Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Windshield Gauge Mounting

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 09:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Windshield Gauge Mounting

So... after surveying the gauge mounting scene for us camaros I have decided that I am not happy with any of our solutions:

Gauge pod... although usefull, its too ricey in my opinion (but I could see myself going that way if all is lost).

shifter cubby hole... sweet, and i may use it for something like a wideband, but its pretty far down away from the road.

I thought about the idea of using one of the 5.0 gauge cages in the A/C vents (the one with the vents), but that might require some fabbing.

SO then I thought about the windshield... there seems to be enough room to hide the wires in the headliner, and maybe enough room to do some kind of mounting kind of like the mirror uses (glue) with a gauge panel like this one: http://autometer.com/cat_mountsdetai...50&mid=10&pg=0

If not there, then I was thinkin about doing them on the inside of the A pillar... where you cant see them from the road.

Comments Please
Old 02-23-2008, 09:54 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would stick with the pillar side. Otherwise you'll have to look away to see your gauges. They need to be located somewhere you can easily see them without actually turning you head. Thats just my opinion though.
Old 02-23-2008, 12:19 PM
TECH Addict

well, assuming that there is enough room to mount them above the rear mirror - there shouldnt be any head turning or even much eye moving... after all its pretty much in the exact location as the rear view mirror, and I dont have to do too much other than just looking there to see it.

Do yall know what I mean about on the A pillar? Not on the front of it like the pillar kits put them, but rather on the side so that they would be concealed from the road and maybe even from people looking in the window.
Old 02-23-2008, 01:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW....Gauge pods are RICE? LMFAO
Old 02-23-2008, 06:14 PM
TECH Addict

I call 'em like I see 'em.
Old 02-23-2008, 07:43 PM
11 Second Club

How is a pillar pod rice?
Old 02-23-2008, 07:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't like the pillar pods either. I had them in my old car but it was annoying and I always felt the gauges were just in my face too much. I thought about mounting the gauge on the glass or making a bracket but the extreme rake of the windshield killed that idea for me. On my current car I mounted the trans temp gauge super low on the pillar tucked up actually on top of the dash. I don't have any good pics but you can just see the pod in the corner through the windshield in this pic.

http://home.comcast.net/~pewter_camaro/Da_z_47.jpg

It tucked up out of the way pretty nice and if I want to hide it better I just toss a hat over it and have the gauge face visible under the brim of the hat..
Old 02-24-2008, 01:53 AM
TECH Addict

Thats kinda what I'm talkin about on the gauge way down in the corner. Cool.

How is it rice? Well, it just seems like every honda civic, STI, and Eclipse in the world has them... and usually filled with gauges that are already in the dash... like voltage and coolant temp (but then why run them up the A-pillar and display to every window peeker that you DONT have a turbo) . To me, the A pillar gauge goes right along with the 25,000 RPM tach and mayonaise lid sized shift light... the stock gauges were working fine, especially since the engine red lined at 6000 rpm and the stock tach went to 8k. If you like A-pillar gauges then awesome. I wish I did so I could quit worrying about new places to put gauges.

In my home town I swear people would buy an entry-level blower kit for their fox body FOR THE SOLE PURPOSE OF sporting a boost gauge, a/f light show, and fuel pressure gauge in the A-Pillar so that all the world could see them and tell what they had goin on.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Outside hood mounting??

Im right where your at with the gauge (**** u ation) too!! Im actually thinking of running the fuel on the out side on hood like I did to my 87 buick GN,But I always liked the fuel and boost gauges together ,so maybe Ill see what 2 on the outside would look like ?Anyone one got em on the outside?? PICTS?
Old 02-24-2008, 09:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the only time gauges are rice is when those honda people put a volt, clock, and huge tach with 0 mods lol

Quick Reply: Windshield Gauge Mounting