Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Roof bubbles getting worse??

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 04:42 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Roof bubbles getting worse??

I bought my car last november, so this is my first summer with the car. I have noticed the dreaded roof bubble problem for a while now, ever since it started getting warm out. I work at an office with no parking garage, and only a few trees for shade, so i always try to get a tree thats far away from everyone, and nice and shady. I get some small wavy bubbles every day, but when i come home and park the car they always go away for the most part. Well, yesterday someone stole that tree spot, so I had no choice but to park in the sun. I threw a couple of bath towels in my car just in case, so i put them over the entire roof hoop and went on in. At the end of the day i came out and checked out the car after it baked in the sun all day. There were a few sharp looking bubbles on the roof, where there had only been small wavy bubbles before. Will these go away with time. The rest of bubbles (the small wavy ones) always go away, but even today after parking in the shade again the sharper looking more pronounced bubbles are still there.

I've just started my fight with chevy to try to get this problem fixed. It bugs the hell out of me, so i hope i can find a dealer that will do it.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

There is a bunch of info on this topic in the paint&body section.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:52 PM
TECH Regular

clearly, but i was looking for an answer on the specific situation i'm having. I dont know whether the "sharper" bubbles will go away with time like my other ones do. Ive read through 20 (ish) other threads, with no info on this. Thanks for the help though.

by the way, whats this chevy "good will program" youre talking about in this threa? https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...&page=30&pp=20
Ive never heard about it and i googled it but couldnt find any info.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:55 PM
TECH Regular

is there a way to replace that whiole top piece?
Old 07-19-2007, 04:58 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by chevrolet02z28
is there a way to replace that whiole top piece?
yep, they literally have to rip off the entire top panel which is glued on (the whole reason for the problem... the glue)

theres a picture of it somewhere here: http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/Albu...&a=30942215&f=

you can find the tsb here https://ls1tech.com/forums/paint-body-work/308546-bubbling-sail-panel-issue-dummies.html
Old 07-19-2007, 05:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the tsb is useless for arguement. its only purpose is to show the dealer how to fix the problem.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:07 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Ntimid8r7
the tsb is useless for arguement. its only purpose is to show the dealer how to fix the problem.
sure is, but i still suggest bringing a copy, since the dealer instantly realizes you know what you're talking about...

does anyone have any idea about my original question by the way?
Old 07-19-2007, 05:36 PM
TECH Regular

ya but where do you get the new pice? like wtf is it called? do u have to go to a dealer and how much

Originally Posted by Loochy88
yep, they literally have to rip off the entire top panel which is glued on (the whole reason for the problem... the glue)

theres a picture of it somewhere here: http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/Albu...&a=30942215&f=

you can find the tsb here https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=308546
Old 07-19-2007, 06:46 PM
TECH Addict

I feel your pain,,,i even gooo from the sharper ones now,,,even in the garage if really hot outside. My only suggestion is to keep doing what your doing with finding the shade and all,,,and try not to get upset as you read the now close to 600 posts in the sail panel thread that 2001 som ws.6 was refering to. I can't even see the thread on the home page without getting a lil upset. It's quite a hard pill to swallow,,,i have made only one call to the Scott Summers guy,,, my 2000 NBM TAWS6 is only wearing 37000 miles,,,and has been treated like a queen,,,i just need to get off my *** and start makeing the phone calls more dilagently goodluck!
Old 07-19-2007, 06:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

it is a sail panel and you can only get it from the dealer, around $400 I believe unless you can find one on ebay. and to the OP, those bubbles will eventually burst and run glue all over the top. just like when a blister pops. mine is riddled with them and these bastards told me since I was not the original owner they were going to do anything for me because "they dont know how the car was taken care of before me" which is total bullshit and they know the problem they just dont want to fit the $1300 bill for thier **** up.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

None of the ripples,bubbles will never go away. This has happend to me twice the first time was easy because i bought the car new and now with the t/a i had a hell of a time to get it done but with taking to a rep with GM he made it happen and got it done under there good will program that in other words means getting it fixed for free out of any warranty. The TSB is worthless but you can bring it.

