Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

painting interior:good or bad idea??

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2003, 03:42 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default painting interior:good or bad idea??

i have a 99 grand am gt and i painted a few of my interior trim pieces and it gave my interior a really good look, my question is do u guys think it would be a good idea to paint the interior on my trans am or not???cuz i've thought about it for a while and i really dont wanna do something stupid to my nice car. all comments are welcome.
Old 07-22-2003, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: painting interior:good or bad idea??

NO! Paint cracks, peels, runs, "orange peels" etc etc etc if not done perfectly. Besides, the surface that you would be painting would be extremely hard to prep. IMO, it looks good as it is and I wouldn't paint it.
Old 07-22-2003, 09:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think painting the interior is a great mod, as long as it's done tastefully.
Then again, this coming from a guy that has painted his interior.
Old 07-22-2003, 11:53 PM
TECH Regular

can u get some pics of ur painted interior, curious to see how it turned out.
my grand am has been painted almost 6 months and no peeling or cracking, most ppl say its hard to do but i found it to be really easy...a secret for prep is to wip it down with rubbing alchohol, then just do a ton of light coats of paint...
Old 07-23-2003, 12:21 AM
BMW ///M Nerd

I say don't paint it. The only time that I actually liked a painted interior on one our cars was on a SOM Camaro. But the Camaro's dash layout is different then the TA's. I hate how it looks painted because you have to paint to much to do it. For instance the plastic surrounding around the dash gauges, looks horrible painted, because it wraps around all the way to the top of the dash, rather than just surrounding the gauge cluster.

Josh99TA painted his interior red to match the exterior of his car, he ending up either replacing all the pieces for stock, or painting them black if I recall. Instead of painting it, get a set of silver or white gauges to spice up the interior, get some pedals, a shift **** and MBA even offers aluminum plating to accent the dash. It does cost more than a few cans of paint and primer but it looks much better and is subtle.
Old 07-23-2003, 03:21 PM
TECH Veteran

I did mine, but seriously regretted it soon thereafter. If you can get a cheap replacement set, to experiment, go for it. Otherwise, don't mess with it. Here are a few pics of mine. It turned out great, but I got very sick of it after a couple days.

Old 07-23-2003, 03:23 PM
TECH Veteran

I recently sent those same pieces off to get coated in real red carbon fiber. Now that should look badass. You should think about something like that.
Old 07-23-2003, 03:50 PM
Humanitarian

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hate to say it but I always thought painting the interior was wicked tacky, over done and left to the ricers, it just plain out looks ghetto as hell.

If you don't dress a camaro nice it quickly turns in a "joe dirt" car.
Old 07-23-2003, 04:35 PM
Launching!

I say go for it. Just don't go overboard. I did all of my dash panels and I'm always getting compliments on how good it looks. I just used regular old spray paint. It really livens up the interior.
Old 07-24-2003, 12:29 AM
TECH Addict

Here's a pic of my painted interior.
I like how the NBM is subtle on the dash.
Old 07-24-2003, 08:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.vizualsoft.com/lee/tower1/PIC00006.JPG

Lee
Old 07-24-2003, 08:59 AM
Launching!

i wouldn't paint it.. jmo
Old 07-24-2003, 10:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

I would do it, the stock interior looks to plain and boring. Heres a picture of my interior painted with a custom color my friend mixed for me. Not very clear pictures

I just wouldnt do a gloss paint in the interior but thats just me.
Old 07-25-2003, 02:21 PM
Teching In

Here's a pic of my painted interior.
I like how the NBM is subtle on the dash.
i have a nbm with silver stripes and also like the sublte stuff, what color did you use and what type of paint? thanks
Old 07-25-2003, 02:34 PM
Staging Lane

Paint it just take wour time and do it right. I did my cameleon and it looks good as ****!!!
Old 07-25-2003, 06:32 PM
Launching!

if done right nice!,but unless you plan to spend some time and labor dont do it. spary paint is a big no!it will look like ****. i wouldnt paint the gauge benzel or pillars it can be to much.the best way to do it is to thourghly scrub all the pieces with scotch brite pads and 409 or simular cleaner to remove all oil,armor all,dirt etc.blow dry with compressed air.then start sanding by hand! with 180,prime it then sand again with 220 prime it then wetsand.make sure you get all nooks and crannies.then paint and clear. use good materals,same as if it were the outside of your car.spray the primer,paint and clear with a real paint,body gun,perferrably in a booth to keep trash,bugs out.this is how i did mine and they came out flawless you cant tell the differance in them and the paint on the outside of my car.ive had them done for almost 2 years and dont have a single crack or imperfection.you would think they were fiberglass or metal pieces to start with.i lot of people think this mod is tacky or ricer,but if done right it can really look good and give a custom look.some high end shops such as 310 motoring and west coast customs charge upwards of 800$ to do this in high dollar rides.anyway i dont have pics of mine but will post as soon as i get some. willispeed
Old 07-25-2003, 10:33 PM
TECH Addict

i have a nbm with silver stripes and also like the sublte stuff, what color did you use and what type of paint? thanks
I used Navy Blue Metallic paint from Duplicolor... can number GM505
Old 07-25-2003, 11:16 PM
TECH Veteran

yes....its a really nice mod....

BUT....I would only use automotive paint (aka: the exterior of the car).....I have been down the "spray paint" road and the results were not good (flaked, pealed, was not very strong, etc...)....

I talked to the top paint guy in the dealership's body shop where I bought my car and he told me to give him whatever parts I want painted, and when he paints a car that is the color I want (i.e. Pewter...the color of my car) he just sticks them in the booth and sprays them also....

this way they get the "factory" color and they get the exterior clear coat.....

the first run of parts (did the left and right vent holder, the upper part of the center console, the piece around the gauge cluster,and the part around radio) cost $20 for all.....

I still want to do the piece behind the door handle and the speaker grills....so he said that will be another $20.....

the parts that are already painted have over a year on them (into their 2nd AZ summer) and have no signs of pealing...
Old 07-25-2003, 11:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

If done right with primer and sand paper and the "RIGHT" paint and the "RIGHT" clear coat, it would look bad ***
Old 07-27-2003, 09:00 AM
11 Second Club

First off sorry it's not a better pic. Believe it or not I never even thought of getting better ones when I was home. Anyway, as you MIGHT be able to see I did my pieces black because with my color interior it's VERY subtle and actually doesn't look too far off of stock (other than the glossy-ness) I painted quite a bit: center console, radio trim plate, push button for console lid, guage housing, speaker grills, seatbelt loops, and the trim pieces around the door handle and window controls. I think it's a great mod if you can do it in a subtle way that won't make you go blind. As far is peeling and whatnot, do it right and you'll be fine (primer, many coats paint, many coats clear) Only difference for me now is that I can't use Armor-All anymore, just clean it like you'd clean your paint (haven't waxed pieces yet although I think I will)

Quick Reply: painting interior:good or bad idea??