Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Clear corners, does anyone NOT have a leaking problem?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2003, 01:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clear corners, does anyone NOT have a leaking problem?

I bought my car used and the guy who had it before me put clear corners on it. Both of them had quite a bit of condensation in them so I replaced them with some new ones from Afterthoughts. Along with them I put in some L.E.D.'s as they run 95% cooler than normal bulbs. So I figured with them running cooler they wouldn't warp them housing like most cases and they would remain sealed. Wrong. I just exchanged my driver side corner for a new one because it almost had a pond inside it. I have to say though, Deanne at afterthoughts is great and gave me no problems whatsoever with the exchange.

But back to my initial question, does anyone NOT have problems with your clear corners leaking? I really need to go back to regular bulbs because L.E.D's are just not bright enough - I don't think people can tell I'm signalling during a sunny day (I've got some bad looks). But I don't want the heat issues that come with them. I've heard of people drilling holes in them but I don't think that's doable with the diamond clear ones, it looks like that would shatter the chrome plastic.

Ideas?
Old 08-10-2003, 04:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Re: Clear corners, does anyone NOT have a leaking problem?

I have the APC regular clears (look like OEM lenses only clear) as I don't like the diamond clears and I have had zero moisture in them. I did drill 2 small holes in the bottom of each of the light cavities though after hearing about so many people having problems. But I don't think it was necessary with these lights.

Maybe it's time to ditch the Diamond clears?
Old 08-10-2003, 10:58 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

I just installed the Diamonds from Afterthoughts, but before I did I put a bead of clear silicone all the way around where the lens is glued onto the housing. This was a suggestion from other members here to prevent moisture/leaks from happening.

I also disabled the DRLs, even my factory bulb harnesses were starting to melt at only 12K miles!

Tony
Old 08-10-2003, 11:40 PM
On The Tree

here's the solution so listen up.... on the '98+ camaro's the bulb for the turn signal screws into the housing from above, and that's where the problem is. I bought diamond clears, took the car for a wash, and immediatly when I returned home the turn signals had water in them. So here's what I did.... I made sure the bulbs were scewed in correctly, then taped the bulbs down to the housings using duct tape, and I went over it several times in all directions to prevent water from leaking in... what I realized is that it's not "condensation" in the turn signals, or leaks from where the lens is glued to the housing. The water is coming from the gap between the bottom of your headlight housing and the bumper. If you stick your hand in that gap, you'll feel where your turn signal bulb is inserted into your turn signal housing. Put a few passes of duct tape in several directions... I did this six months ago and guess what? PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!!

oh, yeah.... ditch the LED bulbs, the amber glass bulbs are much brighter and more visible. I think APC sells an amber bulb that looks silver (chrome) but lights up amber. Hope this helps.
Old 08-11-2003, 09:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

here's the solution so listen up.... Put a few passes of duct tape in several directions...
Old 08-11-2003, 01:08 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive got the diamond clear ones from Afterthoughts Auto and no problems here. Theyve been on the car for a few months now, but I havent gone through any rain. I have washed the car every week though and if a problem was going to occur, then it would do it with a wash too. I did nothing to mine, but install the Jam Straight amber 3157s (15 LEDs), amber 194s (4 LEDs), and EL12 electronic flashers from Autozone. I put some silicone around the socket and that was it. JustinsZ...did you happen to replace the flashers? I hear that you have to or else you will run into problems. I dont know if that consists of heat, but if so, then its going to ruin your lenses.
Old 08-11-2003, 02:32 PM
On The Tree

Not too crazy about the tape idea. If I did that and used regular bulbs wouldn't it melt the tape? Sounds kinda dangerous.

NVMySS, yeah I have the electronic flasher from Auto Zone as well. I also put silicone around the socket. My passengar side one is clear as day, but the driver side one had a ton of moisture in it. Are your LED's bright enough during the day?
Old 08-11-2003, 05:38 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cant really notice them in the day, but I dont care...I dont give a crap if people give me bad looks or not. At night they look nice...real clean and crisp if ya know what I mean. The only options you have for fixing the brightness is: 1. cover up the existing hole and make a new one at the back where it would face toward the facia. 2. put the regular bulbs in and run a risk of ruining your lenses. 3. buying the bulbs that have the LEDs around the perimeter of the entire bunch. Those my friend are might expensive, if I remember right...$50 a bulb. I dont think its worth it, so I left mine how they are.
Old 08-12-2003, 10:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I got the OEM clears....I have NO drill holes and NO moisture...*knock on wood* now that I have said no moisture I'll prolly get some but if so oh well..lol. good luck Laters Justin
Old 08-13-2003, 08:51 PM
TECH Regular

i ve tryed everytink! the passenger side is allways leaking so i put back my factory corners problem solved

Quick Reply: Clear corners, does anyone NOT have a leaking problem?