Sponsored by: DashLynx

Finalizing the GTO :: A Few Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 10:45 PM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Finalizing the GTO :: A Few Ideas

The GTO as is:

The wheels are being refinished with the centers painted a shade of silver and I'm thinking of possibly doing a two-tone paint job similar to the one below as well as adding a ducktail spoiler or JHP lip spoiler pictured below as well to round out the whole thing.

Part of me says to KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid), just do the wheels and maybe the spoiler, and leave it alone. Another part of me says that this stuff would make my GTO even more truly one of a kind and more "show car quality" to stand out from the bunch and add a little more flare the GTO's subdued styling.

Silver painted wheel centers with polished lips:

Two-tone paint job idea with silver and I'd keep my Spice Red instead of the blue:

Ducktail spoiler (thinking it'll be too big but if it isn't I think it might compliment my front splitter very nicely):

JHP lip spoiler (thinking it'll be too small):

Also considering VX taillights (like the orange GTO with the lip spoiler above and the Spice Red GTO below), side repeaters to replace the GTO badges, and having my kidney grilles trimmed in silver/chrome on the outside edges to give it more of a BMWish/european sports car edge but not really sure the CCWs go with that kind of theme so right now I'm not exactly liking the idea for my particular car...

VX tails

Side repeaters instead of the GTO fender emblems

Chrome trimmed grilles

I'm personally leaning towards just adding the ducktail spoiler to compliment the front splitter, having the wheels painted to make them easier to maintain, and letting that be that. These other things are just ideas that have been bouncing around inside my head.

Last edited by josh99ta; 07-24-2007 at 11:01 PM.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:48 PM
TECH Resident

i'd have to see the two tone idea, but i like the spoiler on that blue gto above and i think it would look awesome on your car
Old 07-24-2007, 10:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

go with the smaller spoiler or nothing at all for the more euro look
Old 07-24-2007, 11:02 PM
Teching In

Thumbs up

IMO, I think your paint should be left alone. It looks great as is. Yours is one of the cleanest Goats around. The spoiler choice is wide open for you. The DMS duckbill isn't too big IMO. I wanted one when AP made them but they never called me back. The JHP spoiler looks great also. The RK Sport or the HSV wing would look great too. And then there is the spoiler delete mod which looks fanatastic as well. OR, you keep your stock one on. No matter what you do, your ride looks great.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

get the little duck tail spoiler and then leave it be, dont paint the wheels, the car looks amazing as is otherwise.....and PLEASE DO NOT RUIN THAT BEAUTIFUL CAR WITH AN UGLY *** TWO-TONE PAINT JOB
Old 07-25-2007, 12:42 AM
TECH Addict

Personally here's what I would do.
I'd get the newer front bumper, nightshade the taillights, and put the duck tail spoiler on. After that I'd say you're done.
Just my .02 but after looking at your different cars I know whatever you do will look great.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:48 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go for the smaller spoiler
Old 07-25-2007, 01:00 AM
TECH Junkie

JHP lip spoiler looks best IMHO

VX tails = .... their ok, cleaner looking i guess (IMO)

Side repeaters are okay, they don't look that bad ....

Chrome trimmed grilles , eh once again they don't look bad, whatever you wanna do.

Two-tone Paintjob = NO! Please Don't .... Nooooo
Old 07-25-2007, 01:02 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by josh99ta

I'm personally leaning towards just adding the ducktail spoiler to compliment the front splitter, having the wheels painted to make them easier to maintain, and letting that be that. These other things are just ideas that have been bouncing around inside my head.
Go with your instincts... That paint job is NOT cool IMO. Looks like someone couldn't make up their mind on what color they wanted... Two tone is cool IF the car has lines that lend to it, the GTO does not.

I like the bigger spoiler...

I wouldn't paint the rims personally but if you do decide to do them I would go with a CHARCOAL METALLIC (leaving the lip polished) which I feel would compliment the Spice Red better. The silver just makes the rims look like cheap Pep Boys rims...

