Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

wings west trans am kit, opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2003, 10:48 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default wings west trans am kit, opinions?

Hey Ive been debating getting the wings west kit for my WS6. I like the way the front air dam looks. Does anyone know if you need to get the complete kit or can you just put the front air dam on the car and it will blend ok? Also I dont want it if it looks to rice-ish. What does everyone think? Heres a link to some pics I found of it.

Wings West Pic
Old 06-12-2003, 10:58 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Default Re: wings west trans am kit, opinions?

The gfx package looks nice, but not that wing. I have seen some with just the front piece, but IMHO it looks better as a package and not just the the front piece. Stick with the stock T/A wing. Actually I dont remember what the back looks like. Do you have any pics of that? Usually people just post front and side pics. Another concern is cooling, since that front piece blocks some air from getting to the airdam which sends air to the radiator. If cooling isnt a problem (maybe others can chime in) then I'd say go for it.

--VIP1
Old 06-12-2003, 12:55 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have BMR lowering springs. They lower the car an inch. Other kits lower it more I think. With the car lowered, some nice wheels, I think the kit cant compare. It is on the verge of being rice in my book, especially the wing. Atleast lower the car first, you'll be happy with performance and looks.
Old 06-12-2003, 01:02 PM
On The Tree

Yeah I wasnt sold on the wing either. And I had the same question about the air coming in. Here is a picture of the back. Notice how the rear skirts stick out a little? I dont like that look and Im wondering if its the same way with the front peice. If so, it wont match if I only get the front done. Does anyone have this kit that could answer this question?

WingsWest2 Pic
Old 06-12-2003, 03:16 PM
Launching!

I have the kit... here it is.
The Demon
You can order the pieces seperatly. Just getting the front piece is ok, but the side skirts do really stick out and add a lot to the look. The rears are hit or miss. The bad is that they kind of hide the look of the rear tire sticking out. The good is that its the complete kit, and it finishes off the look with the side skirts.
I have a tone of pics on my site. Just enter and goto "customized cars" in the left frame. Then pick "DarkLord" at the top.
wrecking crew
Old 06-12-2003, 07:38 PM
On The Tree

I think yours looks cool but youre right that I dont think it would look right if you didnt get all the peices. Why havent you lowered it? Does the kit make the car too low to drop after you put it on?
Old 06-12-2003, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have the kit on my NBM WS6. The front piece will block the incoming air to your air deflector!! The WW deflector is bigger and will let more air in I agree, BUT, its a lot heavier and will scrape unimagineably (at least thats what I was told). I stayed with the stock air deflector (the black plastic-like piece under the engine).

My car temp gauge went up to about 3/4 some times. You should be considering your weather climate on whether to do this or not. It goes to about 95F here. Overheating was a problem for me. I avoided the overheating hassle by getting a 160 hypertech thermostat and programming my fan settings with the hpp3 programmer. It is now working perfectly fine with no overheating problems whatsoever.

I dont have the back wing. I think its ugly. This kit turned so many more heads than you can imagine. I got some pictures just dont know how to host them.

If your interested email me at aka9399@hotmail.com and Ill email you some pics.
Old 06-12-2003, 08:27 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought about whether or not to buy it for a long time. I like the way the kit looks, but I decided I will just lower the car instead. I figure the kit would be perfect to a stock to lightly lowered car. After that, cooling becomes an even bigger issue and there is really no way to use the air deflector that comes with the kit. It's hard enough not to scrape it with the stock ride height. I plan on doing G2 springs with Koni Adjustable shocks so this kit is just not feasible for me. If you plan on lowering your car a mild amount, I would say stay away from the kit. Even driving cautiously, you'll still scrape, depending upon the roads in your area.
Good Luck,

Rob
Old 06-12-2003, 08:46 PM
Launching!

I think yours looks cool but youre right that I dont think it would look right if you didnt get all the peices. Why havent you lowered it? Does the kit make the car too low to drop after you put it on?
lol, I just spent $$$ over the past 4 months buying everything in my sig. I was thinking about lowering it, but It might be too low with both. although I talked with the guy at project transam about it (he has the kit and its lowered) and said it was working out great. Dont worry about scraping... it only a black piece of plastic that on one can see.
Old 06-12-2003, 08:52 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Thanks for the pic of the back. Its looks like an extentsion of the side pieces. If you get the side pieces, I'd recommend getting the rear too.

--VIP1
Old 06-12-2003, 09:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I like the Wings West GFX, just not the Wings West Commando wing too much.
Old 06-12-2003, 11:20 PM
On The Tree

I personally don't like body kits on F-Bodies. I think they make the cars look like SH!!T (exception TRILOGY's). I think they take too much away from the car.
Old 06-13-2003, 11:18 AM
Launching!

here's a pic of mine. i only did the air dam, not fond of the rest of the kit.
Old 06-29-2003, 06:18 PM
On The Tree

Well, Ive decided to go with bad ***' opinion and get the car lowered first. I think it will look a lot more agressive that way. Also Im sick of the car doing a nose dive eveytime I hit the brakes...

Hey 2001, where did you get the alum grill peice? That looks bad ***!

Quick Reply: wings west trans am kit, opinions?