Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

hid's where to buy from?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 02:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default hid's where to buy from?

where are you guys getting you hid's for the fog lights on a t/a and how hard is it to install them?
Old 10-20-2007, 09:32 AM
Staging Lane

I bought mine on the classifieds board but you can get them from http://www.ledgauges.com/.

They're very easy to install... took maybe 30 mins total and most of that was from jacking up the front of the car and unscrewing the bottom of the front bumper.
Old 10-20-2007, 01:37 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by 351mach
They're very easy to install... took maybe 30 mins total and most of that was from jacking up the front of the car and unscrewing the bottom of the front bumper.
Why did you jack up the car and unscrew the bottom of the front bumper?
Old 10-20-2007, 01:43 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by VIP1
Why did you jack up the car and unscrew the bottom of the front bumper?
Probably because he didn't wanna pin his head between the bottom bumper cover and the pavement.
Old 10-20-2007, 04:34 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MikeSomething
Probably because he didn't wanna pin his head between the bottom bumper cover and the pavement.
That's pretty much it. I've found it's a lot easier to do by jacking the car up and working from underneath instead of trying to do everything from the top...
Old 10-20-2007, 10:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Disturbed Bird
where are you guys getting you hid's for the fog lights on a t/a and how hard is it to install them?
If i see you driving around lake mary with hids in the headlights ricer style im kicking you in the sack!
Old 10-21-2007, 12:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

lol. that would suck i see you all the time nice t/a by the way. but what do you mean by ricer style?
Old 10-21-2007, 09:31 AM
Banned

hids in a non-hid housing like the non-sealed beam housings some places sell for our cars. It causes massive amounts of glare and usually doesn't light up the road all that well for you to see. Hella makes sealed projectors that you can mount with ease in our cars that are a decent price that you could throw HIDs into.
Old 10-21-2007, 11:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

oooo. ya i planed on putting projectors in. got a part number?
Old 10-21-2007, 06:20 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Check out the Lighting FAQ. Its in the "Hall of Fame" sticky. A link to the Lighting FAQ is also in my Sig (I wrote it).
Old 10-22-2007, 09:07 PM
Staging Lane

do you have pics of the projectors or HIDs youre talking about?
Old 10-22-2007, 09:32 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Originally Posted by Impackt
do you have pics of the projectors or HIDs youre talking about?
Yes, look in the lighting FAQ.
Its in the "Hall of Fame" sticky, and its in my sig.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:43 AM
Banned

go to google and type in Hella 90mm projectors and go to the website that has rally and lights followed by a .com There are three different types you can go with: The 90mm H9 which is mainly for use with halogen bulbs but some aftermarket HID companies make a rebased H9 bulb so you could do that. With the H9 projector there is also a way to modify it to fit a D2S (the most common OEM HID bulb) in there.
There is then the 90mm H7 ECE code projector. A little more expensive but a better cutoff and easier to modify to fit in the D2S bulb. All you have to do is purchase a H7 to D2S adapter on ebay for like 7-10 bucks.
Then there is the 90m D2S projector. It'll be expensive for a set but in my opinion it's worth it because it is made to fit the D2S bulb, you won't have to worry about weather getting into the projecter either because it seals up pretty well. I have this and they are cool I just have not yet installed them on my car becaue i want to wait until i rip the car apart to paint and re-do the interior so I make sure I get it right. They seem like they will be easy to install.

You could also try and retrofit a non-sealed projector in there but that is more time consuming and most likely going to be more money. I tried doing that with Bosch e46 projectors on my LT1 but I didn't have the funding or time to fool around with it. If you end up getting all the stuff i'll help you install it and make a wiring harness for it. Because our factory harness sucks *** and will not perform all that great with something like HIDs. (as I found out with the fog light hids on my last car).
Old 10-23-2007, 09:32 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Originally Posted by DirtyBird222
go to google and type in Hella 90mm projectors and go to the website that has rally and lights followed by a .com
... its listed in the Lighting FAQ too.
Hopefully I don't get yelled at for that since none of the sponsors carry anything like it.

There is then the 90mm H7 ECE code projector. A little more expensive but a better cutoff and easier to modify to fit in the D2S bulb. All you have to do is purchase a H7 to D2S adapter on ebay for like 7-10 bucks.
There are also H7 HID kits available too (which is a D2S bulb with a H7 base) so you don't have to buy an adapter. But will it be aligned perfectly? I don't know. Although... the H7 is close in size/shape/alignment to a D2S. Then again so is the H9. (Read below to see what I am talking about.)

