Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

How often to claybar?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 04:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How often to claybar?

Hey i did a search but mine doesn't ever work any more so i figured i'll just ask. how often do you guys ClayBar you're cars? i did mine for the first time ever last week and i want to hit it up again befor i take my 2000 mile trip to NC... it's not first time using bar period but first with my car. it's a DD also. how often do you guys do it?
Old 07-14-2007, 04:31 PM
TECH Regular

i usually go by feel.... i wax my car quit often... every few weeks if not less.... some spots i noticed get more debris in the paint... on my camaro i noticed the nose/hood area and the bumper... i usually wash it... and dry it completely... and before im gonna wax it ill jsut run my hand over some spots on the paint... if it feels like theres some light debris that u can buff off... ide buff it... but if theres alot more... then i would normally clay bar it... i try to clay bar it though every 3 coats of carnuba... because then i strip it and polish completely so why not clay bar to make sure all the conaminants are gone...
Old 07-14-2007, 04:34 PM
TECH Addict

yeah, well i did it saturday so i imagine this thursday is to soon probably.
Old 07-14-2007, 04:38 PM
TECH Regular

yeah u shouldnt have to clay bar it that often... if ne thing i would maybe throw a little extra wax over the nose and behind tires and spot that you know debris will hit... if not give the whole car a quick wax before you leave....
Old 07-14-2007, 04:40 PM
TECH Regular

i'll only wax/polish/zaino after i clay bar. but i only do that every few months or so (3-4 times a year). but i wash the car at least every 1-2 weeks depending on the weather. maintenance is the big thing. don't let stuff sit on there too long.
Old 07-14-2007, 05:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

as needed, depending on several things, including environment, parking situation, level of pollution, etc.

Take a sandwich baggie, put your hand in it, and move it across your freshly washed paint.. if you can feel any surface debris onthe paint, then it is time to clay..

for most people, under average conditions, 2 - 4 times a year will be sufficient.
Old 07-14-2007, 06:24 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Gipraw
Take a sandwich baggie
Why a sandwich bag?
Old 07-14-2007, 06:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chevrolet02z28
Why a sandwich bag?

because the plastic will allow you to feel the small contaminents on the paint better than your can feel with your bare hand.. it will feel like you are running your hand over sandpaper. .. Saran wrap will also work, but a baggie is easier.
Old 07-14-2007, 06:55 PM
TECH Addict

oh i plan on giving her the wax of her life when i ride up there, i always wash wax every week or two.. and especially when i plan on driving alot.