Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

waxing...

Old 01-14-2008, 03:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default waxing...

I ussually wax my cars about 1-2 times a month if possible, atleast during the summer and maybe once every two months during the winter...is there such a thing as waxing a vehicle too much or is is bad for the paint at all? Ive heard that a few times but i just kinda blew it off. What do you guys think?
Old 01-14-2008, 06:14 AM
TECH Addict

I don't know about bad for the paint. Wasting your money on wax maybe unless you a stripping it off each time.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wax my car 2 times a month, for the past two years. A full claybar multi stage detail like 2-3 times a year. And my car looks like it just steped out the showroom floor. So I do not see an issue unless you are using the wrong products or methods
Old 01-14-2008, 08:34 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The waxes today don't do what they use to in regards to ruining a paints finish, although there are still a few out there. What type of wax do you use?
Old 01-14-2008, 09:01 AM
TECH Addict

If you're using good products and the proper techniques, there's no harm in waxing that often. I wouldn't use cleaner waxes or abrasive polishes that often but pure waxes/sealants are fine.

The thing that will cause the most harm is improper washing and drying techniques and supplies.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ZaneO
If you're using good products and the proper techniques, there's no harm in waxing that often. I wouldn't use cleaner waxes or abrasive polishes that often but pure waxes/sealants are fine.

The thing that will cause the most harm is improper washing and drying techniques and supplies.

what he said.

make sure you are washing and drying correctly, and as long as you are using high quality products, you will be fine.

Good car wash soap, good lamb's wool mitt, two bucket method, Waffle weave micro fibers and a blower for drying, etc.
Old 01-14-2008, 03:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

I usually use meguires wax, ussually use the two bucket method and I also use that mothers back to black stuff occasionally for some of the trim. I didnt think I was doing any harm since everytime Im dont it looks brand spankin new but I just thought Id throw it out there. also sometimes I use mothers wax as well. whats the difference between cleaning waxes and just polishes?
Old 01-14-2008, 04:32 PM
FormerVendor

As long as you are not using an abrasive wax, there shouldn't be any problem. Check out the line of detailing products and tools we sell on our web site
Old 01-14-2008, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 'Trust'
The waxes today don't do what they use to in regards to ruining a paints finish, although there are still a few out there. What type of wax do you use?
I start off with a bucket full of meguiers car soap and a bit of dial dish soap to remove the old wax with a micro fiber car wash glove.

I rinse the car well and then wash it and scrub it down.

I rinse it of once more and then I dry it with very large terry cloth towels and then i drive it around the block once to get the water out from under the lights, locks, rear lights and door handles

I go over it drying every spot with a small towel and then I add a coat of Meguiers ScratchX to spots that need it

I then remove the scratchX with a microfiber towel. Then I add a nice coat of Meguiers Polish and remove it with a microfiber. Then I add a coat of Meguiers NXT 2.0 wax and remove it with a microfiber towel

After that I brush the rims and dry them, add meguiers All Wheel cleaner and rinse and dry them and then I use a scrub brush on the tires. I dry the tires of then use Meguiers Tire Gel and after that drys a bit I recoat it with Meguiers NXT Extreme Tire Shine (the spray kind). That combo leaves the best shine every time.

I then add Meguiers trim detailer on the plastic peices, such as the ram air grills and the plastic vent and winshield wipers. Also the trim around the t-tops and the center of t-tops, so it looks new.

Then I use INVISIBLE GLASS and a nice newspaper on the outside of the windows. I will never use a towel or windex on my cars outside windows. On the inside windows I use a terry cloth towel and INVISIBLE GLASS (because newspaper messes with window tint)

I then use mothers chrome polish on my silverline c5 clone exhaust tips.

I use Meguiers PLASTIX on my blinkers and the front light lenses.

I go over it once more with a terry cloth towel. and use a rubber tip pen to take out the wax from the little cracks.

Then on the Inside, I dust it witha micro fiber duster. I then go over it with Meguiers Detailing Wipes and then Meguers Gold leather wipes on the seats and steering wheel, and the shift **** and parts of the door. I vacuum and then use TURTLE WAX CARPET CLEANER on any carpet stains.

and during the time between waxes I use Meguiers Extreme Quick Detailer on her to keep her looking good.

Its like 3 hours of work, twice a month. but well worth it.

this is my car a week after one of its waxing.....at work I am the guy whose car is always clean.

notice the reflection of the VAC machine on the hood and the pavement reflection on the side of the car......I LOVE MEGUIERS products. hehe
Old 01-14-2008, 10:01 PM
TECH Resident

I would wax more often in the winter for protection. I reccomend waxing every two months at the very least. My truck gets waxed once every 3 weeks to a month.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

thats a cleanass T/A! well I ussually wash my truck if I see dust on it...but right now its sitting in a storage shed until I get back to TX, so Itll be back out on the road and hopefully a meet in Texas. I was just wondering if it could actually damage the paint.

what types of wax would you guys recommend?
Old 01-15-2008, 12:56 AM
TECH Resident

I use the 3 step Meguiar process once or twice every 2 months. I'd like to do it more often, but doesnt happen. If I dont get around to doing it twice a month, I will definitely wax it only the 2nd time. Makes my black paint look great!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: waxing...