Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

VFN SS hood question

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2003, 05:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default VFN SS hood question

I'm considering getting the VFN 3" SS hood but I don't like the looks of the intake in the scoop being flat and closed off. Has anyone cut an opening or put something over top of it? I make fun of the ricers that have a ram air hood with no opening and I don't want to be in the same boat.
Old 08-09-2003, 06:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Re: VFN SS hood question

Alot, if not most, aftermarket hoods come that way. You have to cut it yourself.
If memory serves, VFN made the front to accept an LT1 SS scoop grille... width wise anyway. Either go with that after you cut it to size, or cut it the way you like and make a grille/screen for it.
Good luck
Dave

FWIW: I think the reason most of the hoods come uncut is so the fiberglass can cure as strong a possible. Something along the lines of the way you are supposed to install the hood unpainted and drive with it like that for a couple weeks. That allows the glass to cure thoroughly and allows it to cure on the exact vehicle it will spend it's life on. Every car stresses the glass slightly different and paint seals the curing process to a halt. So painting before mounting hurts a few ways... If you cut the hole in a visible area early, it seems to me that some slight, but critical support will be lost before the shape of the glass is finalized.
Just my guess as to why it is done this way.
Old 08-09-2003, 11:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Default Re: VFN SS hood question

Excellent insight. Makes alot of sense. I would have never thought of that.