Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Could engine heat cause paint issue?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 08:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Could engine heat cause paint issue?

I have a car that was repainted in victory red and i noticed the other day that they hood had some almost dent-like spots that looked like almost bubbling due to heat in combination with dents. Am I just seeing things, or could the heat from the engine do this to the pain or the hood?
Old 03-25-2008, 09:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

?????
Old 03-25-2008, 10:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the hood insulation piece removed underneath your hood? I still can't see the hood getting hurt from engine heat? I run mine without the insulation piece and have had no problems in fact I go to shows and have had my hood painted and clear coated under my hood and noticed no problems.

Can you actually feel the spots? Wonder if it's from the heat of the Sun or engine curing the paint on the hood? Some say it takes a few weeks for the paint to cure good and it may be the urethanes bubbling up through the clear coat? See what others say. Post this thread in the paint section for an answer.

Last edited by 95TAGary; 03-25-2008 at 10:47 AM.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

yea ive got no insulation man, but yea i didn't think it could cause that to happen. the car was painted a long time ago...like 2 years. so that shouldnt be it. its cold as ***** here so heat from sun wouldn't be it. ill post it in the paint section. thanks though.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My ss never came with hood insulation. I think its more for sound deadening.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

I painted the underside of my hood w/out insulation and drove it to work 2 hours later. It was fine.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:21 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LT1Formula26
I have a car that was repainted in victory red and i noticed the other day that they hood had some almost dent-like spots that looked like almost bubbling due to heat in combination with dents. Am I just seeing things, or could the heat from the engine do this to the pain or the hood?
sounds like fish-eyeing. Little bumps that look like tiny pin size air bubbles? That happened to my hood when I got it painted as well, its not from the heat because most fiberglass hoods from what I was told never even came with that insulation. Fish eyeing happens because the paint had something on it when it was painted, like they didnt clean it completely or they didnt sand it down properly. I would say it needs to be repainted, haven't heard of any other way to remoove fish eyes.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

the spots are way bigger than that though...i think it was just a poor job

Quick Reply: Could engine heat cause paint issue?