Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Custom interior people come in

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 09:28 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Custom interior people come in

Ok as some of you might know from my old posts I have custom tribal door inserts & headliner awaiting install. They are black & my current interior is Tan/Grey plastic. I'm thinkin about doin a little something else before I install the pieces I already have.

I'm wanting to cover my sail panels, trunk plastic, center console(minus top pad), a-pillars & door panels in black leather. I almost went the route of painting it with Krylon plastic fusion. The couple pieces I did turned out well, but I'm wanting a more expensive classy look upon opening the doors.

I have a buddy who used to do custom install at a local stereo shop who is willing to help me if I get the materials & time to do it. He has advise me that it's alot harder than I would think to do it & make it look OEM quality.

I'll probably still paint the radio benzel & little plastic parts like that with the Fusion, but the big stuff will be covered.

What do you guys think?? You think I should try it out?? Have any of you guys done this & if so what material did you use & what adhesive?? My car sets outside year round so the adhesive has to hold up to high temps from parking in the sun.

I'll also probably find a 02' Ebony dash to swap out instead of covering my current grey one. Plus the addition of a silver gauge benzel inside the dash, silver speaker grills, silver vent rings & brushed Aluminum MBA *****. My Pioneer deck is already instaslled in a brushed Aluminum plate instead of the black ABS plastic the kits use.

I'm lookin for a dark theme with subtle Aluminum/Chrome accents inside & out. Currently my exterior is NBM with VHT side markers & rear tails accompained by the Chrome vinyl inserts for the rear "Pontiac", door emblems & front bird. I'm plannin on changing those to DragonZ polished stainless after I get a fresh paint job. Along with Chrome Z06 wheels. This interior/exterior project should take me about a year.

Just lookin for opinions & helpful information at this stage.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:44 PM
12 Second Club

No opinions or people who have either done this or looked into doin it??
Old 08-10-2007, 10:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

I was going to attemp that when I went through my car and put suede througout it. Unfortunately with the rough texture and the numerous curves and lines, it just didn't work. I bought an extra sail panel set and door panel and tried it. It didn't work out too well. The textured surfaces were the ones that were the worst. I still did cover the areas on the door panels that were leather in suede, but the textured areas did not get anything done to them.
Old 08-11-2007, 01:37 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

You might be interested in this thread where vikingramair covered his interior in vinyl:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/734488-interior-mod.html
Old 08-12-2007, 10:21 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike, I went to the Sherwin Williams automotive paint store at 47th and Memorial (I'm pretty sure it was 47th). They color matched some paint off my cup holder, and I had someone with a spray gun paint my trim pieces back to the stock color. The paint is stuck on there pretty good, and matches better than any of the rattle cans I could find. I also had to spray on some Bull Dog Adhesion Promoter, you can get that in a rattle can anywhere. If you are interested I have an ebony 6-speed console I could sell you.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:41 AM
12 Second Club

PM sent

Quick Reply: Custom interior people come in