Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Detail Plan For The Z28

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 11:21 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Detail Plan For The Z28

Well my buddy is getting his car lowered tomorrow and then Wednesday we plan on having a little car detailing party in the afernoon. So far I have the Meguiars Smooth Surface Clay Kit, Meguiars Scratch-X (never tried but thought I would), Meguiars Cleaner Wax, Ice Liquid Wax and Mother's Aluminum Wheel Polish. Does this sound like a good plan for a nice detailing job? Paint hasn't been treating nicely for a while it looks like (jus bought lil whie ago) and I want it looking it's best for the nice warm days to come.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:26 PM
12 Second Club

that should do a nice job. but when it comes to a clay bar job i set the entire day aside for my details. im just a little picky about how i like to clean it. im sure youll be happy with the results
Old 04-01-2008, 01:13 AM
TECH Addict

Im not a huge fan of the Ice wax... ive tried it and it leaves the car kinda greasy. Itll look real shiny but it doesnt hold. For more/better protection and a deeper shine id go with NXT or Zano
Old 04-01-2008, 08:43 AM
TECH Addict

I agree with unSStoppable. I would use Zaino. The ice does leave it feeling too greasy. Post up some pics after your "party" so we can see the results
Old 04-01-2008, 11:45 AM
Launching!

where are you guys buying your zaino at? Having to order it or what because no one aroudn here as it?
Old 04-01-2008, 01:27 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Surface treatments by hand will give you a clean shine to the surface but may do little in terms of any surface corrections to remove stuborn scratches and moderate swirling.

If you desire to remove these, it will be necessary to remove them by machine such as the Porter Cable, UDM or Flex buffer with liquid abrasives such as Menzerna or our TC-8 Swirl Cutter.

Feel free to reach us at contact@tropi-care.com for more information.
Old 04-01-2008, 02:02 PM
TECH Addict

You will have to order your Zaino and I agree i would use a porter cable to get all the swirl marks and all out
Old 04-01-2008, 03:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the liquid ice tipically only lasts one to two weeks. ive tried scratch X on black and nbm and it doesnt really make and noticable differences. on silver my friend was able to take out most of his blemishes tho
Old 04-03-2008, 12:03 PM
Launching!

Default Bringing Up-to-Date

Well I got her clayd, scratch Xd the hood(work reletively well) and put the first coat of wax on. Thats all the day allowed so I put the cover on her lastnight jus to be safe and guess what......It's raining outside. Shoulda guessed it. Now I'm glad a bought that weather resistant cover. Didn't get any pictures but if made a huge difference and hoefully the ast coat of wax will set it off.
Anyone have a secrct method to cleaning polished aluminum rims? Mine are really water spotted and dirty and I can't seem to get em the way I think they should be.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:20 PM
TECH Addict

use mothers mag and aluminum wheel polish, its about $5.99 and you will need to buy a roll of shop towels (blue ones). rub the polish on there doint one section of the wheel at a time, rub till you see the white compound turn grey/black and gritty until you feel it get smooth and then buff it off with a new rag. dont use any towle because the polishing process is really dirty on them

i have used it on several aluminum wheels and they always come out looking like chrome. if your not happy with the results, or still see some scratches after the first coat do another one. my pro stars had never seen polish before and it took about 3 coats to get them flawless

before

after
Old 04-04-2008, 12:04 AM
Launching!

thats what i tried and they looked better but not like i wanted.
maybe it jus needs a few more tries
shop towels better then a power ball?
Old 04-04-2008, 12:17 AM
TECH Addict

i just buffed it by hand. powerball seems kind of pointless mag polish is really dirty

you can use towels but they get really dirty. scoop the polish out with a rag and rub it onto the wheel, hard. keep rubbing till the polish gets really dirty, and actually feels smooth (but looks dirty) move on to a different section of the wheel by dipping another clean section of the rag in the polish and applying it to the wheel. it better to do the wheel in sections than applying it all in one swipe. once you let it dry go over it with a clean towel and wipe evertything off. if you have done the process right your rag will be covered in black. thats why i use a roll of shop towels, like papertowels except softer and you can throw them away when your done

Last edited by chrysler kid; 04-04-2008 at 12:24 AM.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:19 AM
Launching!

Alright I'll try another buff or two and see what kinda results I get. Thanks man
I'll post pics when everythiing is clean hopefully
Old 04-04-2008, 12:27 AM
TECH Addict

for my pro stars i had to take the wheels off to get in around the lugnuts. good luck it will take you an hour maybe two to get a good buff on the wheels, three if you take the time to remove the wheels from the car