I would also CONSIDER the chrome trim on the grilles...

For the love of God PLEASE do not put those hideous repeaters on in place of the nice emblems.

I never understood the trend of putting stuff on cars just because they had it overseas and not here (Euro tail lights on Camaros for example...). I'm all for finding cool parts that ENHANCE the look of the car but some things LESSEN the look of the car and people can't see past the fact that it's "different" and see that they are making their car less appealing...

You definetly have one of the best looking Goats out there, don't f@wk it up and make it too "busy" looking
Old 07-25-2007, 07:35 AM

Ideally I'd like get the HSV spoiler but by the time prep and paint comes around I'm not paying $2,000 for a spoiler.

Right now I think while the GTO is more of a comparison to a BMW than anything else American it is American in size and going with the euro sports car look it trying to shrink a car that just cant be shrunk. Its too big for the look. Thats why I like the ducktail spoiler a little more and especially with my front splitter I think it would look compliment it pretty well.

The side repeaters I just threw up here at the last minute. Never really thought they'd work with my car but wanted some outside opinions as they do lend more towards the BMWish look, but I actually like the factory badging.

Chrome trimming the grilles would look good but I dont know that it would work with my theme. Nothing else is chrome trimmed and while it would make the car look classier it would take away some of the edge the car has IMO.

And if you guys are looking at those $5,000 HREs on that BMW and think they look like Pep Boys specials because of the silver center you're crazy! I've seen those pictured and another set on another black M in person and they look amazing. The silver would also tie in with the GTO badge on the front grille, the side badges, and the outlines of all the arrowheads on the car. Charcoal metallic was an option but it wont really tie in with anything on the car so I've pretty much scrapped it.

Lastly, I didn't include it, but I've thought of adding in "GTO" lower rear bumper fill ins in stainless lettering. It kind of ties the tips and wheels into the rest of the car. The jury is still out as I like to keep it clean and simple but I think this might be a small enhancement that would help as the rest of my trunklid is shaved anyway.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:35 AM
12 Second Club

i like the lip spoiler better than the duckbill...... somthing about that duckbill screams gtp spoiler at me.

the side markers replacing the emblems and the chrome grill trim look good.......the vx taillights look good

i would leave it the solid red that it is, cant go wrong there
Old 07-25-2007, 01:38 PM
TECH Resident

leave it alone
Old 07-25-2007, 01:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

That ducktail spoiler is badass!

It would look great on your car.
Old 07-25-2007, 04:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Get the ducktail spoiler because that is the baddest looking spoiler i have ever seen and keep the one tone paint. It looks badass with just the spoiler
Old 07-25-2007, 08:22 PM
TECH Addict

ur splitter isnt huge which is why i wouldnt go with the ducktail, i do like the lip spoiler tho. I Like your idea with the wheels but i'd leave the paint on your car alone. As far as your tail lights go, the ones you picked out dont wow the hell outa me but it would be a subtle clean change. As for the grills look at the 11th pic down, i think the recessed kidney grills give it a much more aggressive look and thats the route i'd go. As far as badging... i think stock looks just fine to be honest i wouldnt change it. For the rear end of the car i think if you wanted to put inserts in it that you should paint the lower valance gloss black. That way itd match the blacked out signals n stuff plus i dont think chrome lettering would look good on the flat black plastic. Obviously this is totally my opinion and everyones is different but you asked for it and hopefully itll help u out. As always the goat is lookin good.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:18 PM

The rear lower panel is already satin black so the polished GTO lettering would work. I hate the SAP grilles though, looks way too late 90s Grand Prix and Grand Am-ish to me. The tails I like but I doubt I'll make that change. While I'm consider the euro sports car theme the GTO is a bigger car and with the CCWs I dont think it fits. The car is big, the wheels are big. The lip spoiler is too small IMO but the duckbill is a touch big but still the better out of the two IMO. The other option is the RKSport spoiler like on the grey GTO with the CCWs on it above. Its a three piece that is a HSV replica piece and looks pretty nice... although ideally I'd just like to get the HSV but cant bring myself to spend that kind of money on a spoiler...

