Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Couple of HID QU??

Old 03-28-2008, 07:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple of HID QU??

Hi,

I am thinking of purchasing the High & Low HID kit from LEDGAUGES for my 2001 TA.
I know these are not a 'ideal' projector set up, and I may one day upgrade to projector housings. But to keep costs down initially I think these will be a good starting point.

1. Is it then a simple case of changing the housings for a projector housing for the low beam, and BI-XENON housings for the high beam later on?

I have read I will be unable to flash my lights with HID bulbs.

2. Will I have problems changing from low to high beam during normal use with the kit from LEDGAUGES?

I also noticed LEDGAUGES no longer appear in the LS1TECH sponsor list.

3. Is there a sinister reason for this, as I have read lots of good reviews about them?

Sorry for the questions, but I like to check that I'm understanding what I've read, and that I haven't missed anything.

Thanks for your advise,

Paul.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:50 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by taws6
1. Is it then a simple case of changing the housings for a projector housing for the low beam, and BI-XENON housings for the high beam later on?
It depends.

* If you get real HID projectors then no because they use a D2S bulb which the sealed beam retrofit housings don't use. Although you can later get D2S bulbs and an adapter cable to connect them to the aftermarket ballasts from the kit (aftermarket ballasts use a different bulb connector, i think its called an "amp" connector so the adapter would be an "amp to D2S" adapter).

* If you get halogen projectors and plan to retrofit HID into them (some accept HID well and some don't), then it depends on whether they use the same bulb as the sealed beam conversion housings (the sealed beam conversion housings are actually designed for halogen). The HID kit sold with the conversion housings is actually an aftermarket HID conversion kit (in other words, its intended to be a plug-and-play replacement for a halogen. I say "intended" because you shouldn't use HID in a halogen reflector housing. You'll usually get a bad beam pattern and glare).

I have read I will be unable to flash my lights with HID bulbs.
Technically you can, but they won't be full brightness and you risk premature failure of the ballast and bulb. Therefore you shouldn't do it.

2. Will I have problems changing from low to high beam during normal use with the kit from LEDGAUGES?
High beam and low beam functionality would not change.

I also noticed LEDGAUGES no longer appear in the LS1TECH sponsor list.

3. Is there a sinister reason for this, as I have read lots of good reviews about them?
That is news to me.

I guess you have to decide how much you are willing to spend and how much effort you are willing to put into it. If you want to do it right and save money, do some research, plan it, out and do it all at once. Buying one setup now and changing to another later will just cost you more money and you'll end up with extra parts you won't use.

www<dot>hidplanet<dot>com/forums/ is a great place for this kind of information. I'm on there too with the same screen name.

Last edited by VIP1; 03-28-2008 at 10:58 PM.
Old 03-29-2008, 06:11 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Thanks you for your reply VIP1.

At last one of my main beams have broke, so I can justify spending the extra for HID. I will look into it some more on hidplanet also.

Thanks again,

Paul.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:00 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 140 Posts

You're Welcome.

If you do go custom with projectors, please post up what/how and I'll add it to the Lighting FAQ.

If you want to see what others have done (including myself), check it out:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/710357-lighting-faq.html

Search this Thread