Parking it in the shade might help and strees might because onces its in the sun or gets hot out or over time the bubbles will just burst. I was even at a paint shop talking to a guy with a black SS and had these bubbles in the roof but had it painted and they came back he said. I told him no matter how many times you paint it the glue under there is going to react with the sun and bubble up again and it needs to be replaced. I dont think he listened.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Calling and complaining to GM about this issue is a big waste of your time. They have no idea what a TSB is and the person on the other end of the phone is usually a complete dumbass that knows nothing about cars. This paint issue is the only complaint I've really had with my car but GM refuses to take any part in fixing it. I called while the car was still under warranty but it was no use. I've taken my car to numerous dealers and they all tell me to go a dealer with a body shop(which I have gone to/called several) and those dealers say, sorry we can't help you. My car has 37,XXX miles on it and is a 1999 model. It spends 99% of the time in a fully enclosed garage under a car cover. You are right about heat though. If the car spends any time out in the heat, it amplifies the problem exponentially and the bubbles will eventually burst and ooze out the vapor/glue from their mistake. If my car sits out long enough, it looks like I have a question mark in the center of the roof and a big line that runs across the sail panel. I have had 2 bubbles pop on my car and the stuff makes a mess when it comes out. The only way to properly fix it is to take the car to a body shop, have them rip off the entire top and replace it with a new place. Until I can afford to fix GM's mistake, I try to keep the car out of the heat as much as possible. Sorry for my ranting but I'm pissed that GM won't fix a problem that so many dedicated F-Body owners have.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

i saw a car cover on ebay a little while ago that only covers the top of the car. you might look into one of those to put on your car why your at work.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:28 PM
TECH Regular

that isn't a bad idea, but i'm thinking i may as well just put that money into getting it fixed right...
Old 07-20-2007, 12:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Loochy88
that isn't a bad idea, but i'm thinking i may as well just put that money into getting it fixed right...
im right there with you on that problem, though im saving to get mine fixed someday soon hopefully .......
Old 08-13-2007, 12:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What does it look like when the place burst? I noticed a streak like coke was splashed on my top in a line going back like I was driving and it went backwards. No one will fix mine either and I can't afford to fix it. Will the stuff wash off the paint? I was going to try tonight.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chevygirl
What does it look like when the place burst? I noticed a streak like coke was splashed on my top in a line going back like I was driving and it went backwards. No one will fix mine either and I can't afford to fix it. Will the stuff wash off the paint? I was going to try tonight.
that is exactly what it looks like. it will wash off but as soon as it sits in the sun it will run some more. you can also get some quick detail and spray/wipe it off without having to wash the whole car unless you just want to.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks! Is is 106 here and I am in the shade but it must have happened on the way in to work. It sits in a garage when I am not at work.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:07 PM
TECH Addict

GM will replace the whole panel just call them and argue with them they'll do it for free at least they didnt make me pay a thing
Old 08-13-2007, 01:51 PM
Staging Lane

I have had this problem for 3 years now!

I first started noticing those tiny bubbles and thought to myself that maybe it was an error in the painting process....but later I discovered what all of you have discovered....that GM uses cheap and inexpensive processes to manufacter cars.

Im not hating on GM or anything....after all, I own a 00' WS.6....all im saying is that GM is well known for not splurging and going all the way for their customers by using the best materials! How many of you out there have an interior that squeaks and cracks and makes all sorts of weird noises?....well, thats GM for you.....but hey....there is a price to pay for power and good looks....and that price is bubbling sail panels and sqeaking interiors.

I have now just got to the point where im ignoring the problem. No one will fix it for me...and im sure as hell not paying to fix GM's mistake. Instead of gluing it, they should have used some sort of bolting method for fastening the sail panel...

Quick Reply: Roof bubbles getting worse??