Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rear Hatch Glass Molding Problem - Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 05:56 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Rear Hatch Glass Molding Problem - Help!

If you take a look at the pics below, the molding is coming off of the rear glass on my car. I have noticed a lot of Camaros out there that have the molding around the bottom of the glass, but no molding running up around the top of the roof.

My question is why my car has it and others don't? Also, will it hurt anything if I just go ahead and remove the top molding strip? Where can I purchase replacement molding for the bottom of the window, and what is the best way to put it on?

Thanks, Joe
Attached Thumbnails Rear Hatch Glass Molding Problem - Help!-img_0555.jpg   Rear Hatch Glass Molding Problem - Help!-img_0556.jpg   Rear Hatch Glass Molding Problem - Help!-img_0557.jpg  
Old 05-12-2008, 07:43 PM
On The Tree

I'm in the same boat as you. I asked a GM dealer once and they said they could only get that trim with a new hatch? Anyone else know what to do?
Old 05-12-2008, 08:56 PM
Launching!

Tuning in, mine is still firmly attached, but has oxidized really bad. I've tried everything to get it black again; going to order some "forever black" trim dye... if that doesn't do it I'll be looking into getting new moulding... if I can!
Old 05-12-2008, 09:52 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine looked just like that in my Formula. When I switched out my Formula Hatch glass into a 94 High Rise Trans Am Hatch (TA hatch the glass was busted out) I had to get new molding. its round 100 bucks give or take. No you dont have to get a new hatch but they do have to destroy the old molding in order to remove the window in order to replace it.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:24 PM
Staging Lane

I'm taking it then that this job would be best left up to the pros. I have a few local glass shops that I'm going to call in the morning and find out information.

Any idea why my Camaro has the trim running around the top of the window near the roof and other Camaros do not?
Old 01-15-2022, 07:30 PM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Same issue here. They don’t sell those moldings anymore. Anyone caulk that gap in?
Old 03-26-2022, 02:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by PRNDL
Same issue here. They don’t sell those moldings anymore. Anyone caulk that gap in?
Being my cars are garaged and not daily drivers, I removed the top/side piece completely. Have never had a issue with it.
Old 03-28-2022, 09:39 AM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Joey96
I'm taking it then that this job would be best left up to the pros. I have a few local glass shops that I'm going to call in the morning and find out information.

Any idea why my Camaro has the trim running around the top of the window near the roof and other Camaros do not?
Because the other ones fell off already. I think it's typical that with time those trims fail and become detached from the rear window. I dealt with it on my 95 Camaro. Been fortunate with my 01, but expect that it'll happen at some point.
Old 03-28-2022, 02:19 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Originally Posted by HoustonSS
Because the other ones fell off already. I think it's typical that with time those trims fail and become detached from the rear window. I dealt with it on my 95 Camaro. Been fortunate with my 01, but expect that it'll happen at some point.
Did the early 4th gens even come originally with the top trim/molding piece around the glass? I don't seem to recall any of the '93 cars having this, even when they were new/newish, not sure about '94 though. I recently looked at a very low mileage '93 pace car (collector quality type car) that didn't have the top piece, which I thought I remembered as being normal for those early ones. Definitely still had the bottom piece though.

But I doubt the OP is seeing a ton of '93 Camaros at this point, so your assessment is probably correct in his case.
Old 03-28-2022, 02:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Did the early 4th gens even come originally with the top trim/molding piece around the glass? I don't seem to recall any of the '93 cars having this, even when they were new/newish, not sure about '94 though. I recently looked at a very low mileage '93 pace car (collector quality type car) that didn't have the top piece, which I thought I remembered as being normal for those early ones. Definitely still had the bottom piece though.

But I doubt the OP is seeing a ton of '93 Camaros at this point, so your assessment is probably correct in his case.
I can't speak for 93/94 cars, as I never owned one of those. My 95 was an early 3.4L V6 car, and it had the strip going all the way up and over the window by the sail panel, with the little channel to route water down to the fender wells. It did the same thing that was shown, and it started peeling away from the window at the corner, and up the window. I had the dealership "fix" it, though I don't know what they did. I do not believe that they replaced it.

Quick Reply: Rear Hatch Glass Molding Problem - Help!