Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

New paint and Zaino

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2003, 12:49 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New paint and Zaino

Well, the car was painted 2 1/2 weeks ago and naturally I am waiting out the cure time as I am told from everyone.
I'm so anxious to polish it soooooo...... do I have to wait to use Zaino???

Thanks!!!
Beth
Old 09-08-2003, 01:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Default Re: New paint and Zaino

I was able to apply it to my repainted area immediately since its a polish, not a wax
Old 09-08-2003, 01:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

ugh....the misconceptions.

ZAINO IS NOT A POLISH. IT HAS NO ABRASIVES. IT DOESN'T POLISH ANYTHING.

Zaino is essentially a sealant, as is wax. However, zaino seals alot more effectively than wax does, thus on new, curing paint, it is actually WORSE to apply zaino. If the paint is a urethane based 2 stage (base + clear) like the factory uses, a two week time frame is plenty of time before sealing/waxing. Since the paint is new (and hopefully you didn't wash it with a crappy mitt or touch it with anything otherwise), it should be swirl free and not need polishing.

The misconceptions about Zaino are crazy. It is not a polish, and it is not the end all be all of paint care products. It does the job it was designed to do very well - but it certainly isnt a polish or some special formula that is immune from damaging paint when used improperly or at the wrong time (e.g. while paint is curing a nice coat of zaino would lock in the vapors and cause solvent pop even worse than a nice coat of wax would - however neither one should be applied during curing times)

Also, Z-5 isnt a polish either, it is a filler. It fills in swirls and hides them and then is sealed in by the z-2. For more information read some of the threads over at www.autopia.org .

-Tom

-Tom
Old 09-08-2003, 02:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

well I'm basing this on what my paint shop told me...
Old 09-08-2003, 02:25 PM
Launching!

Ok, new paint lesson for me, please.

I have used a good mit on the car to keep it clean and I have been keeping it dry with a cotton towel everytime it rains and thank goodness, no birdies have left their mark!

I have to agree that Zaino does seal and is not a polish. I have had trouble with it in the past when taking it off it would smear around. It just seems to leave a film.....if that is the right word... so it must seal.

I have to admit it is so easy to go to the car wash and just hose it off with water and have the bugs, brake dust and rubber just come right off. And the fact that rear bumper gets dirt in the paint and the Zaino helps that not happen. Yes it is white, so I see all of those little black specs.

I guess my questioin is : Since the body shop buffs the car with Meguiars before it leaves, do I really have to wait 30 days for Zaino (which is what I have) or can I use Meguairs? I want to protect the paint the right way when it is time.

Beth
-Swirl free-

Old 09-08-2003, 07:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well first off stop using the towel after it rains if you want to stay swirl free. The only way to truly prevent swirls is to not touch the paint with anything. Of course this isn't gonna happen we know that, you have to touch it with SOMETHING when you buff your sealant off. I would say, since you have the opportunity, use ONLY microfiber and nothing else. This gives you the least chance of having anything put swirls in your paint. The best way to dry a car, for me, has been to use a leaf blower. If the paint has sealant on it the water will run right off and you can clean up any excess drips with a microfiber towel. To remove embedded contaminants, use a claybar, and then finish off with the sealant of your choice. since the paint is so new you shouldn't need to polish, and if you handle it correctly, you may not have to for a very long time. Keep it sealed/waxed and you will have a nice shiny car for a nice long time.

-Tom
Old 09-09-2003, 11:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

what about a california water blade that has always left me scratch free
Old 09-10-2003, 06:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Zaino Z-2 or Z-5 can almost be applied immediately. Do NOT use the Z-1 or ZFX for 1-2 weeks.

Use an electric leaf blower to blow all the excess water off and then gently complete drying.
Old 09-10-2003, 08:57 AM
Humanitarian

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't even wash the car until the 6 weeks have passed. 6 weeks and know your safe or take a chance on a paint job you'll probaly have for quite a few years.

Detail the interior while your waiting, shampoo the carpet/seats, that'll take some time ;-)

Quick Reply: New paint and Zaino