It's a $1,200 spoiler though... not including prep and paint. It looks so incredible though that I might just talk myself into getting it if I can nickel and dime enough to save up for it. After all, I'm the retard that spent $3,500+ on wheels and tires for CCWs for a daily driver. But the DMS ducktail spoiler is about $400 + prep and paint so I'd be getting out FAR cheaper that route... and the RKSport replica HSV spoiler is around $500 + prep and paint.

RK Sport on the exact same car, kind of a HSV/ducktail combo as it looks like the HSV but flips up like the ducktail spoiler where the HSV spoiler is nearly flat. The price difference kills me but the HSV spoiler really does look leaps and bounds better than anything else out there IMO. I guess its one of those things, spend $500 for an aftermarket replica WS6 hood for your Trans Am or get an OEM one that fits alot better for $1,000+.

Last edited by josh99ta; 07-25-2007 at 10:25 PM.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:06 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

I like the car as-is. The only thing I'd change is the GTO nose for a Monaro nose and call it a day. This GTO gets 10x more attention now since it looks unique, everyone is always asking what kind of car it is. When it still looked like a Pontiac, it was basically off of everyone's radar even though it was glowing orange.

I'm actually one of the people that doesn't mind the factory spoiler. Think about it, if these cars had come with another spoiler, people would be adding the stock looking one instead. Different isn't always better in some cases.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:38 PM

I do agree with you on that Tony. I have to disagree on the Monaro nose though. With my lower grille insert and splitter I think the Monaro nose would be a step back on the Spice Red. Plus I kind of have the split theme going on, the dual kidney grilles, dual hood scoops, split spoke wheels, split dual exhaust. I've seen two Spice Red Monaro conversions and one Pulse Red and none of them looked good at all IMO. Seems like Spice is the only color I dont like the Monaro conversion on.

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthr...ice+Red+Monaro

If I had different wheels I think I could pull it off but with the 505As I just dont see it working.

Plus I like my HID fog lights.

I have kicked around the idea of doing the Monaro conversion though and trying to make it work on Spice, but I think what I'd do if I did that would be to sell the 505As, my splitter and fog HIDs, get the Monaro conversion and have them fill in the plate part just like on yours, shave the spoiler and get VX tails, and get some Ruff Racing 281s in a staggered 19" combo in silver or charcoal with a chrome lip to set the conversion off. I just like the multi spoke wheels on the Monaro conversions for some reason and something like the HP Evo/Ruff 281s looks perfect IMO.

Again, all these are just ideas I'm throwing around. The only thing I really want to do right now is to take care of the sides of the spokes and barrels of the CCWs so they're easier to clean and then work on making the car a little faster. This stuff will fall into place as it comes along.

Last edited by josh99ta; 07-25-2007 at 11:45 PM.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
I like the car as-is. The only thing I'd change is the GTO nose for a Monaro nose and call it a day. This GTO gets 10x more attention now since it looks unique, everyone is always asking what kind of car it is. When it still looked like a Pontiac, it was basically off of everyone's radar even though it was glowing orange.

I'm actually one of the people that doesn't mind the factory spoiler. Think about it, if these cars had come with another spoiler, people would be adding the stock looking one instead. Different isn't always better in some cases.
Post some pics! I was just looking for some pics of the GTO with the Monaro front bumper...Isn't there different styles of the Monaro tho?
Old 07-25-2007, 11:46 PM

Check the link to my post above to see a GTO in the exact same color as mine except with the Monaro conversion. That'll give you an idea of what it would look like.

Quick Reply: Finalizing the GTO :: A Few Ideas