Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

what the hell is wrong with my new chrome Z06's??????

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2003, 08:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what the hell is wrong with my new chrome Z06's??????

I noticed after washing my wheels and driving around a while...that one wheel is horribly tarnished/faded/worn on the dish of the rear drivers side wheel, these are chrome 18x9.5 Z06 wheels by AFS, brand new...the other wheels have some spots as well in the dish, the spots are white in color and feel rough compared to the chrome surface of the dish...when shipped, they were perfect, but now what??? after driving tonite, I smelled from that drivers side wheel a major burning smell, smells like it was comming from the brakes or calipers maybe...maybe a leak, ne ideas??? wtf, I called AFS, they have to call me back, I fuc$in use the absorber on the dish, I'm a pefectionist, now I'm pissed off! please help...
Old 09-08-2003, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: what the hell is wrong with my new chrome Z06's??????

Show us some pics of this mess
Old 09-08-2003, 10:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

sorry, don't have ne, c'mon, ne one else out there with this problem, I'm on the verge of losing it...I just made tall cash for these dam wheels, now...worse come to shove, I'm going to have to exchange them for a new set, with shipping at my expense! I'm sooo frustrated and it doesn't help having rage problems, please help me at least keep it together
Old 09-09-2003, 08:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your referring to the inside of the wheel. behind the spokes, does it look like little black raised spots? If so, this is normal on chrome plated rims. They refer to it as "tittling". It's the nickel coat they put on the rims to chrome them picking up. Good news is that it won't hurt anything, just looks like ***. As long as the CHROME on the face of the wheel isn't lifting, you're fine. This is why I'll never get another set of chrome rims. It just looked bad and I couldn't do anything about it.
Old 09-09-2003, 08:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Unfortunately many manufacturers of chrome wheels do not finish or do a very half assed attempt of coating the inside "no veiwable are of the wheel. If the finish inside the wheels is marginal at best you could snad it smooth and spray it with a nice coat of silver paint and clear coat designed dfor wheels, just mask off the backside of the spokes all you will be golden.

Quick Reply: what the hell is wrong with my new chrome Z06's??????