Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Trans Am leather seat cover removal? (pwr lumbar w/ plastic back cover on the seats)

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 04:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans Am leather seat cover removal? (pwr lumbar w/ plastic back cover on the seats)

Hey guys, I did some searching and couldn't find anything about removing the seat covers (front seat backs only) on the TA seats w/ the plastic backing on the rear of the seat. Anyone have any pointers? I started to remove them but I didn't immediately see how to remove the headrest (whole thing, not the cover) and it looked like hog-rings may have been holding the leather on, figured I better ask before I screw something up...

What I'm wanting to do is swap the seat covers from the passenger side over to the drivers side and vice versa. My drivers bolster is still in decent shape but it is wearing and won't be long before it tears. If I can swap over the passenger seat cover I'll in effect have a brand new drivers cover and the worn bolster shouldn't get any more serious wear over on the passengers side...

The rear plastic backing on the seats looks like it should make this possible as the seat covers look identical, the seat latch, etc is all built into that plastic cover and not the seat cover like on Camaros.

Any input appreciated, I've removed Camaro seat covers but I've never jacked w/ the TA's seats and I'd don't want to screw them up.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:11 PM
Banned

The plastic backings should come off pretty easy from what I remember. What I found out was that the plastic sides kinda look like wavy wings or whatever are attached to the leather itself (sewn together). If i remember correctly the guy who re-upholstered my seats in my lt1 car, said you have to pretty much cut and re-sew, but i could be wrong.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:45 PM
Staging Lane

Hmm, I had pulled the plastic back off and it looked like there were two screws on each side holding each plastic side wing piece or whatever on. They look like the sides are identical for each side/each seat so if they are at least detachable from the seat I don't think it will matter that much if the leather is sewn directly do them. I assumed they came off...
Old 07-20-2008, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

there are 2 screws at the top of the plastic and on the sides there are 2 screws that are covered up by a little gray or black plastic cap. Take those 4 out.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, the seat covers are interchangeable. Just start taking screws off and you will see how easy it actually is.
Old 07-27-2008, 07:09 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the input, will be a nice swap then. Kinda like rotating tires to double seat life, lol...

Can anyone clear up whether they are held on by hog rings or not? I'll have to buy a pair of pliers before I start removing the covers if so.

I was going to tackle it today but my window motor gave out so I did that remove and replace instead for this weekend...
Old 07-27-2008, 08:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, you will need hog ring pliers.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:18 PM
Staging Lane

Just wanted to update this for anyone else that searches and finds this thread later, the seat cover swap went pretty well. It took me 3-4 hours mainly because I was learning how everything was attached as I went along, but there was nothing particularly hard.

The seat covers are hogringed all down the front side to the seat back foam piece, so instead of redoing all that I just left them attached to the foam and swapped the cover and seat foam from side to side as one piece (the foam is hogringed to the frame in 5-6 places).

Anyway, end result is I have a practically brand new seat cover on the drivers side now, and the worn bolster that would have started to look bad before much longer is now on the side of the passenger seat where it will get no more wear. Great way to extend the life of your seat if you've got the TA leather seats.

Quick Reply: Trans Am leather seat cover removal? (pwr lumbar w/ plastic back cover on the seats)