Then there is the 90m D2S projector. It'll be expensive for a set but in my opinion it's worth it because it is made to fit the D2S bulb
Its very expensive, but it will probably shine the light better although I've been reading that the only apparent difference between their HID and non-HID 90mm projector may only be the base (where the bulb connects), but this is unconfirmed. I did find a link in a BMW Z3 forum that said that when retrofitting a D2S into the H9 90mm projector, the better location for the DS2 capsule is slightly in and down compared to the H9 bulb. A H9 HID may or may not already make this compensation. I don't know, but probably not.

you won't have to worry about weather getting into the projecter either because it seals up pretty well.
That was the biggest selling point for me to buy these over other projectors. (I have the Hella halogen H9 90mm projectors and I have a H9 HID kit waiting to be installed.)

You could also try and retrofit a non-sealed projector in there but that is more time consuming and most likely going to be more money.
I listed some installs and discussions in the Lighting FAQ.

If you end up getting all the stuff i'll help you install it and make a wiring harness for it. Because our factory harness sucks *** and will not perform all that great with something like HIDs. (as I found out with the fog light hids on my last car).
Could you elaborate? What happened? Maybe the fog light wiring's gauge is lower than the headlights? It was designed for a 25watt bulb and not the startup spike of HID. It looks like the factory headlight wiring is either 18 or 16 gauge (at least thats what it looks like on my 2001 Formula's headlights).

DirtyBird222: If you want, you can put together a write-up or information post and I can add it to the Lighting FAQ. You seem to know a lot about the subject.

Last edited by VIP1; 10-23-2007 at 09:38 AM.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

go to google and type in Hella 90mm projectors and go to the website that has rally and lights followed by a .com There are three different types you can go with: The 90mm H9 which is mainly for use with halogen bulbs but some aftermarket HID companies make a rebased H9 bulb so you could do that. With the H9 projector there is also a way to modify it to fit a D2S (the most common OEM HID bulb) in there.
Then there is the 90m D2S projector. It'll be expensive for a set but in my opinion it's worth it because it is made to fit the D2S bulb, you won't have to worry about weather getting into the projecter either because it seals up pretty well. I have this and they are cool I just have not yet installed them on my car becaue i want to wait until i rip the car apart to paint and re-do the interior so I make sure I get it right. They seem like they will be easy to install.

You could also try and retrofit a non-sealed projector in there but that is more time consuming and most likely going to be more money. I tried doing that with Bosch e46 projectors on my LT1 but I didn't have the funding or time to fool around with it. If you end up getting all the stuff i'll help you install it and make a wiring harness for it. Because our factory harness sucks *** and will not perform all that great with something like HIDs. (as I found out with the fog light hids on my last car).
no problem ill pm you when im ready to do that. just got to get the funds. thanks
Old 10-23-2007, 01:14 PM
Banned

VIP if you want, I've just researched it so much due to the lack of options we have as firebird owners in what we can do as far as aftermarket performance lighting.

I have yet to fix my problem with my new car, but on the LT1 bird i had both lights would start up and work fine for a few minutes but the passenger side would start to flicker/blink. I thought it might have been the ballast/bulb but I switched sides and the same side did the same thing. So I cut cut the bulb off a stock 880 and used that as the starting point for harness. Soldered some heavy gage wireing onto the base of the old bulb and ran it to the ballasts and everything worked fine. For some reason I couldn't solder the 880 bulbs that were in the car and haven't tried anything yet on the LS1 car. When not bolted in both lights come on and stay on, but when I install them onto the car only the drivers side works. I have switched sides and everything and same problem. It could just be the kit I got from ledgauges but I just wanted some for the foglights like that, I'm going all OEM for my headlights!
Old 10-23-2007, 02:24 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Was the metal casing of the ballast touching metal on the car (like the frame)? Many people have reported that isolating the metal casing from the frame fixed the issue. I guess it may have had a ground loop problem.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:44 PM
Banned

It is touching the frame but I have no idea where else to put it, the other ballast is on the frame too. The LT1 was easier because I just mounted the ballasts at the bottom of the fog light bracket, on the ls1s they are a little different and I can't do that. I'm thinking I have a ground problem but I don't know where to even start on that.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:42 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Use double sided foam trim tape to put a sheet of plastic between the ballast and frame. Then augment that mounting with zip ties. The plastic sheet will keep the ballast off the frame and the foam tape will hold the sheet to the frame and ballast to the sheet. The zip ties are extra insurance to make sure nothing moves.
-or-
Use high-strength auto/outdoor velcro to attach the ballasts to the frame (cover the whole bottom of the ballast so none of it can touch the frame).

I'll probably go with option 2.
I have used high-strength auto/outdoor velcro on other areas with luck.

Make sure the area is clean before doing either.

Last edited by VIP1; 10-23-2007 at 07:48 PM.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:35 PM

Sounds like they are grounding to the frame. Double sided tape or velco will fix that.

Also if you plan on getting HID's for the fog lights it might help to run a relay as well.

Quick Reply: hid's where to buy from?