Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

93-97 T/A HID kit

Old 11-15-2007, 12:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93-97 T/A HID kit

Whos selling them? I thought it was ledguages.com but they dont have them.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did mine myself with new H4 housings from hella, adapter and a H4 Kaixen HID kit. Working on a projector retrofit this winter.

-Brian
Old 11-15-2007, 09:54 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackbirdws6
Working on a projector retrofit this winter.
Some of the threads I listed in the Lighting FAQ also show HIDs & Projectors in 1993-1997 Firebirds. Although I don't have a section marked for early 4th-gen, some of the other threads contain some info. If you do go with projectors, could you assemble a thread which I can add to the Lighting FAQ to help out others with early 4th-gen Firebirds?

The Lighting FAQ is in the "Hall of Fame" sticky (A link to it is also in my sig).

To keep hi/low beam functionality, you'd been bi-xenon projectors, but I'm not sure there is enough room for them to fit. One of the threads showed where someone did come cutting to the area behind the headlight to make a particular projector fit. If I find it again, I'll post it.

Last edited by VIP1; 11-15-2007 at 10:06 AM.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:02 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

I found the thead:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/491749-ls1-firebird-headlight-upgrades-general-guide.html
(Look at page 2)
Here is the specific post with pictures:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....9&postcount=34
It doesn't say what kind of projectors those are though.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So there is no company selling a kit for them, i could of sworn someone was selling them. I know i will lose the high beams but i dont use them anyways.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:04 PM
TECH Addict

VIP1: I have seen those pictures before but I'm not really fond of that install or the cutting that was required. The finished product is not up to my standards. I have a set of extra headlight buckets and will look to use a set of Infiniti FX bixenon ballasts since they seem to be the smallest of the bixenon projectors. The price I have seen on them on Ebay are around $80 so it's not too bad. I am probably looking to do a similar retrofit like I have seen others do using plexiglass. Once that work is done, I will be looking into have a harness made to adapt the wiring since I'm not big on cutting wires.

Once I'm done I will do a write-up with plenty of pics.

I think LS1_SS was selling a kit but I can't remember.

-Brian
Old 11-15-2007, 08:27 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

...Infiniti FX bixenon ballasts since they seem to be the smallest of the bixenon projectors. The price I have seen on them on Ebay are around $80 so it's not too bad. I am probably looking to do a similar retrofit like I have seen others do using plexiglass.
That was SCRWS6. Here is the thread:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/746505-trans-am-firebird-lexan-projector-adapters-no-56k.html
(Its also listed in the Lighting FAQ.)
One difference would be that he removed the bi-xenon functionality where as you want to retain it and also his car is a late 4th-gen Firebird.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:22 AM
TECH Addict

I actually found that link in your lighting FAQ post. It's going to be tricky to get this to work but I think I can pull it off. LT1 birds just don't have as much room as the LS1 birds, especially since I would want to retain the bixenon functionality.

Would you happen to know if our systems are negatively or positively switched for the high beams? There is a test to figure this out but maybe someone who knows could chime in and let me know. It will be necessary when I have the wiring harness made up so the high beams work.

-Brian
Old 11-16-2007, 08:48 AM
Launching!

I recently sold my 97 T/A, but had a design somewhat mapped out for my headlights. I based mine of a another T/A from Camaroz28 forums, it had the sleepy eye mod done. All that entails is moving the stop on the inboard side of the headlight bucket. Full up position, i measured 8in from to of light to bumper measuring straight down. Width is about 8-9in across, and about 5-6in deep. Now, with the sleepy eye mod, i had it to where the headlight opened at 4-5in tall, you have the same width, but now have a deeper recess for mounting a projector in there. This distance increased to 7-8in, plenty of room to mount a projector. I was going to use the Acura TSX projectors as they are one of the smallest sets available. I wanted the bi-xenon feature, so perfect selection for me. So, in all aspects, reduce the headlight height and you gain some room to mount any type of projector in the 93-97 T/A, formy's.

Sorry if that's confusing, but i'll have to look for my drawing i made up this past winter. But, i'd say at minimum upgrade your headlight wiring harness, and relay the lights as well. This way you don't fry your headlight switch or wiring. Just an extra measure for better lighting.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:25 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Would you happen to know if our systems are negatively or positively switched for the high beams? There is a test to figure this out but maybe someone who knows could chime in and let me know. It will be necessary when I have the wiring harness made up so the high beams work.
I'm not sure, but why would it matter? Is the ground for the high-beam actuator shared with the ground for the bulb? Probably not, but if it is and the high beams turn out to be ground switched, you probably could easily modify the ground lead from the actuator to be separate.

Upon further thought, the high beam can't be ground switched since the high beam and low beam share the same ground. The bulb has three terminals, two positive terminals and one ground terminal. One positive terminal is for the low beam. The other positive terminal is for the high beam. The third terminal is the shared ground for both.
Old 11-17-2007, 04:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

ledguages does have them, but their site is under construction. I just spoke to nathan, hell email you pics if you want. $500 hid highs and lows, $400 hid lows, halogen highs
Old 11-17-2007, 10:24 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by VIP1
I'm not sure, but why would it matter? Is the ground for the high-beam actuator shared with the ground for the bulb? Probably not, but if it is and the high beams turn out to be ground switched, you probably could easily modify the ground lead from the actuator to be separate.

Upon further thought, the high beam can't be ground switched since the high beam and low beam share the same ground. The bulb has three terminals, two positive terminals and one ground terminal. One positive terminal is for the low beam. The other positive terminal is for the high beam. The third terminal is the shared ground for both.
I've been doing a lot of reading over at hidplanet.com and when I threw out the request for a harness, they ask if my system is positively switched or negatively switched. If I remember, it matters because when you hit the switch to go from high beam to low beam, or vice versa, the power to the headlights will be momentarily cut off. Depending on the way it is switched, they will design it appropriately. Again, I have to get all my notes and stuff back out before I go ahead and attempt this.

Nite_Hawk: I have seen a sleepy eye mod done on a white trans am and I thought it looked great and would help with the depth issue. I never got a lot of details about it but I would like to know more.

-Brian
Old 11-18-2007, 05:16 PM
Launching!

Nite_Hawk: I have seen a sleepy eye mod done on a white trans am and I thought it looked great and would help with the depth issue. I never got a lot of details about it but I would like to know more.

-Brian

I have the link some where in my bookmarks, I'll look for it and PM you. That is the car i based mine after.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:08 PM
TECH Addict

thanks for taking a look.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:43 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Bump.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would like to see that sleepy eye look as well