Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

tar on fenders

Old 07-11-2007, 01:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default tar on fenders

Whats the best way to get rid of tar build up on my rear and front fenders?? ive heard everything from Goof off, Simple Green, Gasoline, thinner

im just trying to find the best stuff to use any suggestions are appreciated
Old 07-11-2007, 01:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This stuff works pretty good..
Old 07-11-2007, 01:34 PM
On The Tree

awesome! i got a bunch on my passenger side from going thru a construction area in 100degree heat, i was pissed, plus im getting ready to go on a 900 mi trip so tht looks like will help me detail it when i get dwn to the beach
Old 07-11-2007, 01:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

When I worked at the body shop, we used some stuff called 3939 that I got from O'Reilys... worked GREAT. But, Maguiers has some awesome products, so that may be your best bet.

I say NO to thinner & simple green. Too harsh on your paint... not worth it.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I use WD40. I spray my rag and wipe it done only on the tar though of course. Then I wash the WD40 off with soap and water.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:58 PM
On The Tree

thanks for all the input guys im gona chk them out tonight after wrk
Old 07-11-2007, 03:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Medic/Z28
I use WD40. I spray my rag and wipe it done only on the tar though of course. Then I wash the WD40 off with soap and water.

Thats the best way. I used it on a white chevy truck my friend has. Came right off.
Old 07-11-2007, 03:42 PM
On The Tree

claybar
Old 07-11-2007, 10:15 PM
TECH Addict

try recycled paint thinner thats how i do it at work all the time. then just wax what you took thinner to. or you could try this stuff that we use at my body shop called 3812.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:30 PM
12 Second Club

dont start using all this chemical **** just wash it with regular car soap and leave the soap on it and clay bar it comes out great dont forget to throw a coat of wax on it after.
Old 07-13-2007, 01:24 PM
On The Tree

i ended up using a cheap can from autozone was a tar and bug remover was like 3 bucks, took me about a hour to go over the rear quarters, center rocker panel, and the front quarter panel, but they look good now! thanks guys
Old 07-13-2007, 02:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Meguiar's body olvent is what I use ..

clay bar will also work, but I go through enough of them anyway, so I prefer not to trash them.

I would be very careful using things like paint thinner, WD40, etc .. I would use somethign like that as a last resort.
Old 07-14-2007, 11:04 AM
TECH Regular

OK... so im a car fanatic when it comes to cleaning... ive tried every bug n tar remover there is.... some better than others... theres a guy where i work whos been detailing cars and does it for a living... hes been doing it for years and has **** that no one else has... i asked him and he said the strongest stuff you can use to get that bad tar is laquer thinner or paint thinner... i was gonna try it the other day n thought maybe i will delude it a little but... the paint thinners heavier than water sooo.... it doesnt mix.... so just be sparingly with itt n dont go crazy
Old 07-14-2007, 01:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chevrolet02z28
OK... so im a car fanatic when it comes to cleaning... ive tried every bug n tar remover there is.... some better than others... theres a guy where i work whos been detailing cars and does it for a living... hes been doing it for years and has **** that no one else has... i asked him and he said the strongest stuff you can use to get that bad tar is laquer thinner or paint thinner... i was gonna try it the other day n thought maybe i will delude it a little but... the paint thinners heavier than water sooo.... it doesnt mix.... so just be sparingly with itt n dont go crazy
I have yet to find road tar that Meg's body solvent won't remove .. ometimes it take s little time, but it will do the job .. same can be said for Stoner's and a couple of others..

just because paint thinner works, doesn't mean it is the best answer.

just because it works in the hands of a pro that 1) knows exactly how to use it and 2) can fix pretty much anything he screws up doesn't mean it is the best solution for the average guy .. invest little time and elbow grease, and use a paint safe chemical.
Old 07-14-2007, 04:04 PM
TECH Regular

claybar takes it right off.
Old 07-14-2007, 04:08 PM
TECH Regular

i love the guys that come on here and rag on every ones replies... the guy asked a simple question and i threw my opion out there... now u got your methods.... and i have mine... so dont come one here and rag on the **** i put... if u noticed i threw out several options to try and thats my opinion... if u dont like it... good for you... suggest what you got... if u notice i said use it sparingly.... too.... and if u know what your doing... you know not to dump a gallon of it on the spot... and as stated thats a strong chemical which the guy uses on the tough ****... SOO IF IT JUST so happens yer POS idea doesnt work... theres a back up plan for him...

