Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

repainting- can you just re-clearcoat?

Old 09-03-2008, 07:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default repainting- can you just re-clearcoat?

Hi, I am kinda clueless to how cars are painted today and what's involved but guy at work had his red speed3 backed into and his dealership did the body work and was able to paint just half the door or roof to fix some existing damage he had. And another person I know had her black honda crashed into and they did the same type of paint repair where it was just half a panel and blended it in.
I have a black 02 and it's in very decent shape but I have a small dimple smaller than the size of a dime in the left rear quarter panel, no paint or clearcoat scratch though. And the front of the car has the usual minor chips and speckles from 50000 miles of use.
What can be done to get the car looking showroom new?
can you just reclearcloat to get out existing deep clearcoat scratches that can't be easily polished away?
and what kind of cost is there, am I looking at a $5000 paint job or are there cheaper ways to achieve the same result... including the dimple in the quarter panel?
thanks.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmmmmmmmm sometimes you can get dents or dimples out with dry ice if the paint or clear cloat has not been damage you can find the fix on you tube or google. as for the scratches in the bumper take it to a good shop they will probably sand it repaint and be on the way. Make sure the shop is clean though thats how you know if its a good one. As far as price you can get a good painted bumper for like 500 bucks maybe cheaper if you know some people.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Yea if you know someone it helps a lot, you can usually get stuff done a lot cheaper. I don't know about the dimple in the quarter though, it might have to be sanded all the way down and filled and then painted. I had a dent filled and the whole quarter repainted and it was 350 but it was a buddy or mine who did the work.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

basically depending on how far back the dent is on the quarter some shops wont even touch the door especially since black is easy to match. as for the front end the best way is to sand out the chips and stuff and re paint it. also you if its just a minor dent and theres no crease try paintless dent repair on the quarter.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: repainting- can you just re-clearcoat?