Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

My mecham hood is falling apart....

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2003, 09:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My mecham hood is falling apart....

So, I got a call from the body shop today asking me if I was sure I wanted to put this hood back on the car after the paint... Imagine my suprise when I ask what they are talking about.

I go down to look at it and find several major issues - it is delaminating itself along the seam closest to the windshield (8 in crack where the 2 pieces meet).

Worse than that - there is a 5 inch crack within 3 inches of the fricking LATCH mechanism..... Honestly looks like at some point the bottom half will stay bolted to the car and the top section of hood is going to fly away.

Not really what I want to be thinking about at 100+ mph at the track. He said he could fix it, but thought it would take about 8-10 hours worth of work to do it right.... 500 bucks to repair a 950 dollar hood?

I'm done with it - I've got some pics of the damage but no host. Wish I was a fiberglass repairman..lol. Guess I am going to have to put the stock hood back on for this season - maybe someone will want this thing to practice on!

Sorry for the rant, just upset that the hood I love so much is such a piece of crap. I have had it for less than a year (bought it used from a board member) and I've never seen a fiberglass hood do this stuff before.

Bottom line - Mecham just lost one of their cheerleaders. Everyone tried to tell me their Quality Control wasn't great - but I certainly didn't anticipate a safety hazard!!:thumbdn:

Cole
Old 09-10-2003, 10:02 PM
TECH Resident

Default Re: My mecham hood is falling apart....

Sorry to hear about your woes. It's too bad about the Mecham stuff being that it looks so good.
Old 09-10-2003, 10:03 PM
TECH Addict

That truly sucks I really wanted to buy one of their hoods. I am able to do fiberglass repair but I'll be damned if I pay 1k for a hood and have to spend 10hrs working on it to make it right.
Sorry to hear you had to be a product tester for Mecham. I certainly won't be buying from them after hearing stories like this.
Old 09-10-2003, 11:06 PM
On The Tree

Old 09-11-2003, 07:53 AM
Launching!

I had a friend of mine order one of their hoods and it came in terrible condition aswell. I will never order from them.