Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Rear hatch tint

Old 03-14-2008, 12:55 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear hatch tint

I've heard that some tint shops have a problem with getting the tint smooth over the dot matrix at the top of the rear glass. To avoid the bubbles I know some guys try and scrape the dots off, some lay down a strip of vinyl, while others paint over it. I think I'm going to go the paint route.

My question is to those that have done this, did you leave the hatch on and tape around and lay down a ton of plastic, or did you take the hatch off? If so, how hard is it to take the whole hatch off? Two person job?

TIA
-RYAN
Old 03-14-2008, 01:22 PM
Launching!

Never taken it off before, but I'm pretty sure it's a two person job. On my old thirdgen I had to replace the gas shocks to keep the hatch open. I had to disconnect those to put the new ones on. It was definitely one heavy B. I would definitely get help
Old 03-14-2008, 03:14 PM
TECH Regular

the tint shop did my hatch window fine....?
Old 03-14-2008, 05:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Mine looks good...am getting darker...gonna get a section of tint to go over that section and then have the darker tint applied...
Old 03-14-2008, 05:22 PM
TECH Addict

i've heard some tint places will apply some type of glue to help adhesion, mine didnt and it looked like crap. so id ask and if not, i would go the paint route, i think laying lots of plastic might be easier and faster than removing the hatch though.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:29 PM
12 Second Club

To pull the hatch you want to disconnect the hatch struts first and set the hatch closed. Then you need to remove the rear dome light, pull down the headliner so you can get to the 4 13mm nuts holding the hinges on the car. You also need to reach inside farther and unbolt the 10mm bolt that is the ground wire for the hatch. Disconnect the wiring plug near the ground wire. Then get someone to help you lift the hatch off. You can pick it up by yourself but it's a bitch to get on and off the car because it's so big and bulky. You might chance throwing off the alignment once you remove the hatch. I swapped hatches on my V6 a few weeks ago to add a hatch that had defrost and I'm still not happy with the alignment of it.
Old 03-15-2008, 04:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

GET VINYL!!!

Search this Thread