i find it much easier to dab a little paint thinner on a rag... and wipe in a sec its gone... and spray the area down with water... u just havnt come across the bugs n **** i got here... u will be elbow greasing all day... so dont come one here thinking u got the most amazing thing... i detail **** on the side almost every week end... so i got stuff u probably never heard of...

THANKS
Old 07-14-2007, 04:09 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 911ss
claybar takes it right off.

not always...
Old 07-14-2007, 04:10 PM
TECH Addict

a wire scrub brush works great!!

seriously though i would try the clay bar or the meguires bug/tar... both work great in my experience. ill be making a 2000+ MI trip so i will be sure to carry my whole assembly line of products with me lol
Old 07-14-2007, 05:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

i love the guys that come on here and rag on every ones replies... the guy asked a simple question and i threw my opion out there... now u got your methods.... and i have mine... so dont come one here and rag on the **** i put... if u noticed i threw out several options to try and thats my opinion... if u dont like it... good for you... suggest what you got... if u notice i said use it sparingly.... too.... and if u know what your doing... you know not to dump a gallon of it on the spot... and as stated thats a strong chemical which the guy uses on the tough ****... SOO IF IT JUST so happens yer POS idea doesnt work... theres a back up plan for him...

i find it much easier to dab a little paint thinner on a rag... and wipe in a sec its gone... and spray the area down with water... u just havnt come across the bugs n **** i got here... u will be elbow greasing all day... so dont come one here thinking u got the most amazing thing... i detail **** on the side almost every week end... so i got stuff u probably never heard of...

THANKS

I wasn't ragging on you .. I was simply stating there are better solutions than the ones you threw out .. If I was ragging on you, I would have made a comment along the lines of "don't be a lazy idiot by taking a short cut and using something that can cause permanent damage to the finish".

I didn't say that, did I? I was also throwing out options. Like I posted earlier .. there is a fine line when offering advice over an open forum .. since no one here posts their resume when asking a question, it is always better to err on the side of caution when offering advice to soomeone whose skill level and experience are a complte unknown, in my opinion.

And for the part with you talking crap about what I know and what I have seen, because you
.. I detail **** on the side almost every week end...

Tell you what ..when you have 30 years experince and 10,000 vehicles under your belt, then maybe I will give a crap about your opinion of my knowledge and skills. Until then, you aren't even remotely qualified to tell me what I do and do not know. The fact that you are arguing with me about whether or not it is smart to tell someone you don't know to use paint thinner on their vehicle's finish proves my point. I never said it wouldn't work .. what I will say is it is the lazy way out, and not something an inexperienced person should try. There might be times when it is called for, but it should never, ever be the first choice.

Always use the least agressive method possible to correct any defect or issue.

ever heard that before? do you practice it? you obviously don't preach it.

I wasn't attacking you. I was offering advice, and responding to something that you had written that I didn't agree with. Something that should never be the first thing tried to correct that problem.

wasn't meant personal .. sorry if you took it that way.

if you have an issue with me, bring it to PM's, and I will be happy to continue this discussion.
Old 07-14-2007, 05:53 PM
TECH Regular

understandable and thats why i stated a bunch of other products... if theres one thing ive noticed is everyone has got there opinion... i just dont appreciate trying to help someone... and then someone basicly turning around and going hey thats &^*#^* stupid do this.. but im not hear to argue... my point is... you got yer ways... i got mine... just as for the next guy... and if theres one thing i learned... experience isnt everything... so dont be cocky... because u dont know me... and have no right to judge me... ive seen **** done by some guys that just looks like ***... and they call themselves pros... w.e im done here... im not here to argue with someone over the damn internet... let alone forums... thats rather childish

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: tar on fenders