to emmulate these side stripes (minus text)???

Old 06-25-2007, 11:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by phantomzer0
Demon, I'm gonna level with you 100%. I think the Sunoco stripes will look great, but the DH style stripes look like total ***, IMO. It really looks like the guy making those stripes didn't give one crap about accuracy. They don't look anything like the REAL Dick Harrell stripes. I really think they will lower the over all look of your car.

While I do agree that they look awesome on DH cars, I really think the versions shown on normal cars just look assy.

I really believe that Camaro's look 1 million times more classy and, for lack of better terms, smooth, without any graphics on the side. Even the hockey stripes just don't look rite on our cars. Just keep it clean and simple, cause ultimately thats what turns more heads, rather than a cluttered, stickered up car.

You have a nice looking car and I would hate to see it wrecked by decals that just fall short. Good luck with the choice.
I agree, the stripes aren't ideal BUT I give the guy credit because no one else has stepped up to offer them

I still am considering side stripes though (the spears especially) because I feel the front might become too "heavy" (looking) if it has the Z28 emblems, cowl stripes and 346 emblems all stacked up there (too much going on in the first fender with nothing in the rear quarter...)...

It may be lame but I am also still considering putting "kill" stickers on the back part of the spear (decals identical to factory, Cobra, 5.0, EVO, etc... emblems with red X's through them after I have raced and defeated one of them) to look like the old WWII bomber planes

Originally Posted by thmass6
I think charcoal stripes would look good, but they'd have to match the wheels. If you think the wheels are too light, then go with black stripes. I wouldn't suggest having multiple shades of charcoal gray on your car...
This is a very good point. I think the charcoal metallic stripe, if it was alone (not outlined) would be the best color choice for NBM... BUT it would look like horrible contrast with my lighter rims

Originally Posted by Sgt. Spuds
Match your zo6's, charcoal striping exactly like that black camaro up there, that things beautiful. your car will look like this one
http://g11.evyl.org/GMMG_Open_House/...l_Camaro_b.jpg
This would be a good alternative option but I think would be too light of a stripe color for my personal taste. I agree with you that the Dick Harrell car you posted pulls it off AMAZINGLY! Although, I think because it is Electron Blue, a lighter blue than my Navy Blue Metallic, it wouldn't look that good on my car.

SO, I am coming to this conclusion:

For me personally the BEST LOOKING stripes would be Dick Harrell Cowl and Spear stripes in black outlined in chrome because I still have a boner for AnimalSS's car:

it also would carry my interior theme:

...to the exterior and just plain look KILLER! But they would not look right with my rims...

I feel my only true options are:

Satin Black Stripes (cowl with or without side spear) with the rims I have now (it would have a cool racing, old school Mopar/Ratrod look)...

Black Stripes w/Chrome outline and CHANGE MY RIMS to 18" Chrome Z06 rims with spokes painted Satin Black with Chrome lip...

Charcoal Stripes w/Chrome outline and CHANGE MY RIMS to 18" Chrome Z06 rims with spokes painted Charcoal with Chrome lip...

Not sure I want the added weight of chrome rims though (I bought these rims because they were the lightest "cool looking" rim I knew of...) so I'll probably end up with Satin Black Stripes... At least that's how I'm leaning now.

Any thoughts?
Old 06-26-2007, 12:58 AM
TECH Resident

Dude, leave it alone, match up the hood and thats it, dont get carried away. Its a sharp *** car as is. The stripes take away from the good lines of the car.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:07 AM
On The Tree

Satin black stripes from the above choices. As much as I like C5Z wheels, I think they look best as a solid color- so no on the chrome lip. If you painted the whole wheel a flat color, I could change my mind.

And yeah, AnimalSS' car is hot.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:26 AM
10 Second Club

i dunno i think a dark gunmetal like the color of my ss scoop would look awesome but with no spears if you were to pick one i'd say hockey sticks

but either way it you just paint the hood it would be just awesome as is
Old 06-26-2007, 05:25 AM
Banned

I've pretty much decided I am going to just do the black cowl stripes but with a metallic silver outline...

This should match the rims as they are now and keep it closer (comprimisingly obviously) to the original theme of the car, the ZL1 Prototype:

Basically my finished car will look like this (346 emblem and all ):

Thanks to EVERYONE for their input !!!

Quick Reply: Getting down to the wire, still trying to decide on stripes and colors...