Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Aftermarket Seat guys

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 07:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Aftermarket Seat guys

I just purchased a set of Corbeau seats with harnesses for my 00 Formula. But I was curious what most guys do with the stock front seat belts? For one, I don't want the annoying light on the dash on all the time because I don't have my stock seat belt hooked up. I think the light turns off in my car after a while, but I haven't driven it for a while, so I don't remember.

Second, what would I do about the belt that goes into the roof of the car? I don't want to just keep it hanging there, and I don't want to just cut the belt. I thought about just leaving the belts in the stock location, while just using the Corbeau Harness. Then, maybe buying the male end of the stock buckle to put it in the receiver, so I don't have to worry about the dummy light in the dash.

Anyways, any ideas would be great. Thanks.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most states will ticket you if you dont have your STD seat belts in your car.

More ovre most states will ticket you for using a harnes Vs std seat belts
Old 03-16-2008, 09:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BitViper
Most states will ticket you if you dont have your STD seat belts in your car.

More ovre most states will ticket you for using a harnes Vs std seat belts
Yeah, I was thinking if it was going to be legal to use the harness over the seat belts. Well, I'll just keep the stock belts in the car, and use the harnesses when I'm at the track.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:07 PM
Teching In

Interesting that something that is designed to be safer is grounds for a ticket.
Old 03-16-2008, 11:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

corbeau's are nice
Old 03-16-2008, 11:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Dave2_01SS
Interesting that something that is designed to be safer is grounds for a ticket.
Yeah that seems pretty stupid. Is it becuase it's not a factory installed safety device?
Old 03-16-2008, 11:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Navy01Z
Yeah that seems pretty stupid. Is it becuase it's not a factory installed safety device?
That and the fact that many people don't put the new harnesses in the way that your supposed to would be my guess.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jdroelle001
That and the fact that many people don't put the new harnesses in the way that your supposed to would be my guess.
See that's the lame thing. I have my harnesses installed in the same locations as the stock seat belts, then they wrap around to the back to a bracket intended for harnesses.

I do understand why it could be illegal. As I'm sure there are many people out there that would cheap out and not properly install the harnesses. My safety is much more important then a few bucks or time. Brakes and safety items are something that should never be overlooked when building a car for the track.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:12 PM
FormerVendor

I cant believe its legal to have nitrous oxide bottles (unconnected) in your car, but not have safety harnesses. I have a six point roll bar with 5 point 3 inch harnesses. If a cop ever tried to give me a ticket all i could think of saying is, are you f*cking serious, look at me, i cant move far enough to change the radio station.

I cut the seat belt since you cant remove the entire mechanism. I hated to do that since i knew someone else could probably use them, but i couldnt think of another way to hold up the headliner
Old 03-18-2008, 03:45 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very simple fixes...

1) Remove the entire seatbelt setup (it unbolts). Headliner won't sag unless it is old. If it does sag, add a couple of plastic pushpins (like the one in the center) to it.

2) Cut the wires that would plug into the seatbelt, strip them, twist them together, and tape them off (in other words connect them).

All your problems are solve
Old 03-18-2008, 08:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you check out some of the web sites of the harness manufacturers they explain why you shouldn't use one without a helmet and roll bar. The stock belts are designed to allow your body to move out of the way in a roll-over. A harness set-up won't let you move. Without a proper roll bar, helmet and harness set-up, you'd be in trouble. I just installed my harness under the stock belts and used whichever I needed at the time.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The seatbelt light turns off after a few minutes.

CW00BlackTA, good advice