Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Which sealant/wax are you using on your dark car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 01:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Which sealant/wax are you using on your dark car?

So over the past 2 days I've been attacking the car with the Porter Cable.

(Long read...)
I'm being SUPER **** with it and going very very slow, I'm just finishing up with Menzerna Intensive Polish w/ an Orange pad and will use Menzerna Final Polish and a White pad next.
The paint on the car was actually in pretty good shape, but it still had swirls that would drive me NUTS when it was under parking lot lights at night, etc.

I have pretty much the entire Zaino line-up but honestly am still 50/50 with Zaino. Zaino just seems like it's too 'thin' and doesn't look like it's offering much protection. I've always read here and there on the boards of people saying that Zaino makes the car look like it's "wraped in saran wrap", I never really could understand that until lately and do realize what they mean, it's almost TOO crisp looking. That may be best for a lighter car, but on a black car like mine I think I need something 'deeper' looking.

I still have about a 1/2 bottle of Z2 & Z5 left but was thinking of switching to something else, especially now since I'm starting fresh. With all the different Zaino options it's sort of a pain in the ***, Z2, Z5 and the newer Z-CS & Z-AIO, I kind of want a single product that I can put on and take right off that will give me a good deep shine and protect the cars finish. The car is garaged so durability is not a HUGE concern as I pretty much polish/wax it everytime I wash...wish is basically after every other time I drive it, which is about once a week. I don't think I want anything with an abrasive in it as I'm starting off with a fresh finish and feel that using an abrasive polish can/will just create more swirls and marks after a while. Someting that I could just drive 5 minutes to Pepboys/etc. would be nice also, but that's not a big concern.

So, with all of that being said...
What do all you **** guys recommend?
Anyone use the Tropi-care stuff?
After you park the car at the end of the day and it's dusty how do you take care of it? Detail spray and microfiber, car duster, etc.?
Old 06-29-2007, 01:49 PM
TECH Addict

My personal preference on black is Zaino Z5 Pro and Z8 if I want to go the sealant route or Clearkote RMG and Pinnacle Souveran if i want to go the carnauba route. There are tons and tons of great options out there though.

If you want something locally, pick up S100 or Meguiar's #26 (paste).

With black, I never dust...just wash.
Old 06-29-2007, 02:22 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I enjoy my zaino...
Old 06-29-2007, 02:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tropi-Care user here. I actually just did a fresh detail on the car and will post results. BTW, my car is black.

-brian
Old 06-29-2007, 04:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ZaneO
...Zaino Z5 Pro and Z8 if I want to go the sealant route or Clearkote RMG and Pinnacle Souveran if i want to go the carnauba route
Can you elaborate, why one route over the other? (sealant vs. carnauba)
So once I'm done with the PC/Menzerna process, just Z5 & Z8? No Z2?

How would the S100 or Meguiar's #26 compare?
Old 06-29-2007, 05:28 PM
TECH Resident

If I don't use Zaino I like to use Natty's Blue as my LSP. It makes the car look very wet and adds more depth for an affordable price. I want to try Pinnacle Souveran and Blackfire carnauba but that ***** expensive. I'm having a hard time convincing myself if I want it *that* bad.

I don't really dust my car unless its very minor. I'll just use a microfiber towel and some QD spray. 90% of the time I usually just wash the car.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by cobrakillerta
Can you elaborate, why one route over the other? (sealant vs. carnauba)
So once I'm done with the PC/Menzerna process, just Z5 & Z8? No Z2?

How would the S100 or Meguiar's #26 compare?
If I want more durability, I'll use a sealant (Zaino in this case). If durability isn't a concern, I'll go with a carnauba like Souveran.

I typically don't use Z2 Pro on dark colors.

S100 gives a nice, smooth carnauba look and is slightly "brighter" than Souveran. Meguiar's #26 (paste) really deepens dark colors. Both are very affordable and found locally.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I used Tropicare Swirl Remover TC8 followed by Polish Sealant TC3 both with Porter Cable buffer. Topped with Mothers Carnuba paste by hand. Just washed it tonight after a month or better and it still looks great. Tomorrow I might add another coat of the TC3 with the buffer and put another coat of the Carnuba on by hand.