Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Spoiler Design

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 06:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spoiler Design

Can anyone tell me if the spoiler on the 4th generation Trans Am's was actually functional or just for looks?
Old 03-17-2008, 02:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've heard that the base Firebird/Formula spoiler is more functional than the T/A. But I have no sources of reference for that, just read it on one of these forums somewhere.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blindxeyed
I've heard that the base Firebird/Formula spoiler is more functional than the T/A. But I have no sources of reference for that, just read it on one of these forums somewhere.
Same here! I just read that a few days ago in the thread of the TA guy putting the RKSport 3-piece Camaro spoiler on his car..
Old 03-17-2008, 08:35 AM
TECH Junkie

the ORR guys seem to think the T/A spoiler gives it some stability at high speed. not much downforce. they should know better than most goin 150+ for extended periods
Old 03-17-2008, 12:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I took an aviation class back in middle school and if you look at the T/As high spoiler it looks similar but not exact to a airplanes wing. The top of the spoiler has a rounded effect and the bottom is flat like a wing ( attached image). So in theory the T/As "spoiler" more like a wing is creating lift and not downforce like it should. So my opinion would be no its not functional, its just for looks. The only TA spoiler that i have seen and looks to be functional is the mecham one. Now its not creating enough to even feel a difference. Also the car cant go fast enough or the wing to creat enough lift for it to even do anything. Now i could be wrong on this whole opinion of my mine, but it makes sense in my head, and i feel smart.
Attached Thumbnails Spoiler Design-flight-inset-airfoil-lg.jpg  
Old 03-17-2008, 01:22 PM
TECH Junkie

lookin at mine, its almost a flipped wing. the top is more flat, witht he bottom curved.
Old 03-18-2008, 03:21 AM
Banned

yeah it's def upside down to an airplane, but i read if a spoiler is too close to the body (considering there is a space) then the air flow through that space ruins the effect of the wings design and may actually cause drag. no clue on if that is a concern with the TA wing tho

Last edited by toslo5o; 03-18-2008 at 03:26 AM.

Quick Reply: Spoiler Design