Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Glowing Nose Bird Mod (my way!)

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 11:14 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Glowing Nose Bird Mod (my way!)

One day I was sittin here at my comp and it donned on me that I have never seen or heard of anyone doing the "glowing nose bird" mod. Then some said to check certain forums and I did. Tho I saw some ways of doing this mod I never saw any good write ups for those of us who scrape by on pocket change every now and again. So here is my write up and how I did everything for the "Glowing bird mod" Keep in mind this write up will not be complete right off the bat. I will be adding more pics as I go through the process. Sorry for the crappy pics. Po' Boy with a cell phone. Lets begin.

Step 1:
If you have one great. If not then your first step will be to get ahold of one of these. a Clear Nose Bird Filler. This will run you about $50 to $60 bucks give or take from vairous distributors.

Step 2:
Paint masking Vinyl is much more adheasive than tape in my opinion. I went down to the local flea market where there is a vinyl shop I know of. You only need a peice about 12" x 9". I cut mine in half at an angle so if I messed up the first one I have a 2nd piece to fall back on. Ran me bout $10.

Step 3:
Get yourself a lamp or a bright light of some sort. I used a 120V desk lamp due to I wanted BRIGHT light for this. Place the light on the floor beteen your knees. Yeah, sounds stupid but read on! Place the Clear Nose Filler on your knees above the light as shown.

Step 4:
Place your Vinyl over the Clear Nose Filler. Make sure to press firmly on the Vinyl to keep your outline nice and tight and uniform. I taped my Vinyl down to help keep it in place while I outlined.
You will see your low points (RED ARROWS) of the raised bird through the Vinyl.

You will also see your high points High Points (GREEN ARROWS) of the raised bird through the Vinyl.

Do NOT make the high points your outline unless your just wanting it as a overlay. The way we are doing it is to cut on the low points to let the Vinyl lay down around the beveled edges. If you cut it to small then when you go to paint the Clear Nose Filler, the Paint will be over the top of the raised bird and not just around the bottom of it.

Step 5:

After taking your time tracing out your low point lines you should have something that looks like this! I found out its easier to use a sharpie marker or something of that nature. you can see my small mess up when I tried to use a pen.

Step 6:
Make sure your beveled edges are covered. Keep in mind you can always trim excess off the pieces once you cut them out to be placed on before painting wit an exacto knife.

From here is where I will be waiting a few weeks to gather a bit of cash to get my paints. I dont see a point in painting this Filler the same color the car is now if I will be changing to a brighter red before summer hits. I will upload more pics to this post once things get rolling again! I hope this will help some of you who are going to be doing this mod, I wish someone had somethin like this when I did it.

Last edited by Creed420; 02-17-2008 at 06:22 AM.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

im liking the way this is going....to bad i don't have a firebird
Old 02-17-2008, 01:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are you going to be using to light it up? I used LEDs. Here's an idea to help ya out:

Old 02-17-2008, 04:18 AM
TECH Addict

good luck on finishing it, its gonna look sweet when its done.
Old 02-17-2008, 05:59 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
im liking the way this is going....to bad i don't have a firebird
quoted for truth......and not the first time ive heard this
Old 02-17-2008, 06:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow. This is going to be as cheesy as it is cool. I love paradoxes. Subscribing.
Old 02-17-2008, 06:18 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Brian2006
What are you going to be using to light it up? I used LEDs.
I had thought about going the LED route but honestly I know nothing about the resistors vs LED wattage. I made a post about it a few weeks ago in another thread, got no replies back about it and even sent emails asking someone on how to understand it. Got no replies from the email, so I said **** it, and started doing it my way. Now if your willin to help me understand how to do this resistor vs LED thing Then that is always a possiblity.

Sooo I figure I may end up going with 2 3" neons. one along the top and one along the bottom. should be plenty of light. I kinda like the LED set up but then again I dont. I dont like my bulbs/neons to be seen. If I used LED's then the bulbs will be seen through the clear plastic when lit at night and thats kinda defeating the purpose of this set up Im going for. As of right now 99% of my neons are hidden, this will be my 14th red neon/light on this car despite the dash already lights up red. Im tryin to keep that same concept with this mod.

Last edited by Creed420; 02-17-2008 at 06:25 AM.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Creed420
I had thought about going the LED route but honestly I know nothing about the resistors vs LED wattage. I made a post about it a few weeks ago in another thread, got no replies back about it and even sent emails asking someone on how to understand it. Got no replies from the email, so I said **** it, and started doing it my way. Now if your willin to help me understand how to do this resistor vs LED thing Then that is always a possiblity.

Sooo I figure I may end up going with 2 3" neons. one along the top and one along the bottom. should be plenty of light. I kinda like the LED set up but then again I dont. I dont like my bulbs/neons to be seen. If I used LED's then the bulbs will be seen through the clear plastic when lit at night and thats kinda defeating the purpose of this set up Im going for. As of right now 99% of my neons are hidden, this will be my 14th red neon/light on this car despite the dash already lights up red. Im tryin to keep that same concept with this mod.
How do you figure you will see the LEDs thru the clear plastic at night? If you take a look at the board I did I grinded the heads down for wide viewing angle. Eliminating hot spots.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

This should help for LED resistor calculations and such
http://ledcalc.com/
Old 02-18-2008, 12:21 AM
Restricted User

damn, that LED setup is nice Brian. Do you have another TA aside from your camaro?
Old 02-18-2008, 08:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by socmguy
damn, that LED setup is nice Brian. Do you have another TA aside from your camaro?
Nope. Just one of the things I do for fun
Old 02-18-2008, 08:30 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Creed420
One day I was sittin here at my comp and it donned on me that I have never seen or heard of anyone doing the "glowing nose bird" mod. Then some said to check certain forums and I did. Tho I saw some ways of doing this mod I never saw any good write ups for those of us who scrape by on pocket change every now and again.
Here is one that is fairly cheap.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...t=#post4812731
Old 02-18-2008, 10:45 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by socmguy

Sorry Brian2006 but if only I hadn't spun and stacked a fewe rod bearings
Old 02-18-2008, 12:51 PM
Launching!

wow that looks like a cool project
Old 02-18-2008, 12:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

why do u have to use those little LED lights. couldnt ya just use a bulb like a headlight bulb? it just needs to be lighted up.
Old 02-18-2008, 01:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JumpInTheFire.com
why do u have to use those little LED lights. couldnt ya just use a bulb like a headlight bulb? it just needs to be lighted up.
That wouldn't be possible if you were trying to go with dual colors. It wouldn't be as precise with LEDs. Not to mention the low power consumption of LEDs and the life longevity over normal bulbs. It also wouldn't be as bright without hotspots.
Old 02-18-2008, 01:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BURN'EM
This is the way I was going to suggest if you don't have any experience with LEDs. Cold cathodes are great for this type of project only thing is you won't be able to light up the bird two different colors.
Old 02-18-2008, 01:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man Brian I still can't wait to see that sucker in person!
Old 02-18-2008, 02:14 PM
TECH Junkie

More pics
Old 06-09-2008, 09:18 PM
TECH Junkie

any updates on this?

I have the clear plate, the perf board, the LED's... just have no clue on how to wire the LED's, and I'm still a little fuzzy on the masking/painting process of the plate...

check out this setup...
http://www.ls2.com/forums/showthread...plate+light+up

Quick Reply: Glowing Nose Bird Mod (my way!)