Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Easiest way to get swirl marks out of paint?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 12:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Easiest way to get swirl marks out of paint?

I have a 2001 NBM Z-28 and have been using the regular old Turtle wax on the car. It does a good job and brings out a very nice shine but I've got shitloads of swirl marks in the paint. How can I get them out? I have a big car show and cruise to go to next weekend in Gatlinburg so I want to get the car immaculate. Thanks!

Mike
Old 09-09-2007, 01:10 PM
TECH Addict

Easiest way to get out swirl marks is with a Porter Cable Polisher and a high quality polishing compound.

I go over the car with a PC using Menzerna Intensive Polish, then the Final Polish, finished off with Formula113 Wax.

I have a Black WS6 - when I'm done, no swirl marks

After that, I use only Meguires Detail Spray (never wash car with soap/water) and either microfiber towels or 100% cotton towels with no stiching around the edge.

I'm sure you'll get replies from others with their favorite polish - but using a Porter Cable Polisher is pretty much the norm.

-Jay-

Old 09-09-2007, 01:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Cool, thanks! I'll go pick one up this week and go over the whole car. Those swirl marks drive me nuts so it's something that definately needs attention.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:14 PM
Launching!

Thread jack lol, nice bird!
Old 09-09-2007, 02:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Read this post I made, and then read it again.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....6&postcount=19
Old 09-09-2007, 03:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been detailing for a few years as a side job and I've used several different methods to attempt to get swirls and some spider scratches out.

The easiest and most effective product I've used is the Tropi-Care Swirl Cutter. Very easy to use, you only have ot use a VERY little bit of the product, and it is extremely effective at removing them. MOST products such as this will actually only "fill in" the swirls and they will come back pretty quickly. The Swirl Cutter by Tropi-Care will actually remove them and in essence level off the clearcoat without just filling them in.

The TC Swirl Cutter will always have my vote. Great great product and the folks there have worked very hard to give such an excellent product for us to use.
Old 09-09-2007, 04:51 PM
TECH Veteran

is there one you can use by hand?
Old 09-09-2007, 05:56 PM
TECH Addict

Well, I'm sure you could use a lot of them by hand - but it's gonna be a lot of hard work - and the results will not be the same.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:46 PM
TECH Resident

Its almost impossible to get rid of swirls by hand. You can sometimes cover them up temporarily, but to remove them your gonna need a PC
Old 09-09-2007, 06:49 PM
TECH Addict

And the $$ you pay for the PC is WELL worth it, believe me.

You aren't just gonna be using it one time - you'll be doing the car regularly. Even with my car being kept under a quality cover, and only out of gargage on nice weekends - I still have to go over the car several times per year to get rid of swirls that happen.

PLus you can always use the PC on your other cars
Old 09-09-2007, 07:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use the Porter Cable Buffer also, But if You just want to do a Small are, Get a Bottle of 3M Swirl Mark Remover and a Soft Micro fiber or 100% Cotton Towel, It will do Wonders!!
Old 09-09-2007, 07:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

If you're looking to hide them, and don't want to use a Porter Cable buffer, I'd recommend Klasse AIO Polish + Klasse Sealant Glaze. But it will take time to ship, how soon do you need it?
Old 09-09-2007, 10:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

1QUICKWS6, Your car is very nice! Do you have the full WW kit or just the front piece? Also, do you have any side pics of the car you could post up or PM me? I am getting my car fully detailed on Wednesday.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:30 AM
TECH Addict

Thanx!

I only used the front spoiler from the WW kit - just to get the ground effects all around the car at the same height.

Old 09-10-2007, 08:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1QUIKWS6
... After that, I use only Meguires Detail Spray (never wash car with soap/water) and either microfiber towels or 100% cotton towels with no stiching around the edge. ...

-Jay-
Jay .. your car looks great, man ..

only using the QD is probably making things more difficult on you ..

washing with a good soap using the two bucket method and safe drying techniques is better on the paint than only using QD. much less chance of introducing new swirls ..

can't argue with the reuslts you are getting .. but the road you are taking could be easier ..
Old 09-10-2007, 09:20 AM
TECH Addict

No doubt - problem I have with using soap/water is that sun is in my driveway from about 8AM till sundown - no matter how hard I would try, always had bad waterspotting - could never dry the car off fast enough to eliminate. So I would end up having to use the QD anyway after drying car.

I even went so far as to try the MrClean apparatus that is supposed to eliminate water spotting - didn't work at all for me
Old 09-10-2007, 09:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Revelation Z28
is there one you can use by hand?

The answer is really no. Te problem with using these products by hand is that they require heat to work properly. The little "cutting particles" in the products break down as they heat up, effectively eliminating the scratches they made when they were larger. Think of it as using a continuously variable sandpaper grit that is always getting more fine.

I personally use Poorboys' SSR line, and I'm not alone. I have used TC-8 Swirl Cutter, and the Poorboys line did much better for me. TC-8 is just one product, where as the SSR line is 3 or 4. I use the SSR2.5 to get out heavy swirls and light scratches, then I use the SSR1 to get out any marring the 2.5 left behind. Again, there are numerous products that remove swirls, this just happens to be my top choice.

Here's a shot after my most recent detail. The finish was topped off with only P21S, as I was waiting for a shipment with Poorboys Pro Polish, EX-P sealant, and Natty's Blue wax.

Quick Reply: Easiest way to get swirl marks out of paint?