Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Who has had their interior painted over a year?

Old 09-22-2008, 02:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who has had their interior painted over a year?

Ive done a search and all I can find are ppl who have recently painted their interiors. I want to see pics after the interior has been painted for a year or more. Im thinking of painting my interior black. I want to paint the sail panels, hatch panels, kick panels, and dye the carpet and seats. I dont want to sand the texture off, i want it to look factory, just change the color from dark gray to black. Who has painted and dyed their carpet over a year a go? How has it held up and what materials did you use. Im concerned about the paint scratching over time and it cracking from flex in the plastic. Thanks guys.
Old 09-22-2008, 03:02 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was gonna paint all mine but stopped after the rear hatch sides. It's been probably damn near a year & I daily drive mine along with parking in the sun daily. Just use Kyrlon Fusion in black. You can keep the texture & the paint is hard to scratch off. Of coarse like any painted surface it can be scratched, but to scratch it off you'd have to be pretty ruff with it.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:16 AM
Staging Lane

anyone else?
Old 05-20-2009, 08:38 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

i have done some its been nearly 8 years but mine was sanded smooth primed painted and cleared (used duplicolor so not to professional lol) , painted the arm rests and such red vent rings speaker grills and door bezels and such. its help up pretty well but the arm rests (the soft vynil part) has been repainted 2 times now, i wouldnt recomend it for the time i say save some money some parts or get the leather wrap kit from specialized stainless.

my .02

quick pic

Old 05-20-2009, 02:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mine's been done since 2003 but I'm tired of it and it's going to be all gone. I plan to wrap it in vinyl....door panels that is and I'm working on a new console which will be shaved like the current one and painted. Only trouble now is I lost my job so I dont know when it will get done . I had great luck with SEM vinyl paint which is what I think Mike used too.

I had the dash piece and radio trim though painted by a friend....much better results with the clear coat then me using the rattle can stuff!

Not the best pic . I was in the middle of redoing some stuff so there's part missing in the pic and this was before the hood got painted :p

Old 05-20-2009, 02:36 PM
Staging Lane

Well I have dark grey interior plastics, but my car is black and my dash and console are black. I just thought it might look better if i painted everything else black to match. But I didnt want to do it if it looks cheap or scratches up really easy. Plus, ppl who are selling the 99-02 ebony interior want tons of $$. I've read about ppl painting their plastics, I just wasnt sure how long it actually held up.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you're just doing to do the plastic pieces then I'd highly recommend the SEM paint. It looks just like stock. My dash was severely discolored with light brown and splotchiness...just horrible. I used the SEM and was so thrilled with the results. Here's a close up of the dash I painted. If you decide to use this product make sure you get the soap and prep for it.

Old 05-20-2009, 04:20 PM
TECH Resident

wait u painted the vynal?
Old 05-20-2009, 05:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by x2jesse1x
wait u painted the vynal?

If you're talking to me yes I painted the vinyl. It's paint specifically made for painting vinyl. They call it "dye" but technically its a paint
Old 05-20-2009, 07:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine is going on 3 years now! Krylon Fusion satin black on the hard plastic. SEM GM black vinyl dye (paint) for the dash, console lid, steering wheel and arm rests. It holds up great and looks like factory. The best part is, you can always go back over it if you need to.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Who has had their interior painted over a year?