Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Question about retro style grill emblem idea???

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2003, 11:10 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question about retro style grill emblem idea???

I was thinking about buying a SS grill emblem for a 69 camaro and putting it on my billet grill insert, has anybody else tryed this? I was wondering does it matter if I use the grill emblem designed for the standard grill or use the one designed for the RS grill? Does it make a different which one I use? I hope I am making sense here....

Thanks
Old 09-07-2003, 07:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Re: Question about retro style grill emblem idea???

I have a 69 Camaro SS emblem on a Stull Billet Grille. In order to fit the contour of the grille the emblem had to be bent. Used a hair dryer to heat the emblem. The emblems are made of pot metal and break easily. I worked slowly with it until the shape matched the grille. There were two more issues to handle. After bending the emblem, the studs on the emblem were too far apart to fit into the backing plate. So I cut the plate in two and attached the speed nuts. The studs also had to be cut as they were too long and would have jammed into the fascia. Used side cutters to trim them after the speed nuts were tightened. Then mounted the grille.

I have since 'heard' that a 69 RS/SS emblem will fit the contour of the grille better. But I am not sure of the length of the studs. Also others have used 3M tape after removing the studs completely.
Old 09-08-2003, 01:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to have a billet grill with a 1969 Z/28 emblem on it. I mounted it the same way as WayneSS01 described. Works great that way.
Old 09-08-2003, 07:52 AM
12 Second Club

cool. I think I'm gonna try a 69 SS emblem designed for the RS grill and see how that works

Thanks
Old 09-08-2003, 09:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

I can make it a lot easier for you... Don't use a '69 Camaro emblem. Any '67 Chevelle emblem will match the angle of the Stull grille. No bending required.