Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Detailing help

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 02:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Detailing help

Hoping some of the detail experts here can help me.. I have a black z and whenever i wax it i get mad swirls. I was wondering if any of you that have black cars could post up detailed steps and products you use to get the black looking smooth and glossy.
Old 03-09-2008, 03:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

What type of applicator are you using to apply the wax? A nice microfiber applicator will not scratch or swirl the paint. A Porter Cable buffer with swirl remover will most likely get rid of the swirls. Also if you wash in long strokes, along the panel lines and not in circles, that will help with the swirls. I use the PC on black all the time with no problems.
Attached Thumbnails Detailing help-tech1.jpg   Detailing help-tech2.jpg  
Old 03-09-2008, 04:07 PM
Staging Lane

what i usually do is just fill a bucket with water and some kind of car washing liquid (depending on what i have at the time). i wash the car with a microfiber sponge and then dry by padding down with a beach towel. i then apply wax with a microfiber towel by hand.
Old 03-09-2008, 05:47 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wash my car with a grit guard in the bucket and always wipe the sponge across the guard after washing each panel on the car. I use my blower to blow the water off, then go over it with a microfiber towel and detail spray to get the rest of the water off.

I use Adam's Polishes, I used Zaino before but like Adam's selection and results better. Definitely try their Brilliant Spray Glaze, it's an awesome product (especially on black paint and chrome). Their microfiber towels are very soft too, check out their detailing videos on their website.
Old 03-09-2008, 07:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

I use Meguiar's products. I detailed a Corvette not to long ago that had a lot of swirls in the whole car. Meguiars is not too expensive. First go round, I used the #82 which is a polish and swirl remover and then I finished with a NXT sealer.

Before

After

He brought it back to me for another detail and I went a little deeper. I used the #83, #82, and the NXT. All of this was done with a proter cable DA and #8006 and #9006 pads.

Old 03-09-2008, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

I used mothers 3 step wax system on my sisters black zo6 tho it didnt have bad swirls but very bad water spots. I also used micro fiber pads to apply and micro fiber bonnets on the buffer to remove. I just took more updated pics of a full detail of the vette over the weekend. I'll post those later.

Old 03-09-2008, 08:48 PM
TECH Addict

swirls in that z06 suck. ive had fun with cars like that. i did a black camaro that was way worse then that and did a complete buff job with all 3m products and finished it off with pinnacles souveran wax.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:28 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by hedsNcam88
what i usually do is just fill a bucket with water and some kind of car washing liquid (depending on what i have at the time). i wash the car with a microfiber sponge and then dry by padding down with a beach towel. i then apply wax with a microfiber towel by hand.
To me it sounds like you aren't trying it the right way. Look into some better towels, and I can't stress enough how important it is to use clean microfibers. Look into some Meguiars Waffle Towels for drying, they work well.

Fast_94_Z,
how did you like the souveran? I have a brand new box sitting in my room waiting to be used. I won't use untill the weather is nice and I can take my Camaro out of storage.
Old 03-10-2008, 04:08 AM
TECH Addict

I would get it buffed and then make some changes in the way you wash the car. Make sure you are using a good micro fiber wash mit and like has been said do not use a circular motion when washing, use a long wiping motion. Also make sure you keep a good coat of wax on it and always use micro fiber when waxing. Which brand you choose is completely up to you. I personally use Meguiars.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

The black vettes look good now. Nice work
Old 03-10-2008, 08:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by hedsNcam88

I am not a big fan of microfiber sponges. I don't like that they tend to have a short nap, and that means the dirt you wipe off has a better chance of finding its way against the paint surface, causing swirls. Instead, I prefer lamb's wool mitts. Eurow makes a good one, and they're available pretty much anywhere.

Also, I prefer the two bucket method. Fill one bucket with soapy water, fill the other with clean. After each panel, submerge the mitt in the clean water and vigorously run your hand over it, to dislodge any dirt. This way, you're always putting a clean mitt in the soapy water, then putting clean soapy water against the car.

Something else you could do is get a foam gun. This gets the soap really "sudsy", and coats the surface of the vehicle with lots of soapy water. This way, when you drag the mitt across the surface, there's less chance of swirls.

As for wax, I still find foam applicators work best. Microfiber is great for drying and buffing, but for application, I get better results with foam pads. By the time you're applying wax, the surface should be clean and smooth.

-Mike
Old 03-10-2008, 06:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chupr0kabra
I am not a big fan of microfiber sponges. I don't like that they tend to have a short nap, and that means the dirt you wipe off has a better chance of finding its way against the paint surface, causing swirls. Instead, I prefer lamb's wool mitts. Eurow makes a good one, and they're available pretty much anywhere.

Also, I prefer the two bucket method. Fill one bucket with soapy water, fill the other with clean. After each panel, submerge the mitt in the clean water and vigorously run your hand over it, to dislodge any dirt. This way, you're always putting a clean mitt in the soapy water, then putting clean soapy water against the car.

Something else you could do is get a foam gun. This gets the soap really "sudsy", and coats the surface of the vehicle with lots of soapy water. This way, when you drag the mitt across the surface, there's less chance of swirls.

As for wax, I still find foam applicators work best. Microfiber is great for drying and buffing, but for application, I get better results with foam pads. By the time you're applying wax, the surface should be clean and smooth.

-Mike
I been using a microfiber sponge for years and its been nothing but the best and all you need to do is make sure that its clean just like every other sponge on the market.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Uh, where did my posts go?
Old 03-10-2008, 10:25 PM
Staging Lane

thanks guys, really appreciate the feedback. should i invest in a buffer wheel/drill? it seems as if those would make things alot easier and faster. if so, what buffer should i go with and what do i use it for. waxing? polishing? thanks
Old 03-11-2008, 08:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

A buffer would be a great investment. The Porter Cable is very user friendly. You can use it to apply polish/wax and remove the product. It is also great for swirls and light scratches. I sent you a PM on a buffer package.