Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

BLACK paint...a love/hate relationship

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2003, 01:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BLACK paint...a love/hate relationship

lets talk black paint!!! I have a black 2000 Camaro SS...and every dam week there is always something new added to the already pain in the *** paint...such as SWIRL MARKS!!! some tree sap in 2 spots! etc...the sun is black's enemy and even in the shade these days, its really starting to **** me off...ne one else out there share my feelings...oh yeah, and one more thing, how the hell does a black car get treated at car shows...ne different? are the judges more lenient...do they take off points for swirl marks??? sorry, just had to vent after dealing with this fuc*in paint for 3 years...but hey...its still a bad *** SS...and is in mint condition...I'm just a perfectionist...what are ur views???
Old 07-26-2003, 02:05 PM
TECH Regular

Default Re: BLACK paint...a love/hate relationship

Ask Todd2001SS about showing a black car...
http://groups.msn.com/Camaro2001SS/ssshow.msnw
I think the key is for it NOT to be your everyday driver.
Rock chips are terrible on black cars too. But man, when you just finish waxing a black car after a good wash it really is all worth it... for those 10 minutes that it stays clean.
Old 07-26-2003, 02:18 PM
rwb
TECH Enthusiast

How do you get it to stay clean for 10 minutes?? Mine get dirty about the time I have all of the towels put away.
Old 07-26-2003, 02:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just got through washing and polishing my black SS, and it is a difficult task. I can't imagine owning a black car as a daily driver, it's difficult enough as a good-weather car.

Having said that, the only three things I REALLY wanted my SS to have were black paint, t-tops, and a six-speed. Black just fits the demeanor of the SS better than any other color in my opinion. I didn't really want a "pretty" color, but an ultra-shiny, ultra-mean looking color.

Josh
Old 07-26-2003, 02:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Black paint is a pita but it looks so good for them 30 seconds after your done. I think the trick is to keep it in one of those sealed bubbles in your garage and never drive it but whats the fun in that.
Old 07-26-2003, 03:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

mine is a daily driver...I just never considered wanting to get into car shows...but now that I have...the paint just pisses me off...and yes...for those 30 secs. it is worth it...I do get jealous when someone with a silver or pewter car half/*** washes their car and its looks perfect...
Old 07-26-2003, 08:59 PM
12 Second Club

I hear what you guys are saying. I always loved the look of a sleek, black car. But now that I own one and try to keep it clean, I get jealous of those silver and pewter cars too.

Kevin
Old 07-26-2003, 11:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm with y'all on this. Nothing looks as evil or shines as intensely as a fully-polished up black 4th generation F-body(downright SEXY).

But the flip side of this coin is that nothing shows more flaws/imperfections than a black car period. Mine is only driven about twice a week(in nice weather only) and it is still impossible to keep the paint looking perfect. It only gets worse with each drive no matter how careful you are. The biggest PITA with this color is the amount of time needed to keep up with maintaining it to that "showcar" finish. Spending half a day in my garage anally detailing it inside and out have grown very tiresome(and the car is a garage queen!).

I love this color, but I really wish I would have went with something else so that I could just enjoy my car more by being able to drive it more often without having to worry about getting it dirty(even if that only consist of a light coating of dust).

Needless to say, this will without a doubt be my LAST black car.

Mike
Old 07-27-2003, 08:49 AM
11 Second Club

I agree with everyone on how beautiful our cars look after a fresh waxing. What's even better is how it looks that evening Oh yeah, can't be beat. If you get pissed at a white/silver/pewter car for them being nice all the time, have a showdown: stand infront of each of your cars and see who's is more mirror like.... oh yeah
Old 07-27-2003, 10:19 AM
On The Tree

Gotta agree with the views on black. I intentionally went looking for a balck or pewter. Got black. I love it. Mines a daily driver so I don't consider "real" car shows. I do the local saturday night drive in typoe shows and other local benefit events, but nothing really competitive.

