Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Stereo Experts w/in...

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2001, 11:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo Experts w/in...

Question for the Stereo Experts...

What I know about car stereos and related-terminology, you could put in a thimble, so please forgive my explanation.

I personally love the overall sound of the stock Monsoon System that came in the Hawk, as well as my old T/A. The bass is perfect for my taste, but the sound from the tweeters seems very quiet in comparison, and not as crisp. I put some upgraded 3-way speakers in an Eclipse I had a few years back, and the treble was much crisper. SO, my question: Is it possible to upgrade just the tweeters in the factory locations, w/o having to replace everything in the whole car or adding amps everywhere? What other suggestions might anyone have to correct this?
Old 11-17-2001, 12:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Stereo Experts w/in...

There are a few different ways you can go about that, I'll tell you about the one that I am familiar with (because this is part of what I did for my own stereo system).

You could find a set of 6.75" component speakers (oversized 6 1/2 inch midrange + a tweeter)that you like, and mount them in the stock door locations. I like my MB Quarts, but everyone has different tastes, some folks think the Quart tweeters are too harsh.

Then you can get a 2 channel amp to power them. 2 channel amps are generally easier to conceal because of their smaller size, and not too expensive either. Run new speaker wire from the amp to the new door speakers.

Hook the amp to the factory head unit by using a PAC OEM-1 (PAC is the manufacturer, OEM1 is the part) it's a thingamajig that plugs in between the stock monsoon head unit and the factory wiring harness, and gives you 2 sets of RCA preouts (front and rear) and a remote turn on wire. Run some RCA cable from the front RCA preouts to your new amp. The rest of your Monsoon system is still hooked up, and will remain functional. The new front speakers will be powered by the new 2 channel amp.

[ November 17, 2001: Message edited by: TTopJohn ]</p>

Quick Reply: Stereo Experts w/in...