Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Best way to remove tint

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 12:28 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to remove tint

Well the car is going on being over 7 years old and still has the original window tint that was done by the original owner still on and it's come time to get re-tinted. Haven't gotten any prices yet but was wondering if anyone knew a good way to remove the tint myself with out having to pay for it to be done when i get the car re-tinted. trying to stay within a reasonable budget but that will probably fail if it's too much of a pain in the ***

Thanks, Russ
Old 04-03-2008, 12:50 AM
TECH Addict

Im actually in the process of doing this myself, get yourself some "Tint Off" spray bottle from Wal-Mart. It help's with the removal of the tint, and get the kit to apply the tint. It comes with a razorblade, which you can use to remove the old tint. Just take your time, when 1st doing it. You dont wanna scratch the window.

Use that "Tint Off" spray to help clean the window after you removed the tint. It's very easy, well the removal part is.....

Price range, right now they charged me $130. However i think there chargin for the back window, but for me. Im just doing my door's, the back window tint is okk. That's probably your average price though, for door's & hatch window.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Not really sure whats the best way to remove it. You have be verry careful with the razor blades when you do, because you can easily scratch the **** out of the glass. You will see every razor blade scratch when you put on the new tint. It will look like ***.
Old 04-03-2008, 01:13 AM
TECH Regular

I was forced (legally) to remove my 20% tint. Once I caught the edge of the tint with my razor blade it all pealed off real easy like. Go slow on your back window so you don't pull off the defrost. It's really no big deal.
Old 04-03-2008, 01:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If it has been on the car for a very long time, it can be a pita and come off in small pieces.
Old 04-03-2008, 02:43 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i had my tint removed and redone b/c the prev owner had double stacked it.... but anyways, the guy at the tint place got a mix of water and dish soap (dont know the %) and sprayed it on the windows, and then stuck a black plastic trash bag to the solution.

with plenty of solution on there, and the bag on the windows, he let it sit in direct sunlight for about an hour and it peeled right off. it worked very easily and took little effort to get the old tint off. hope this helps
Old 04-03-2008, 05:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FrankSS
i had my tint removed and redone b/c the prev owner had double stacked it.... but anyways, the guy at the tint place got a mix of water and dish soap (dont know the %) and sprayed it on the windows, and then stuck a black plastic trash bag to the solution.

with plenty of solution on there, and the bag on the windows, he let it sit in direct sunlight for about an hour and it peeled right off. it worked very easily and took little effort to get the old tint off. hope this helps
Black bag it. Best way to go. But most people don't use soapy water...instead use simple green or ammonia based cleaner.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:03 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by OSUBraden
Go slow on your back window so you don't pull off the defrost.
i love not having a rear defogger
Originally Posted by fast377
Black bag it. Best way to go. But most people don't use soapy water...instead use simple green or ammonia based cleaner.
i was gonna say simple green would be my suggestion
Old 04-03-2008, 06:21 AM
TECH Regular

I just peeled mine off by hand, and then used some Brake Cleaner on a rag to get rid of the glue
Old 04-03-2008, 11:49 PM
TECH Addict

Just did mine, it was very easy. Didnt use the razor blade very much. Just at the beginning to peel some of the tint off, enough to where i could then grab it and slowly pull it off. While spraying the "tint off" solution to the window at the same time.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:05 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for all of the responses guys I really appreciate it and all the helpful hints...Probably going to go with the plastic black bag trick and see how that works out cause of how old the tint is.

I have never had tint purple up on me but thats what it's starting to do cause it's so old...

Oh well new tint will be 5% and on a black SS it's going to look sick...

Again thanks for your help and input!!

-Russ
Old 04-04-2008, 12:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SSrussman
Well the car is going on being over 7 years old and still has the original window tint that was done by the original owner still on and it's come time to get re-tinted. Haven't gotten any prices yet but was wondering if anyone knew a good way to remove the tint myself with out having to pay for it to be done when i get the car re-tinted. trying to stay within a reasonable budget but that will probably fail if it's too much of a pain in the ***

Thanks, Russ

Dude, do NOT use a razor blade. There was a good write up for removing tint, I can't remember where I saw it so I can give credit but here is what you can do.

Go to walmart and buy a small, handheld steamer. They will be somewhere near the irons and ironing boards. They cost like 25 bucks maybe. Take that home, fill it up with water, and steam on corner of the window until you can peel it up enough to get a good grab on it. Peel it up with your fingernail, NOT a razorblade. Trust me, with the steamer, it will take a minute or two and then your fingernail will be all you need. Once you have a corner peeled up, keep steaming the window starting from where you peeled up the corner and work your way to the opposite corner of the window, steaming the whole time and slowly peeling off the tint.

I did both door glass in about 10 minutes each, without the scratches and hassle of a razorblade, and the steamer will keep the tint 'glue' attached to the tint, and not you window, which can be a REAL pita to remove.

Hope this helps and good luck
Old 04-04-2008, 02:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^^ ive heard from people that do tints about the steamer being the best way to remove it
Old 04-05-2008, 11:14 PM
On The Tree

K looks like i'm going the steamer route as a wally world is just down the street from me and that seems to be the safest and most effective way...Thanks for the new and good advice.

-Russ

Quick Reply: Best way to remove tint