Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Grant Steering Wheel on 98-02 F-Body: What Install Kit Number?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 09:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Grant Steering Wheel on 98-02 F-Body: What Install Kit Number?

Does anybody know the install kit part number + manufacturer that is required to mount a Grant steering wheel on a 98-02 F-Body? I know it's possible as I have seen several photos of late model Trans Am's and Camaros with Grant steering wheels installed. This is going on a track-only car (i.e. race car) with a 5-point harness, roll bar, etc. Thanks!

Eric
Old 06-13-2008, 11:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

just food for thought....i walked away from this bc of my air bag (broken foot and shattered ankle so i guess i limped) im not preaching just something to think about.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:42 PM
Launching!

Grant 3196; And food for thought, I had two personal friends that were in accidents where the bag would have blown, one did: he was knocked out cold and his car burnt to the ground; the other's didn't: he had the bag removed, good thing too, because his car was upside down, sinking in the mud as he dug his way out. Seatbelts are a lifesafer, airbags are a good intention.
Old 06-14-2008, 12:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

look at the roofline crinkled....i wasn't knocked out. i wasn't wearing a seatbelt either. i was going 55 mph and the other driver 45 mph. completely head on crash. we stopped instantly. now if that doesn't knock you out you have no case at all. your BS rare exception is just that BS. as for the case of sinking in the mud....well do i even need to comment on that one. i dont think he gonna be riding down the 4 wheel jamboree trail doing sixty mph in the rain and flip his car. ***.

Last edited by 01ssreda4; 06-14-2008 at 12:21 AM.
Old 06-14-2008, 03:13 AM
On The Tree

seriosuly, enough with the preaching.. everytime theres a question about steering wheels, someone has to play Daddy.

people that take the airbags off know the risk.

My advice, is grab the GM adapter that comes on a Peg, its either Billet or black, and is about 30$, looks nicer and fits alot nicer. I have the Billet one and it works great and looks good.

plus you can find it at Checker, Autozone, and Pepboys.
Old 06-14-2008, 06:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Grant mzakes an air bag series....do any of them fit F-Bodies?
Old 06-14-2008, 10:37 PM
11 Second Club

pn 3196
Old 06-15-2008, 04:58 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DRSITES
Grant 3196; And food for thought, I had two personal friends that were in accidents where the bag would have blown, one did: he was knocked out cold and his car burnt to the ground; the other's didn't: he had the bag removed, good thing too, because his car was upside down, sinking in the mud as he dug his way out. Seatbelts are a lifesafer, airbags are a good intention.
Ummm... airbags deflate after they blow... How in the hell would it have caused a problem with someone "digging out"

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
look at the roofline crinkled....i wasn't knocked out. i wasn't wearing a seatbelt either. i was going 55 mph and the other driver 45 mph. completely head on crash. we stopped instantly. now if that doesn't knock you out you have no case at all. your BS rare exception is just that BS. as for the case of sinking in the mud....well do i even need to comment on that one. i dont think he gonna be riding down the 4 wheel jamboree trail doing sixty mph in the rain and flip his car. ***.
If you're stupid enough to not wear a seatbelt then you are correct, you should keep your airbag

And to both of you...

Originally Posted by EBRAMAIR
Does anybody know the install kit part number + manufacturer that is required to mount a Grant steering wheel on a 98-02 F-Body? I know it's possible as I have seen several photos of late model Trans Am's and Camaros with Grant steering wheels installed. This is going on a track-only car (i.e. race car) with a 5-point harness, roll bar, etc. Thanks!

Eric
WTF does the comments have to do with this poor guy just trying to get some part numbers for his RACE car which sounds WAY SAFER than a street car

To the OP, which wheel are you thinking about going with?
Old 06-15-2008, 06:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

6litereater with the thread save! Almost got completely hijacked!
Old 06-15-2008, 11:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by camaro_five0
6litereater with the thread save! Almost got completely hijacked!
On a slight hi-jack note... Your car looks awesome !
Old 06-16-2008, 12:09 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BitViper
Grant mzakes an air bag series....do any of them fit F-Bodies?
dude that is so so so badass, but they dont list an f-body, and unless they intertwine with any of the other models listed then I think were still out of luck. does anyone know if theres a way to match em up?
http://www.grantproducts.com/c-61-re...ng-wheels.aspx
Old 06-16-2008, 12:26 AM
Banned

I rented a 'Stang while visiting family and I must say their wheel is pretty cool to be a factory wheel with airbag and yet have the racy/retro look.

To the OP, ever consider these wheels:

I always thought that style looked good with our cars... Just search "waterfall steering wheel"...
Old 06-16-2008, 07:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Still, we poor F-body owners are left in the dark
Old 06-16-2008, 08:13 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 6LITEREATER
If you're stupid enough to not wear a seatbelt then you are correct, you should keep your airbag

And to both of you...

WTF does the comments have to do with this poor guy just trying to get some part numbers for his RACE car which sounds WAY SAFER than a street car
Amen!

And even if it were going in a street car, the only real issue would be how the absence of the airbag would affect the inspection, if your state has those, which we do in Texas....

I learned how to drive in a 1964 Impala SS....ever seen the steering wheel in one of those?

I'd had my driver's license for 12 years before I'd ever seen an airbag, and my first impression was that made for one fugly steering wheel. Still think that, compared to the old wheels. There's still no substitute for using the seatbelts.

That being said, I'd love to put classic three spoke leather-wrapped Momo wheels in both of my cars.

Last edited by Greg99LS1; 06-16-2008 at 08:41 AM.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:10 AM
TECH Veteran

damn that's scary, glad to hear that you came out of it alright
Old 06-16-2008, 10:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 6LITEREATER
I rented a 'Stang while visiting family and I must say their wheel is pretty cool to be a factory wheel with airbag and yet have the racy/retro look.
I love the wheel in the Mustang! Talk about form and function. Even if there were air bag capable replacements for the f-body wheel, we'd have to give up our stereo controls! Guess we can't have it all.
Old 06-16-2008, 03:50 PM
11 Second Club

If you are rolling a bar etc, and a 5pt harness isn't the air bag kinda pointless?
Old 06-16-2008, 03:52 PM
Banned

just food for thought....i walked away from this bc of my air bag (broken foot and shattered ankle so i guess i limped) im not preaching just something to think about.
BTW, didn't mean to down play your miracle...
Old 06-16-2008, 10:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

well i consider it a blessing for me. as much as i think airbags are truely awful to look at everyday im grateful i had one that day. anyone who pays attention will know that was a blessing for me that day and then it wasn't at the same time you know?
Old 06-17-2008, 04:03 AM
Banned

This thread should inspire the OP:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/939293-new-stering-wheel.html

Quick Reply: Grant Steering Wheel on 98-02 F-Body: What Install Kit Number?