Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Sharpe's Stock '99 Z28, Ground Effects, White, White Leather, M6

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 06:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sharpe's Stock '99 Z28, Ground Effects, White, White Leather, M6

I realize the stock ground effects package from GM is NOT popular on this site! No need to comment on the ground effects. Thanks.

I also know my car REALLY needs lowered! Give me $1,200 and I'll be happy to drop it!

And one more note: believe me, I know the headlights are foggy! This one you CAN bitch at me about, because it's my own damn fault for being so lazy that I've not polished them.

This is just a stock-ish, white 1999 Z28. It is a 113,000-mile daily-driver. It has the Sports Appearance Package (Y3F) and white leather from the factory.

The car has an MTI clear lid, LS6 intake, QTP long tube headers into a QTP (Flowmaster) off-road 'Y'-pipe with dual QTP e-cutouts and stock cat-back; Pro 5.0 shifter with Lou's Short Stick and a temporary **** (no lock-nut); and a SPEC 3 clutch with 2002 hydraulics. All mods have about 13,000 miles on them.

Now that the car is paid off, I plan to start doing more serious modifications.

As a daily driver, its seen a lot of road and a lot of abuse and neglect. I've driven it from Illinois to Florida and back. My seats are quite worn and the paint is fair at best. It has a chip on the front door where I opened it too hard and the wind took it. Honestly, I would rather have been punched in the stomach than had that happen (it sure felt like I was). Also, took her off-roading once and the ditch did some work to my front, passenger's side ground effect. But, I get complements all the time and I love her! She really puts a smile on my face. No real rattles or squeaks to mention. Runs like a dream.

This was a terrible day and time to take pictures. The color is way off on all the pics. It was dark, cloudy and sprinkling and there were all sorts of mud puddles on the way out of town so the car is filthy. It's cold and wet out side, but has been for more than a month. I know how to take better pictures, but I could only snap one or two at a time before a damn car would roll by and ask me if I needed a ride. With my camera in hand, bad-*** exhaust note car running, I would politely decline. Anyway, my apologies for the half-*** pics. I was cussing practically the whole time.

So, without further adieu:

This one (below) hurts for even me to look at. I wish my leather was in better condition.

These last two (below) show just how bad the color is off in all the pics. Neither is close to the right white.

Future Plans

I'm not planning on taking care of all the chips, cracks, scrap, and other blemishes with the paint for some time. My ultimate goal with the car is to put an SS hood on it with red Berger stripes. Then, I want to cover my seats with new white leather, but with red inserts.

First, appearance wise, I need to get Strano springs with all the fixings and ZR1's of Fiske FM5's, chrome and 11" in back.

However, before I start in with appearance, I need new heads at least. I broke a header bolt off into the stockers, now it blows a gasket every 10,000 miles or so. Of course, I don't want to buy just heads, but putting a head and a cam package on a 113,000-mile car isn't the smartest thing to do. So, that means I need a long-block.

I'll probably find a used LS2 longblock and swap it's cam. Then, I'll have T56 Rebuilds (sponsor) refurbish my tranny and I'll put a new SPEC 3+ clutch in while I'm at it. That should do me for a while until I can work up enough money to get a nine inch.

Thanks for reading!
Old 02-03-2008, 08:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice, i hate my white interior.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

i have white leather too, not a big fan of it, looking for some different seats.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:07 PM
TECH Resident

I like the ground effects!
Old 02-03-2008, 10:47 PM
TECH Veteran

If either of you guys have very nice seats, I might be willing to trade + cash or whatever. I love white leather.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:49 PM
12 Second Club

i sold my 00 z28 with the same ground effects, i love the look of them!
Old 02-03-2008, 10:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Guys, please. It's a free country and all, but I asked for no comment on the ground effects. There are plenty of threads about the Y3F option. Thanks.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

the white interior is badass. looks great with the shift ****. clean lookin car, definately has potential
Old 02-03-2008, 11:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

has alot of potential like was said above, just needs a little tlc. honestly i kinda like the white seats in that car too.

as far as the head goes, you dont have to get a new head. and honestly 113k miles isnt really too many miles for a stock shortblock. if it isnt burning oil, and you have used a good synthetic for most of it's life, i wouldnt worry a whole lot about the short block. you can get the head fixed for probly around a hundred bucks at a shop, just get them to ez-out the remaining bolt and put a new one in, problem solved. just something to think about.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:35 AM
TECH Veteran

Thanks for the complements! You're right. She does need some love'n, and now that she's all mine, that's what she'll get.

And Sunset, don't be trying to ruin my brain's justification with all your logic. Seriously, it's the very back bolt on the driver's side. Do you think they can get it out? Somebody told me they wouldn't be abl to reach it. Any advice would be appreciated, but I'm still going to blame buying an LS2 on this problem.

I forgot to mention that I'm pretty well certain that I'm going to turn down a screaming good deal on a really, really nice SS just because this car is perfect for me. If it were 1998 and I was standing at a dealership ordering my new Camaro just the way I wanted it right down to the last option, this car is exactly what I would have ordered to a 100% 'T'. 1999. Z28. M6. White. White leather. Y3F. T-tops. No traction control. Z-rated tires.

1999 is the year I graduated, and the year I fell in love with the fourth-gen Camaro. I wouldn't want a 2001 or 2002 because those years don't mean anything to me. 1999 was a great year, and as long as I have this car, it's still '99!
Old 02-04-2008, 01:17 AM
Teching In

Get a lower and new rims and you should be good
Heres a pic of my homie's car, 2000 z28 lowered with RS kit like you, tinted tail lights, c5 z06 motorsports 18", and HAD tint until he got a ticket for it
only pic i got sry, and is at the place he usually is at haha
Old 02-04-2008, 01:45 AM
TECH Veteran

Looks pretty clean, and has potential to look great......
Old 02-04-2008, 01:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

hell man even if they have to take the head off wouldnt you rather get the problem fixed now and worry about the ls2 later? not like you're going to be out a whole lot of money in parts lol
Old 02-04-2008, 02:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

i really dig the car. all fo those options it has fit the car very well.

Also, took her off-roading once and the ditch did some work to my front, passenger's side ground effect.
WTF! off roading? poor car.

I personally would make it perfect before doing more performance mods, but then again, its your car, you can do what you want.
Old 02-04-2008, 02:58 AM
Launching!

Default that's how this one used to look exactly!

Old 02-04-2008, 03:16 AM
TECH Addict

White leather is awesome. Is that hard to keep clean?
Old 02-04-2008, 06:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

dude just take the fkking head off. its not hard. send it to the machine shop and they can fix it up...place i went to did it for 15 bucks beats having to do gaskets ever couple of months
Old 02-04-2008, 09:58 AM
TECH Veteran

If I take that head off, I'm telling you right now it's not the one going back on the car. Box-stock LS2 heads are pretty damn cheap. There's also the parts forum...
Old 02-04-2008, 01:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharpe
If I take that head off, I'm telling you right now it's not the one going back on the car. Box-stock LS2 heads are pretty damn cheap. There's also the parts forum...
MY LOGIC EXACTLY, i broke a valve cover bolt and it would have cost me a couple of bucks to get it fixed, but a call to TSP later....

-$4000
Old 02-04-2008, 01:18 PM
TECH Regular

Love the Z, Mine is the same 1999, Y3F, M6, Arctic White, no t/c but I had graphite cloth now has ebony leather interior. I love the white leather. How is it to keep clean?

Quick Reply: Sharpe's Stock '99 Z28, Ground Effects, White, White Leather, M6