Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

just bought 98 Z28, I feel bad or it look at the pics inside :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 03:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default just bought 98 Z28, I feel bad or it look at the pics inside :(

Ok guys i just bought this today at around 10:30am and this is exactly how i got it .. The person that owned this car must not have given 2 ***** about what his car looked like. kinda sad. Just take a look at these quik pics i took before i had to get back to work!! I was trying to show some of the bad spots.
I've got alot of detailing ahead of me but i kinda enjoy it, bringing these cars back to life. Also i might add its not too bad of shape body wise for 117k miles. Also the car is just how i like it, stock as a rock .

Now for the pics: Lemme know what ya think..

What you guys think i should do first to improve the looks of this thing?? The cheapest way first .. Ill prob put some wheels on it sometime or another and lower it. Im new to camaros so you camaro guys lemme know what would change the looks of this car..

Thanks for looking.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:41 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been thinking of getting a Camaro like this and re-building it...

I would get some new head lights or clean the ones on there.

Definitely detail the engine bay, maybe even drop the motor and re paint, relocate grounds & cables, wire mod, ect.

Take off all the smog stuff if you don't need it for emissions or you're going to make the car fast.

Get a lid, new seats, pull the interior out and clean it, new center console.

New tips or a catback.

Take the silver z28 sticker off.

Pull the grill out.

Detail the paint.

There's TONS of **** you can do, just depends how much you wanna spend and how much time you have

Last edited by SPECIALIZED STAINLESS; 10-04-2007 at 03:53 PM.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Edit: ^^^ Listen to anything this guy tells you, his camaro is clean as hell. I thought I was going to be the first one to post. Whatever I forgot to say, he said it.

Looks like all is pretty repairable. I'd start off with the most obvious and get a center console from another car. Then just a good detailing inside and outside. Don't forget the engine bay, although it just looks like it's dusty. I can't believe how much the stock airbox sticks out. Get a new or used aftermarket lid.

I really don't think you need to go with rims right away. It will look better lowered though. Also the tint is a plus.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Ya a lid will definitely be going on soon ..

Im more asking about the exterior!! Like what kind of grille? And i read up on the whistler mod and i will prob do it while i clean up the lenses with the novus polishing kit..

It has a chokemaster on it right now and sounds good but ya i will prob get a catback just to give it a nice sound and better MPG and ofcourse performance .

Well i was thinking of renting a rug doctor and trying to clean up the seats and carpet with it. Anyone ever used one before?? I have never seen a car this dirty and my TA definitely has never been anywhere even close to this lol.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

if that were mine id detail the interior and engine bay. dont start modifying until you see what youre working with. new headlights would be nice since those look to be hazed over.

for the interior it looks like youll want a new center console and shift ****.

once you get everything cleaned up if have the paint fixed (do i see cheap touch up?) and have it all wet sanded and polished. then id get a lid and catback.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

as far as grill i say either leave that or get the SLP bowtie one...thats what im looking at, but theres so many other things higher on my priority list right now.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

****... Flowmaster/K&N = Far from stock!

I just did the inside of mine and after 6 years of a DD with two children. Let's just say DIRTY. It now stays inside 99% of the time and the truck is the Dirty DD.

Anyway.... Happy Cleaning.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:48 PM
TECH Addict

Well it doesnt look that bad, from the outside. Im sure close up view's, you'll see all the scratches & etc. on the car, but not bad looking. Definately get rid of the Z28 sticker and pretty much everything TOOFAZT said is good to do and get that car looking like new.

I got 1 question for you tho, how does the car sound (exhaust wise) with those tips??? Im thinking of changin my tips, i may consider going with those style tips, but having them Centered. I just dont like the look of my tips, everything from trucks to car's have that style look.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

wow.. that car looks identical to mine when i got it,

other than that.. my car was like new and driven 30k, but those car have bin identical when they where new
Old 10-04-2007, 06:46 PM
TECH Resident

I would love to detail it and bring it back to life....Congrats on the purchase and get to work!
Old 10-04-2007, 06:59 PM
10 Second Club

It just needs a little TLC.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Well guys i started the cleaning today. It started raining but i didn't care i was out there washing away in the rain. I just did a quickie wash on the outside nothing really. Mostly i took care of the bay ...

!st i got some grocery bags and covered the fuse box, then i covered the ECM in the back left corner, and i covered the wires running across the pass. side fender well. Then i got a spray bottle put some super purple or some **** degreaser and mixed just a tad bit of water with it and sprayed it all over the bay. Let sit for only about a min and sprayed off with the thumb over the end of the pressure washer .

Well that just didn't please me, soo i got my tooth brush and did a lil bit with it got it looking a lil better. Still wasn't pleased!! So i sprayed some more of that purple **** on it and went back over it again.

Looked a lil better but i still wasn't pleased. SOo i got the can of engine brite i had stashed and sprayed it all over the place and let it sit for 15 min and sprayed it off.

Then i ran out of daylight and had to stop .. But overall its made a HUGE improvement..

Wish i could take some pics i may tomorrow at work again though and post the after the detailing pic of the bay.

This weekend will be when i yank the interior out and get at it with a rug doctor.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

I love the blowmaster stickers on the intake..get rid of that decal and those tips..detail it up and get a center console, start with some tint, a billet grill, maybe some halos and some clear corners...the small stuff goes a long ways
Old 10-04-2007, 08:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Wait on the wheels...

I agree with a poster above - I'd wait on the wheels and spend the money on other stuff like replacing or fixing the console, cleaning up or replacing the grille and headlights and other stuff. Personally, I'd focus on the interior first because that's what you're going to see the most and I bet it's gonna bug you about the broken inside stuff until you get them fixed.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I would clean it all up 1st before you do anything with the wheels
Old 10-04-2007, 08:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Ya im thinking about doing the whistler mod to my lights alond with polishing them up.. THe wheels will definitely be later bc they are more $$$ but ill be cleaning the interior up this weekend most likely.

Im looking for a cheap A4 console. I remember seeing one on ebay go for like $45, now i cant find one for ****.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm hoping you got that car cheap because it looks like it was beat to hell. Good luck with the project it will be nice to see the progress. How does it run. I say since it is a plain black z28 you continue with the sleeper theme because it would be easier that way and just do all the small things that count and don't put too much into the car. Are you keeping it or flipping it?
Old 10-04-2007, 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Man hit that thing with a wheel and it will surprise you how clean it will turn out.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thats what mine looked like when i bought it....

except my guy was a smoker and had burnt a hole in the seats that he MELTED back together, its bad right there.

it was cool meeting him at work though and showing him what ive done, he just about creid for letting it go,

but your car is definatley in fixable condition, ive seen much worse around here and that has alot of potential, id say do the freeish stuff first on the outside (whistler, good cleaning) and put the work now into the interior cause you have to look at that every time you get into the car.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:50 PM
TECH Resident

looks like you've got some work ahead of you... sweet car with definently lots of potential...