Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Third and forth went out, what now?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 01:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Third and forth went out, what now?

Well my 4L60E decided to take a crap on me last night after trying to run a GTO. After I went WOT from about 35mph it started to slip really bad. 1st and 2nd are just fine but once it shifts out of second the transmission slips to about 4k rpm and won't go into lock up either. I assume that's just because the car thinks I am trying to downshift. I checked the fluid as soon as I got it parked, about 2 miles after it happened, it's still red but smells slightly burnt. I ended up towing the car home in hope of saving the converter.

My question is, what now? I want to try and fix this myself, but I don't have any experience with transmissions. The last guy who rebuilt the transmission for me used the TCI mater rebuild kit and told me that he really didn't like the clutch packs that were provided... I assume the 3-4 clutch pack is the problem.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!
Old 10-19-2008, 02:03 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

For the best results I would just get a built trans from one of the sponsors here, I would not attempt repair on my own if i had no experience In many cases this just proves to be more expensive than just buying a trans,
If we can be of any help let us know
Frank at PerformaBuilt

Call 888-744-6542

Old 10-19-2008, 03:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am not really looking to spend that much. Nothing wrong with any of the sponsors but I am on a TIGHT budget. I have done everything from paint and body work to building motors, I think I could handle it with the right help, right tools and a little bit of patience. I was looking at getting some parts through this place if my local hook up can't help. http://www.transmissioncenter.net/

Last edited by Matts94Z28; 10-19-2008 at 03:35 PM.
Old 10-19-2008, 03:44 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you might think you can handle it but i do all my own work on everything but transmissions...i reabuild rear ends built motors rebuild cars from the ground but no trannys exspecially 60e's has specific measurements that need to be in there to get them to perform...you goana have to spend at least 1000 to get it rebuilt to be beaten(sp?) on and survive...
Old 10-19-2008, 05:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Yea, I've done all kinds of **** to my car..Engine and Wiring, and I won't touch an Auto. I'll tear down a T56 any day before I **** with an Automatic internally. That is a whole different world.
Old 10-19-2008, 06:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Matts94Z28
I am not really looking to spend that much. Nothing wrong with any of the sponsors but I am on a TIGHT budget. I have done everything from paint and body work to building motors, I think I could handle it with the right help, right tools and a little bit of patience. I was looking at getting some parts through this place if my local hook up can't help. http://www.transmissioncenter.net/

i would seriously consider giving our sponsors a call man. ACE, FLT, Performabuilt all have great success with these transmission. i always hate seeing people go cheap on a transmission only to keep having it break over and over. i would just save up till u get a tranny beefed up by someone who really knows these transmissions. we have seen sooo many times of people who think they have a built tranny only too have so many problems.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Anyone else with any other adivse? You gotta learn sometime...
Old 10-20-2008, 12:11 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Well I will be more than happy to advise you in any way I can as you go about this , I was just saying there seem to be more failures than successes

Call 888-744-6542