Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Replacing headliner....

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Replacing headliner....

I am contemplating doing this myself. When I have the t-tops out you can see its pretty faded and now it's actually started to wear away and you can see the foam showing through. I get the yuckies feeling when I see foam/stuffing along with torn upholstery in things....seats ect I cant even sit on a seat in a restaurant if the seat is torn.

Anyway the visors are looking the same way so I want to replace it all. I found a few places to get the graphite cloth online for a fairly reasonable price.

Has anyone else attempted this theirselves??

TIA

-Michelle
Old 07-27-2007, 01:07 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Well, if you want to go new, I think YearOne sells new headliners and sunvisors.

http://yearone.com/pco/G_0307/0010.asp

The cloth covered one is $187.00, which isn't bad in my opinion.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Big Mike 2005 (or something close to that) has a custom headliner for his TA, so I'd ask him some ?s. Even if you're just wanting to re-upholster it and not go custom, I wouldnt be surprised if he couldnt give you some pointers.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the replies. I do know Big Mike so I'll see what he has to say.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I replaced the headliner in my 93 (Hardtop) and my wife's 98 (T-Top). I recommend going with the injection molded set-up that is offered byHawks Third Gen Parts . They cost a little bit more per unit but it is WAY better then the fiber board crap. Just my
Old 07-27-2007, 03:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

I changed from nuetral to ebony interior, I took my headliner to a local shop, they charged me $45 to do the color change on it. My car is a hardtop...
Old 07-27-2007, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

^ I think things are alot cheaper in Iowa . Around here they would charge alot more.

Thanks for the replies and info. The one from third gen is nice but more then I wanted to spend right now
Old 07-27-2007, 09:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

I recovered my headliner in suede to go with the rest of my car's interior and it was no easy task. The curves that it makes around the T-tops are VERY tricky to do and make look right and the added weight of new material WILL make it sag if you aren't careful. The visors proved to be too difficult for me since they are stitched together, so I opted to remove them completely. Much cleaner look that way anyway. Just be very careful and VERY tedious if you plan on doing this yourself.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:20 AM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Trent
I recovered my headliner in suede to go with the rest of my car's interior and it was no easy task.

Got any pics? Interested to see how it turned out.
Old 07-28-2007, 11:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

well i know there is a guy on ebay that sells hard plastic replacements for the ttop
Old 07-28-2007, 01:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SRZ
Got any pics? Interested to see how it turned out.
I made a thread about it, but yeah here's a few pictures. Not wanting to hijack the thread or anything.

Old 07-28-2007, 07:41 PM
Launching!

I made a thread about it, but yeah here's a few pictures. Not wanting to hijack the thread or anything.

how much does a suade job like that usally cost materials/labor? and my friend did a red color on his sides and after install the plastic door handle bar felt not really connected. he had to make a lil wood plate behind that for some big screws. did you have that problem on your doors???
Old 07-29-2007, 08:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

As far as I know the cars with cloth on the door panels rather then the leather are made differently and can't be removed from the handles/panel itself. At least in my case that's how it is. The panels is all one big piece with some big plastic holding everything to the back and are like melted over. Its very odd.

Thanks for all the ideas everyone.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by motownZ
how much does a suade job like that usally cost materials/labor? and my friend did a red color on his sides and after install the plastic door handle bar felt not really connected. he had to make a lil wood plate behind that for some big screws. did you have that problem on your doors???
The door handle has two screws holding it in. You sure both of them are secure? The door handle itself has about 6 screws in total holding it in, and until every last one of them is in, the door handle won't feel solid. All my screws/bolts are back in and it feels just like it did when it was stock. No problem at all getting them secure.

I don't know how much it normally costs. I did this all myself for about 200-300 in materials and about 40-60 hours in labor to get it how I wanted it. I actually redid a few of the panels to make absolutely sure they came out how I wanted them to. Ultimately everything came perfect, but I don't even WANT to know what an upholstery shop would charge to do it.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Flamin' bird
^ I think things are alot cheaper in Iowa . Around here they would charge alot more.

