Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

do i need a MVB?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 05:39 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question do i need a MVB?

Im just wondering why do most of TH400 here in LS1tech got a MVB, either RMVB or FMVD

The question is, do i really have to get a MVB or not?!
from my little experience is the MVB means you have to shift it yourself, all the time, up and down. Whatever gear you put it in it stays in that gear until you shift it.

If im right that's mean if im going to but a shift kit like that one for example:

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...0&autoview=sku

Is that will be enough to give me a full manual control?!l

sorry for asking but im not a trans man and im buliding my TH400 for the streets this month.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by SUPER_CHEVY; 10-10-2008 at 06:34 PM.
Old 10-11-2008, 02:48 PM
Launching!

anyone?
Old 10-11-2008, 04:47 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That kit is not a full manual VB kit. Reread the link you posted it says "Full Manual: No ". Most guys run a manual vb kit in these units because it allows them to get the trans to shift when it is best for their combination. Also with most RMVB setups most guys are running a trans brake. I personally for a race car using a TH400 I would only use a reverse manual combination. Vince
Old 10-12-2008, 08:19 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
That kit is not a full manual VB kit. Reread the link you posted it says "Full Manual: No ". Most guys run a manual vb kit in these units because it allows them to get the trans to shift when it is best for their combination. Also with most RMVB setups most guys are running a trans brake. I personally for a race car using a TH400 I would only use a reverse manual combination. Vince

so there is no shift kit will give me the a full manual control?

btw, its not a race car.. it is a weekend street toy

Thanks anyway Vince
Old 10-12-2008, 08:41 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a kit from transgo that should give you what you are looking for. Either the hd2 or the hd3 kit IIRC. Vince
Old 10-12-2008, 11:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 92 Likes on 55 Posts

The TransGo 400-3 kit will provide full manual control. However there are better ways to do it, especially if you are building the trans and not just installing a VB.

I've done TH400's for up to 850 FWHP and retained automatic function witout issue, and I don't see them running into any problems at up to 1000 FWHP. After that the full time line pressure of a manual VB would be best IMO.

There are some tricks that need to be done to make it live using auto function at that level though. Dual feeding, elimination of 3rd gear cutback, etc.

No reason to go full manual unless you either simply "want" to or you are at an elevated HP level. The full time line pressure of most full manual VBs causes more pump wear and if the pressures are too high can cause transmission failure in a TH400.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:47 AM
On The Tree

put in the man/ auto shift kit from transgo and call it a day youll love it
Old 10-13-2008, 12:43 PM
Launching!

can i get the normal automatic operation when in "drive" with the TransGo 400-3 kit?
or it is just like the MVB- full manual control?

Thanks guys
Old 10-13-2008, 12:59 PM
TECH Resident

The 400-3 kit can be setup as auto or full manual function. It is also easily reversible from full manual to auto function.

The GOOD thing about the TG kit is that for a street application, it maintains vacuum modulator function, lessening wear on the pump, sealing rings, etc.

However unless you just want full manual shifts ( I think they get old on a street car) you could install it, or the TransGo 400- 1&2.

However my experience has been that the TransGo setup, although the best on the market, isn't adequate when the power level gets higher. Around 500 hp seems to be the level that the 400 kit starts to have issues.

It does everything that needs to be donefor automatic function, and it is the only kit on the market that dual feeds the direct clutches on a TH400 without internal mods. However, the method it uses feeds to slow. The clutches will slowly go away on a car that is drag raced often. I discovered this on a Chevelle running low 11's/high 10's. I started doing the internal dual feed mods and they run into the 9's no problem. The plus side of this is that it is actually less expensive than buying the kit.

If you are just doing a kit in the driveway or on the lift, the TransGo is the only way to go, if you are rebuilding the trans, make the mods internally.

You can also fairly easily make your own full manual forward pattern VB for the TH400.
Old 10-18-2008, 12:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jakeshoe
The 400-3 kit can be setup as auto or full manual function. It is also easily reversible from full manual to auto function.

The GOOD thing about the TG kit is that for a street application, it maintains vacuum modulator function, lessening wear on the pump, sealing rings, etc.

However unless you just want full manual shifts ( I think they get old on a street car) you could install it, or the TransGo 400- 1&2.

However my experience has been that the TransGo setup, although the best on the market, isn't adequate when the power level gets higher. Around 500 hp seems to be the level that the 400 kit starts to have issues.

It does everything that needs to be donefor automatic function, and it is the only kit on the market that dual feeds the direct clutches on a TH400 without internal mods. However, the method it uses feeds to slow. The clutches will slowly go away on a car that is drag raced often. I discovered this on a Chevelle running low 11's/high 10's. I started doing the internal dual feed mods and they run into the 9's no problem. The plus side of this is that it is actually less expensive than buying the kit.

If you are just doing a kit in the driveway or on the lift, the TransGo is the only way to go, if you are rebuilding the trans, make the mods internally.

You can also fairly easily make your own full manual forward pattern VB for the TH400.

Do you mean this one "TRG-400-3" :

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

or that "TRG-400-S" :

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

because according to Summit only the second one "TRG-400-S" that provide full-manual control..

What do you think guys?
Old 10-18-2008, 01:23 PM
TECH Resident

400-3 in the description on Summit's site says
"Shift Kit, Stick Type, GM, 400 1965 + up, Full Race, Each "

The "S" kit may be the commercial version with video, the -3 kit is more oriented for professional installers usually.

I haven't used the TransGo kit in a TH400 for a couple of years now because I do my own mods and it has proven more reliable under higher power. However their kit is better designed than any other I have ever seen.

Either of those kits will provide full manual control.

The kits do come with some good internal upgrades like pressure regulator spring, intermediate snap ring, etc, however all these items can be sourced individually and you can build your own full manual VB for the TH400.

Simply loop the governor circuit, omit the governor tubes and governor, plug the holes in the back of the VB, do the low control mod to the 1-2 shift valve, and some mods to the modulator circuit and reverse boost to prevent sky high line in reverse.
Old 10-18-2008, 02:39 PM
Launching!

Every day I learn something new

Thanks alot, really appreciate your help dude.

Quick Reply: do i need a MVB?