Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How to remove dash from an F-Body

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 10:41 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How to remove dash from an F-Body

Ok, I'm going to be pulling the dash from my SS soon and replacing it with one from a TA (doors too). I will be completing my sound damping to this area while parts our out.

I've done a search but cant find any instructions (step by step would be nice)on how to remove the dash. I don't have a problem jumping in there and removing things but has anyone done this before? I would like to know what problems i could run into ahead of time if possible.

thanks!
Old 09-30-2008, 12:40 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Not sure if a Haynes manual covers that, but I'd think that it would.

At the very least you can look for instructions on fixing/replacing the HVAC ducting (cause it's way back in there).
Old 09-30-2008, 02:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

There was a write up in the Drag forum.

But there are a ton of 7mm bolts. I started by removing seats and centerconsol for room to move. Then start with the a-pillers, then upper dash cover lifts up(velcro). Then you need to understand that where are two ways the dash is mounted.
1-bolted to car
2- bolted to metal mid structur

I think there is also 8mm, 10mm, and 14mm? also panel popper to release the push in trees on the wiring harness. the biggest size is to drop the sterring column. It is nice to have two people at least at the end when you lift the dash over the wheel as not to damage the leather wheel.

Be carefull on the droping the wheel as it will pull on the wires.

It takes a long time as after removing like 30bolts it seams you always miss a few. The biggest problem you will have as I think you are keeping the HVAC is removing it to sound deadening. AS the firewall is like 60% covered in plastic dash vents. and the hardest bolt is screwed in from the engine bay. And the bolt is behind the motor. Also the hvac has screws from inside and outside.

All I can remember. Hope it helps.
Old 09-30-2008, 02:53 PM
On The Tree

ZexGX: i was able to find some good write ups using your HVAC search idea, thanks!

2FAST4U: thanks for your added advice. after searching I found some pictures of a dash removed and noticed there was a lot of plastic covering the firewall so i see what you're talking about. I don't plan on deleting anything behind the dash so I'll have to come up with a game plan if i decide to dampen.

Here's a decent one for anybody thats looking.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...t=hvac+removal

thank you both.

Last edited by MyKeySS; 09-30-2008 at 03:00 PM.

Quick Reply: How to remove dash from an F-Body