Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Clearcoating headlights??

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 08:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clearcoating headlights??

As some of you know, I just recently did the whistler mod, and sanded my headlights to get them looking newer again. However, I still need to apply polish to them when I wash my car just to keep them looking perfectly clear, otherwise they still look better than they were, but not perfect.

Anyways, I thought about clearcoating them, just to give them a solid layer of protection. Would this work? I'm not sure...

When you polish them, they look really good, but I dont think that it would be good to shoot clear over the coats of polish, so I would have to clean them first, and then I'm afraid that it would seal in the imperfections.

Am I mistaken? Would shooting clear over them fill in the imperfections and make them look good again? Similar to when you get them wet and they look perfect?
Old 07-24-2007, 05:21 PM
TECH Regular

sound like a good idea.... let me know how it works
Old 07-25-2007, 01:24 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by chevrolet02z28
sound like a good idea.... let me know how it works
Do you think i should clearcoat OVER the polish to "seal" in the clearest I can get the lights, or should I clearcoat over just the plastic (clean the polish off), and trust that the clearcoat will fill in imperfections and make it smooth?
Old 07-25-2007, 02:07 AM
Staging Lane

Just polish them and then leave them. If you polish them well, then they should look pretty good. As long as we're talking about the outside of the housing here, you can just re-polish them whenever they start to lose their finish. I do that with my tail light lenses. I smear some 3M rubbing compound on there, let it partially dry, massage them with latex gloves, and then dust/wash off any remaining compound and they look great. There are a million different plastic polishes too.

If you clearcoat them, once the clearcoat starts to become weathered and scratched or flakes it is going to look like ****. Not sure what kind of imperfections you're talking about, but if they're large enough to see, then the clearcoat isn't going to magically level them out and make them go away.
Old 07-25-2007, 04:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by John Ceta
Just polish them and then leave them. If you polish them well, then they should look pretty good. As long as we're talking about the outside of the housing here, you can just re-polish them whenever they start to lose their finish. I do that with my tail light lenses. I smear some 3M rubbing compound on there, let it partially dry, massage them with latex gloves, and then dust/wash off any remaining compound and they look great. There are a million different plastic polishes too.

If you clearcoat them, once the clearcoat starts to become weathered and scratched or flakes it is going to look like ****. Not sure what kind of imperfections you're talking about, but if they're large enough to see, then the clearcoat isn't going to magically level them out and make them go away.
I just mean the haze thats slightly left over even after i sanded them.. Mine were really badly weathered and yellowed so i started with 600, then 800, 1500 and finally 2000 grit sandpaper. Even after going at it with the 2000 grit, theres still a slight haze on them that comes off easily when polished. I was just hoping that by clearcoating them, I wouldn't have to polish them all the time, and the clearcoat might protect them.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:26 PM
TECH Resident

Yes clearing headlights works. We just cleared a set for a cavalier at the shop and they look brand new. Wet sanded with 400 and cleared.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you clear your headlights, post pics! I want to see this.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would not clear them, it will look like hell over time.

Wet sand them , Polish them then hit them with a buffer on med speed, they will look brand new.

Quick Reply: Clearcoating headlights??