Thanks for the replies and info. The one from third gen is nice but more then I wanted to spend right now

Car stuff is not cheap around here. Our body shops are @ $52/hr, pretty much the top tier in the nation right now, there are tons of states that the ave is $10/hr cheaper than here.

The shop that did mine does all kinds of auto upholstery stuff, typically they are not cheap at all, but it is a pretty quick job.

Have you gotten any quotes yet?
Old 07-30-2007, 08:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm going to attempt it myself with a kit I bought. I also found instructions so I am hoping I can do it. I've done a ton of stuff on the car myself and other things in my life including alot on the house I owned: ripping out alot of stuff, laying a tile floor, refinishing the wood floors, re-siding the front of the house...and the list goes on. I've done alot of appearance stuff on the car myself too so I'm not afraid to attempt it.

I do know upholstery work is expensive as it does require a skill. I had my 94' Firebird's seats redone in a red tweed type fabric with grey vinyl inserts for $700 and that was way back in 2000 in PA in the Amish country!
Old 07-30-2007, 10:38 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

As far as I know the cars with cloth on the door panels rather then the leather are made differently and can't be removed from the handles/panel itself. At least in my case that's how it is. The panels is all one big piece with some big plastic holding everything to the back and are like melted over. Its very odd.

Thanks for all the ideas everyone.
No, they are exactly the same.

I have the cloth interior and recovered the black cloth in the door panels with silver stock-like cloth that I got at a fabric store for $5 or $6 a yard. I bought 4 yards (in case of mistakes and to have left over) and only used about half.

Here is the write-up I followed to do the silver inserts in my door panels:
http://www.lastofthebreed.com/Instal.../DoorPanel.htm
Except that instead of re-melting the posts, I used a blob of LockTite Plastic Epoxy on each post and kept some pressure/weight on the panel to hold it together until the epoxy hardened. I didn't use contact cement for the whole thing either, only the edges that get folded over so that I didn't get any glue bleeding through the cloth. I used some "carpet tape" also around the edge that doesn't get folded over to help hold things in place.

I also covered the center console lid in the same silver cloth.

Sorry, no pictures.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I recovered my headliner in suede to go with the rest of my car's interior and it was no easy task. The curves that it makes around the T-tops are VERY tricky to do and make look right and the added weight of new material WILL make it sag if you aren't careful. The visors proved to be too difficult for me since they are stitched together, so I opted to remove them completely. Much cleaner look that way anyway. Just be very careful and VERY tedious if you plan on doing this yourself.

He's right about that. I redid mine with stock material, and with t tops it is not even close to as straightforward as hard top. Because you can see some of the top side (the side where everything folds over) when the tops are off, you have to be very careful about how much material you leave for it to not turn out badly on the edges where there is a curve by the t top gaskets.

However, when you leave material it becomes necessary to stretch the material a lot over the curves, which is where I had trouble. Came out ok in the end and I got my material on clearance, so it only cost me $8 for a can of permatex and the material, but I am not 100% happy with it. It's staying how it is though.

The visor stitching got me too...I have no sewing machine so that was right out.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I am contemplating doing this myself. When I have the t-tops out you can see its pretty faded and now it's actually started to wear away and you can see the foam showing through. I get the yuckies feeling when I see foam/stuffing along with torn upholstery in things....seats ect I cant even sit on a seat in a restaurant if the seat is torn.

Anyway the visors are looking the same way so I want to replace it all. I found a few places to get the graphite cloth online for a fairly reasonable price.

Has anyone else attempted this theirselves??

TIA

-Michelle
what exactly dose graphite fabric look like?

i'm bored of the intereior's blend in with everything nutral color and want to give it some life
Old 07-31-2007, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Graphite has some blended colors in it. But just the graphite cloth for headliners is one solid color....not like the cloth interiors on the fbodies. I wanted to have my headrests embroidered but the cloth ones done come off like the leather ones so I found a local auto upholsterer who was able to order a yard of the fabric and I made the headrests myself.

Quick Reply: Replacing headliner....