Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting 3200 stall and shift kit installed very soon

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 05:26 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Getting 3200 stall and shift kit installed very soon

Well I can't wait to get my stuff and get them in my TA. Never driven a ride with a 3200 stall and shift kit. I was told the difference is night and day. Also, it will feel like a new car. So is there anyone out there that currently have Vigilante 3200 stall and/or transgo shift kit setup? If so, I would like inputs.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:51 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've driven a car with a 3200 stall speed, it is amazingly better than the factory crap, haven't driven one with a shift kit in it.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:32 PM
TECH Addict

I have been told not to run a shift kit with a stall on a stock transmission. just for the simple fact my boys z with 33k on the clock making 370 hp with a stall and kit transmission went in 3 days of just crusing hell i was in tha car.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:41 PM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Say no to shift kits.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:44 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by OUTLAWZ RACING
I have been told not to run a shift kit with a stall on a stock transmission. just for the simple fact my boys z with 33k on the clock making 370 hp with a stall and kit transmission went in 3 days of just crusing hell i was in tha car.
Damn the tranny went?! That's funny because the vig stall I ordered came with the shift kit as a package from thunderracing. They sell the stall with or without a shift kit. I asked them is it ok to run the stall with the shift kit and they said yes. I can't imagine thunderracing would tell a customer wrong seeing that they are such reputable business. However, I heard some stall companies advised against using shift kits. Well, at least that's what some people said here on this forum. I guess it's how the stalls are built. I don't know.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:49 PM
Trunion King

I don't see why would anyone need a shiftkit w/ a stall? Just have the stall tuned for shiftpoints, line pressure, TQ MGMT, ect.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:53 PM
Staging Lane

im running a shift kit in my auto, i can't say it made a huge difference in performance but i guess it's better for the tranny less wear on the bands, it shifts much harder than stock, and you can really feel the car downshift, i have two washers in mine, but i cant wait to get my built tranny and stall.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:57 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by bene
I don't see why would anyone need a shiftkit w/ a stall? Just have the stall tuned for shiftpoints, line pressure, TQ MGMT, ect.
Ok I will try and see. I havent got the stuff yet. I will do some more research on this matter. I will have a reputable shop where I live install the stall. I know these guys for a long time. So I ask them and see. I understand what you saying. I read the sticky that was written that shift kits are not required but it's good to have to quicken shifts.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:22 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by MikeW72
im running a shift kit in my auto, i can't say it made a huge difference in performance but i guess it's better for the tranny less wear on the bands, it shifts much harder than stock, and you can really feel the car downshift, i have two washers in mine, but i cant wait to get my built tranny and stall.
I read that shift kits do save the tranny by reducing the wear and tear and gives it better shifts like you said. But I'm still researching it some more.
Old 10-31-2008, 02:04 PM
11 Second Club

I've always heard that a shift kit is a great idea as long as the transmission is in good working condition when it's installed. New Era Performance sells and installs them all the time with aftermarket converters.

I would go ahead and have it installed with the converter. I know when I had my first converter installed (TCI 3500) it was definately a night and day difference. I also know that there was no way I could ever drive on a stock stall again

Good luck.
Old 10-31-2008, 05:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a 3200 Vig. From what I've read you have 2 choices. If you install a shift kit, leave the line pressure stock. My car does not have a shift kit but the line pressure was increased. Car shifts real nice.
Old 10-31-2008, 06:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bene
Upping your line pressure is not going to take place of a shift kit. If anything upping the line pressure to make it shift hard is going to shorten the life of your trans.
Old 10-31-2008, 06:12 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Your aftermarket converter is smaller and is going to move a lot less fluid. It's good to open up the holes in the separator plate for better oiling. I like this mechanical approach rather than just bumping up line pressure. The Transgo TCC valve eliminates PWM, which is hell on your clutch. The Transgo kit provides a number of other little tweaks that make for a better tranny. That's why our major sponsors use it in their upgraded units.

Installation of the Transgo kit plus tuning (shift points, etc.) will give you very satisfying performance from your tranny. I have a Yank 3600 plus the Transgo and I wouldn't have a converter without it.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

i bought a shift kit with my stall then sold it once it got here bc i found out no local trans shops would take my 100K trans apart without a "refresh". i had my tuner delete torque management and firm the shifts. it will shift very soft with the converter as a cushion.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:39 PM
10 Second Club

I had a B&M shift kit after my Vig.3600 and i never had an issue and i ran 11.00's and
10.9's @ 127mph with a 125hp wet kit and it never slipped. I was told that the shift kit adjust how the tranny fluid flows thru the valve body and other stuff that the PCM doesn't
control and it lets the base line pressure to be alittle higher than stock which helps the clutches and bands from slipping as much...i think the TransGo-HD2 has even more control over the base pressures helping to keeps tranny temps lower, but if you have HPT, EFILive i'm sure you can accomplish most alot, but also a tranny cooler is a must too.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:54 PM
Trunion King

Originally Posted by c0ncEpT
Upping your line pressure is not going to take place of a shift kit. If anything upping the line pressure to make it shift hard is going to shorten the life of your trans.
Really? I have my stalled tranny W/O a shift kit for over 2 years/ 70K miles and mine still shifts like its stock.

If you're going to mess w/ tranny internally just save up some money and buy a built FLT or ACES tranny instead of messing w/ the shiftkits.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:59 PM
10 Second Club

there's a little more to the shift properties of the trans that cant be altered merely with the electronic side of tuning. the shift kit works on the mechanical side. the 4l60e is a time bomb just ticking away. a built trans is a necessity for optimal performance
Old 11-02-2008, 06:11 PM
10 Second Club

Agreed...when i got my Vig.3600 converter installed i still had a shift kit put in cause
there are things a shift kit can help with or beef up or whatever term you wanna use that
LS1-Edit couldn't do, especially back in 2002. But even today as good as EFILive and HPT is a good shift kit and tranny cooler can go along way.

Quick Reply: Getting 3200 stall and shift kit installed very soon