Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Car covered in concrete and tan epoxy based paint...???

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 12:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Car covered in concrete and tan epoxy based paint...???

Alrighty, three weeks ago I completely detailed and polished the Z, looked friggin great. I parked it at my GF's appartments one night and the next afternoon I go out to head to school and my car is covered in masonary dust and tan epoxy based paint... After spending the entire day finding out who was responsible I finally got an answer. So I've taken it to three different body shops and they all say it can't be removed and fixed without a total new paint job. It ruined the wheels, tires, glass, all the rubber trim and all the paint, etc... The body shop's estimate was $12,000 in damage due to the type of paint I have and pearls and **** that need be added to make it right again, and the stripes and etc...

I take it to the detail shop and they say they can "clay bar" it off and rebuff the entire car and make it look like new, but I think the clay bar is just gonna grind that nasty *** **** into the paint and make it even worse...

The car got covered in masonary dust and then got severly oversprayed with this paint. Do ya'll really think and detail shop can fix this horrible mess or would a total paint job be the answer.

The company liable for this agreed to pay to have it completely detailed, but if it comes out looking shitty I'm gonna go after them for a new paint job.

What do ya'll think about this situation? What should I do? Should I even let the detail shop touch it?

-Rick
Old 11-05-2007, 12:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm about to take some pics for legal reasons and post them up on Myspace and make it available for all to view.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:44 PM
Staging Lane

yeah, lets see it... either way you go, at least they are paying for it... so go big! lol
Old 11-06-2007, 08:56 AM
TECH Resident

Ouch. That sux man. I would make sure the company responsible knows that the detail may not actually repair the damage...
good luck...
Old 11-06-2007, 02:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im no body guy But I would think that they could do an "Aggressive" color sand and buff to get it out..but like Evan said....If their paying....Go Big... have it painted at a "stealership" that way your double covered
Old 11-06-2007, 02:41 PM
TECH Junkie

get it detailed first and if that dont work make them fix it, but chances are if you get greedy and go straight for the new paint job they will turn it in on their insurance and they will total your car
Old 11-06-2007, 02:50 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 02gtp4now
get it detailed first and if that dont work make them fix it, but chances are if you get greedy and go straight for the new paint job they will turn it in on their insurance and they will total your car
That would be pretty cool...let them "total" the car, buy it back, take it to get detailed and use all of the extra $$$ for PERFORMANCE upgrades...................probably won't happen, but it would be sweet if it did.

Good luck getting everything straightened out RickyMartinZ28.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:01 PM
Launching!

Def take the pics for legal reasons, and post them up on here so we can see exactly what you are talking about.

I wouldn't try to screw this company over by going "big" unless you def need too. If you tell them 12 grand i'm sure they will look at you and laugh and just delay the whole process of getting it fixed
Old 11-06-2007, 05:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

What color is that and how is your car a 6.0 ( i think thats what the scoop said)
Old 11-06-2007, 07:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

And about the color sanding... I've wetsanded and buffed the car about 2 times and buffed it probably 3 or 4 times since then... So I really don't think there is much clear left the polish...

-Rick
Old 11-06-2007, 08:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RickyMartinZ28
The estimates I've gotten range from 5k to 12k and its a custom color and blah blah so its a little more expensive, but they're gonna try the detail tomorrow and if it doesn't work out so well I'm definately gonna whine until they paint it. Cause the paint is in damn good shape and only about 2 years old...

The LT1 is a Custom Stroker done by a local machine shop, on all the paper work it just said it was a 6-liter and didn't give any cubic inches or anything... I'm guessing like a 383? I really don't know.

-Rick
a 383 is a 6.3

An LS2 6.0 is a 364 so yours must be somewhere around there but I dont know how they acheived that. Maybe stock stroke and a big bore, but I thought a .060 over LT1 was a 357 or a 360.
I could figure it out but im too lazy
Old 11-06-2007, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think a 350 bored .060 is a 363. If I did the math right. That should be basically a 6.0.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

I dunno I posted a topic about my Engine awhile back and got nothing but dumb comments... The Engine had been bored 60 over when I got it and the crank was in bad shape so they fixed the block and stuck in a new crank and oversized pistons and whatnot... The short block was built by my dad and the machine shop so I'm kinda in the dark about what all is done in there. It goes fast and is reliable so I'm good. But other than that I know all the detail about it. But I'm not gonna get started on all this, There are posts everyday about how badass someone's car is so I choose not to litter this place with trash.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Clay bar should remove it no problem. Any pics of the paint? I'll tell you if a detail would be able to get rid of it.

Quick Reply: Car covered in concrete and tan epoxy based paint...???