Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

polishing

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 12:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default polishing

are there and good write ups for this? ive searched and the only write up i found doesnt work. anybody want to share some info. i want to polish my TB and MAF and eventually my valve covers. i have a small buffing kit with emery compound, tripoli compound, and white rouge. which one is the best to use to polish after you sand it down?
Old 04-02-2008, 01:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

dude, just wetsand with "imperial wetdry" sand paper. Its black in color. Start off from like 400 or 600 grit and move youre way up to 1500 grit until its smooth as can be with no imperfections. Then go get mothers billit aluminum polish and rub the **** in until its black, push hard and wipe of with microfibre towel. I like using dremel polishing wheels for nooks and places that are hard to get at with youre finger. If you put a polishing wheel or something to that effect on theend of a drill also does a way better job than hand polishing. Good luck man
Old 04-02-2008, 02:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

usually the quickest way to sand is using greasless compounds in different grits. It creates a more even sand surface in half the time. The only challenge is getting your tools into crevices and all that.

The question about which compound after sanding depends on the metal type, along with what grit you quit sanding. In some instances the emery compound can create more scratches after sanding. I know that most skip the emery on aluminum and go to the tripoli, followed by cleaning with brake cleaner and then white rouge.

Abrasive in this order Black emery, tripoli, white rouge. They make even more mild and aggressive rouge blocks also.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice info
Old 04-02-2008, 03:17 PM
TECH Regular

this was posted on this site one time I believe- http://www.poleringsguide.se/english/

it has some good info/pics
Old 04-02-2008, 05:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by CAMAROZ28AQUINO
dude, just wetsand with "imperial wetdry" sand paper. Its black in color. Start off from like 400 or 600 grit and move youre way up to 1500 grit until its smooth as can be with no imperfections. Then go get mothers billit aluminum polish and rub the **** in until its black, push hard and wipe of with microfibre towel. I like using dremel polishing wheels for nooks and places that are hard to get at with youre finger. If you put a polishing wheel or something to that effect on theend of a drill also does a way better job than hand polishing. Good luck man
What he said ^^^it works