I bought mine to drive and thats what I do

The other thing is, black looks awesome a night when just the moonlight of light street lighting hits it and it glimmers (hell, even a little dirty it glimmers) as it glides/slides "stealthily" down the road

I've had a torch red vette (PITA), now a black Z-28, probably won't buy another black car. Probably try pewter next time .

Enjoy......
Old 07-28-2003, 12:04 PM
Humanitarian

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A good judge can see swirls in silver paint, I know I sure as hell can. The un trained eye is easily fooled :-)

Red and dark blue are just as bad but they look so nice I couldn't give the color up.
Old 07-28-2003, 01:30 PM
12 Second Club

I also have a daily driver (98 SS Camaro). I spend about 2 hrs (doesnt include waxing) a week and clean the S**T out of the car and after about a day it is dirty again. But I would not have any other color (well, except for pewter just because I love the color and always have). The only thing that pisses me off is when I find that "new scratch" everytime I wash it. It is very disheartening. I would rather repaint than to get a different colored car.
Old 07-28-2003, 01:40 PM
Teching In

I also have a daily driver with black paint. Yeah, its nearly impossibe to keep it clean...after being in the garage overnight theres a nice layer of dust on the car. I think I need an air purifier for my garage

Black is so fitting on an SS though...no other color looks badass like black does.
Old 07-28-2003, 05:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

BLACK paint...a love/hate relationship
More hate than love! Everyone else loves it when I take it to shows, but I hate all the work it takes to look nice at the shows. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr. Damn you white/silver/pewter car owners!
Old 07-29-2003, 08:24 AM
TECH Resident

I love my black TA. I intentionally sought out a black WS6 with black interior. I think it looks exceptional , especially considering that the panel between the taillights and the ones next to the driver/passenger windows are black too. It looks very sleek and very mean . Mine is a garage queen though with less than 3k miles so it doesn't get dirty that often. I know what you mean by the layer of dust it acquires in the garage, which is why I bought a nice car cover. As some of the other guys said, even though you can't see swirl marks and scatches as easy on other colors, they're there. I look at it this way: would I rather have a car where I can find all these imperfections and polish them out or would I rather be fooled by my eyes? I guess ignorance is bliss though, and if it makes you happy not knowing where swirl marks are then a black car is not for you. But like most of you said, I think black on these cars is very fitting for as mean as they look .
Old 07-30-2003, 06:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i gave up on my black TA
ever since the passenger side headlamp was torn off from a drifting accident (stupid, i know) it looks too terrible to even make an attempt to make it look halfway decent. im glad i now have the ASCD hood. now all i need is the light and fender. im almost ready to take it to the body shop!

there is so much damn filth caked up on this poor car, today i woke up and noticed that some dumb bastard must have ran his hands or something alond my hood to make racing stripes out of the caked up dirt on the car. it was kind of funny, and much more creative then the typical "wash me", so i decided to let it stay until i can afford to repair the car and then wash it.

you should see the looks i get around town.
maybe i will peel myself away from this comp and post some pics. wouldnt that be nice? it sure would make everyone else here thankful for their ride. maybe i can even get some kind of charity thing going on from ls1tech.com

its that bad. and has been since november =(
Old 07-30-2003, 06:39 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

All my cars (well, all 3) have been black. The California Car Duster works wonders!!!
Old 07-30-2003, 07:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

I go through Zaino #6 like it's water. I don't skimp on it at all. I wipe it on liberally with a cotton cloth to remove dust and light dirt. Then buff it off with a clean pad. This cuts down on car washes. I also have a garage. I can't imagine what it would be like trying to keep it clean parked outside.
Old 07-30-2003, 08:03 PM
TECH Regular

I have a black SS and love the way it looks for 10 seconds after i wash it. Every time i wash it i have more new scratches, where do they come from? they were not there last week and the car just sits covered all week. black.
Old 07-31-2003, 12:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

I now own a Pewter Formula but my last 3 cars have all been black. I am just opposite, I get so jealous of the black cars I see out there because I know they can look so much better than mine. Oh well, a new paint scheme is coming next spring and I'll be da*ned if it doesn't have black in it somewhere.

Quick Reply: BLACK paint...a love/hate relationship