Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Projector Question

Old 01-08-2008, 01:41 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Projector Question

I switched the headlights in my TA to HIDs about a month ago using the Eurolamps housing w/ an H7 bulb. I wanted to look into projectors to give a more refined beam pattern. I have read the lighting faq and saw that many of the projectors use H9 bulbs. I was wondering if there was a projector that would fit the housing and uses H7 bulbs so I would not have to worry about switching the bulbs and ballasts. Thanks a lot for the help!
Old 01-08-2008, 08:44 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 140 Posts

What do you mean by "projector that would fit the housing"?

There are H7 projectors (my mother's 2004 Hyundai Sonata has some). Hella also makes some too and they are also available from the same place I bought my H9 projectors, but its more than double the price and its ECE instead of DOT (if that matters to you). There are other options too, but you'll have to do some digging. If I find anything, I'll post it.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:59 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by VIP1
What do you mean by "projector that would fit the housing"?

There are H7 projectors (my mother's 2004 Hyundai Sonata has some). Hella also makes some too and they are also available from the same place I bought my H9 projectors, but its more than double the price and its ECE instead of DOT (if that matters to you). There are other options too, but you'll have to do some digging. If I find anything, I'll post it.
All I ment by that was one that the screw holes to mount it would line up w/ the bracket on the headlight. I assumed from seeing people mounting the hellas that they would do this. Was I mistaken? I dont really care about the DOT/ECE to much, but the 2x price is more important to me. Thanks a lot for your help vip.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:39 AM

There are, but none are waterproof to my knowledge. The easiet is the Hella that uses the H9's.

If you want we can get you a new set of bulbs, instead of having to purchase a whole new kit. If you are interested shoot me a PM.
-Nathan
Old 01-08-2008, 11:54 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Originally Posted by DropTopBird
All I ment by that was one that the screw holes to mount it would line up w/ the bracket on the headlight. I assumed from seeing people mounting the hellas that they would do this. Was I mistaken?
I haven't seen any that mount up to existing holes. Every installation so far has been custom. You can see some installations in the Lighting FAQ. (in the Hall of Fame sticky and my sig)

Originally Posted by LS1_SS
none are waterproof to my knowledge.
I don't know of any H7 projectors that are waterproof either.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:18 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Originally Posted by VIP1
I don't know of any H7 projectors that are waterproof either.
Open mouth. Insert foot.

Hella makes a H7 version of their 90mm projector, but it costs more than double the price of the H9 version and its ECE instead of DOT (if that matters to you).

I contradicted myself....since I already said this in a previous post.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:52 PM
TECH Resident

Hmmm, looks like when I decide to upgrade I will prob have to order another set of bulbs unless something turns up. I have another question though. The kit Im using right now is an ebay kit. I know its not the best, but its what I can do with the budget. Anyway, I recently switched from 8oook to 6oook and only had to switch the bulbs, not the ballasts or anything else. I thought I read that different bulbs require a different ballasts. Is this true or am I just getting mixed up?
Old 01-09-2008, 11:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the Bosche housings and they're night/day difference in beam pattern with HIDs compared Eurolamps. Don't get me wrong they don't compare to the projectors, but they're worth the swap. The Bosche housings take H4 bulbs so I looked into swapping bulbs and price-wise I could get a set of bulbs for $50-$60 compared to $80 shipped for a whole new HID kit. You can guess what I went with. I also went from 8000K to 5000K while I was at it.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:20 PM
TECH Resident

Goin out on a limb here, but would you happen to have pics of the two different patterns? I was thinking that if I had to switch I would just buy a new kit and sell off the old ones. I did that when I went from 8000k (which looked more like 10,000k)to 6000k and only lost about $5 on the deal. Im really glad I made that move though, because those 8Ks didnt seem to put out any light.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I have pics of the different HIDs and housings, but none to really show the beam pattern. Here are the links even though...

Euro 8000K
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v3...Firehawk/HIDs/

Bosche 5000K
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ew5000KBosche/

Search this Thread